U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 08:20 AM

8,088 posts, read 8,418,709 times

Advertisements

Implementing a business plan for a small e-commerce site.

I went here and viewed these:
The Top eCommerce Builders

Anyone use the sites listed or another not listed?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 12:26 PM

4,248 posts, read 9,854,364 times
Depends on what kind of site you want and what it will be doing for you.

For a basic website design I LOVE Max Creatrive and I host through GoDaddy as they have 24/7 customer service - I've been in ecommerce for 13 years now.

BTW, wordpress sites are now the way to go.

Last edited by adventuregurl; 01-03-2013 at 01:18 PM..

Old 01-03-2013, 12:46 PM

8,088 posts, read 8,418,709 times
Thanks. I secured the domain name but did not select a host yet.

This weekend though. Will write back.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:19 PM

4,248 posts, read 9,854,364 times
You don't need to pay a lot for hosting, GoDaddy is cheap and has been better than some that I paid more for (they had one problem once and it was down for part of a day but that's better than some others I've used).

Old 01-03-2013, 03:42 PM

231 posts, read 592,276 times
A lot will depend on what type of eCommerce site you want. In order words, what do you intend to sell? For handmade type crafts, etsy.com might work for you. I use it for westofkeywest.com. It's basically free. I pay $0.20 per item to list and a percentage commission for each item sold. They handle PayPal and credit card processing for you. However, if you intend to resell items this site won't work for you.

You might also try an Ebay store. Like Etsy, lots of the details are done for you. You focus on business side and leave the site management to others.

Dave

Old 01-04-2013, 06:59 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,108,254 times
I use Wordpress for my sites and host them at BlueHost.
I also have a 1&1, as a backup host but mainly use it for image storage. I have not used their site builder but I hear it's pretty decent.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:43 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,869,659 times
I went to the link the OP provided. This is just a list of affiliate links. They are not suggesting those sites because they are good, they are suggesting those sites because they get paid when you click the "visit site" button and sign up for service.

If you're not knowledgeable about e-commerce yet, I'd suggest getting personalized advice even if you have to pay for it. Here's the thing, the service that you choose depends a lot on your own technical skill / comfort level. If you are more concerned with getting your store up and running quickly, and don't care about paying more money every month, pre-built shopping carts like 1shoppingcart.com are a good but expensive option. They already integrate very easily with the major payment processors and things like data security, newsletter management, user accounts, and affiliate programs are all available without having to do any custom coding. At the other end of the spectrum, if you want the greatest level of customization and you don't mind the upfront cost and time required for custom coding, you can use an inexpensive web host like HostGator with a free platform like Magento or Wordpress. If you choose this option you will also be responsible for purchasing and maintaining an SSL certificate for your domain, and you might still need to figure out solutions for things like newsletter management or affiliate programs.

If you don't know where you fall on this spectrum, I would suggest paying for an hour or 2 of consulting to get some advice about what will be the best fit for you personally. If you do know where you fall on that spectrum, post that here and I can give more specific advice.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:57 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,985 posts, read 6,080,523 times
shopify is a very popular one among the young because its easy and more attractive..however its (much) more expensive and they charge a transaction fee..(ugh no)

yahoo carts are dated and too expensive..

bigcommerce is fine but misses key features however you get more for your buck and the back end makes it easy so you can do everything yourself

never heard of #1

i heard volusion has great support, they are a bit dated but i heard they are coming up in the world and very cheap

3d cart is standard...

Old 01-06-2013, 08:01 PM

505 posts, read 1,548,294 times
I don't recommend GoDaddy unless you're using it for a personal website with very minimal selling. Their 24/7 customer service isn't much help because anything they can do, you can do it by yourself through your customer portal. It is a total pain to NOT renew. They automatically bill you and you have to really fight to get any charges reversed if you don't plan on renewing your hosting or domain name so just a heads up.

Of the "build your site" websites, Volusion and Bigcommerce are the two best. I have two ecommerce sites on BC and one on Volusion. Volusion is more robust, but it has a few features missing that BC has and vice versa so you'll have to really see which ones are better suited for what you need.

And as many others have said, there are many free alternatives such as Blogger (which you can sell stuff on via Paypal and cart plug-ins) or minimize your costs and opt for either an eBay store, Etsy, or a number of other auction type sites.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:05 PM

24,497 posts, read 37,429,587 times
We use Amazon to host our site. It was developed in-house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business