U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 02:08 AM

2,572 posts, read 6,961,922 times

Advertisements

Personally I would not do it for less than 20 to 30%. Lower or higher depending on the items. Some things are way easier to sell in terms of the time involved in photographing and listing an item (not in terms of how well it will sell). For me, books are a cinch. Clothes are a pain because of measurements and the need for many many photos. I sell both, personally, but when others ask me to sell for them I am more picky.

Also, I would make sure your friend knows that their stuff might not sell at all. It's been my experience that anytime someone finds out I sell on ebay they want to bring me their junk and they overvalue all of it. So they need to understand that it may be hit or miss and not have their feelings hurt over it.

As for shipping; I have not experienced any issues with printing labels at home (except for my own stupid printer not behaving), either via PayPal or directly from the USPS site. I also have a postal scale I bought (on ebay) for under $20 that is worth four times that much since I can provide exact postage costs.

Our post office, I think, still has a self service kiosk option in the lobby where you can weigh your package, print the postage, and drop it in the box right there without standing in line or having to go when the PO is open. At least, I think they still have that option!?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 09:54 AM

16,496 posts, read 19,284,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural lady View Post
Are you being sarcastic?
No, not really. I used stamps for about a year to ship to eBay buyers. I eventually switched to endicia because it was more convenient, but stamps worked just fine.

Quote:
Sending out an item without a delivery confirmation? or shipping Int'l without a customs#?
Nobody brought up international until now - that's a little more complicated.

Quote:
I don't need trouble with dishonest buyers, let alone bad feedback
I was selling my products on eBay for four or five years, and never used delivery confirmation. I also never got a negative feedback.

I guess it depends on what you're selling, and what kind of people are buying. I was selling a specialty item that I made for use with scientific instruments. I had a friend that sold jewelry on eBay full time - he had the kinds of problems you describe. Frankly, I don't know why he was doing it. eBay (including PayPal) was getting more from each sale than he was, he always had people trying to scam him or talk him down on his prices, which were already too low to make any money, etc.

Like I said earlier, I don't see eBay as being the proper vehicle for a startup anymore. It's very expensive, they're constantly changing their terms - unfavorably if you're a seller - and you're literally at their mercy for your survival. It's a bad strategy. Using it as one facet of a marketing strategy is not a bad idea, but that site is not a basket you want to put all your eggs into. Set up your own site, with your own shopping cart, list your products in Google Shopping and THEN think about putting a few things on eBay, at a higher price than your own site.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:23 AM

11,488 posts, read 16,162,878 times
I sold some items for a friend at 20% me and 80% them.
Now it's 50%-50%.

I've never used stamps because I don't want to put more stamps on the package than is required to to get it there. I use Paypal to create shipping labels. This gives me the delivery confirmation for free.
That saves 80 cents versus taking the package to the post office, and I can hand it to the carrier and that saves trips to the post office.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:23 PM

13,471 posts, read 18,537,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Calculate your shipping to the furthest point in the country and let that be your shipping for all like items.
If you sell items for other people, as mentioned, you don't want their items to cause you to get any negative feedbacks. If the items condition are just to hard to accurately describe or you can not get good closeup photos, then that item may be a negative feedback in progress if you list it.

I get manila envelopes from the post office inside trash cans, and boxes thrown out by local businesses.
That can cut your cost for supplies.
Well, that's just not true. Ship USPS, and you have free boxes and flat rate, that you pass onto buyer. That, of course, is greatly limited to the item size. There is very little volume difference between their medium and large flat rate boxes. But I used to do same, scavenge boxes and packing materials and such - no need to for reasonable sized items.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:24 PM

13,471 posts, read 18,537,695 times
Quote:
I sold some items for a friend at 20% me and 80% them.
Now it's 50%-50%.

I've never used stamps because I don't want to put more stamps on the package than is required to to get it there. I use Paypal to create shipping labels. This gives me the delivery confirmation for free.
That saves 80 cents versus taking the package to the post office, and I can hand it to the carrier and that saves trips to the post office.

True. HUGE difference between using PP shipping service and paying on USPS site, in costs.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Well, that's just not true. Ship USPS, and you have free boxes and flat rate, that you pass onto buyer. That, of course, is greatly limited to the item size. There is very little volume difference between their medium and large flat rate boxes. But I used to do same, scavenge boxes and packing materials and such - no need to for reasonable sized items.
What's not true?
I've tried the USPS priority boxes and they never fit.
One inch to short, or one inch too wide, or one inch too slender. I have never used their boxes.
The prices on their priority mail is too high and the boxes never match the item.

I use first class (13 ounces and under) parcel post and create my shipping labels on Paypal and get free delivery confirmation.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:25 AM

4,575 posts, read 10,429,792 times
My business is programming fuel injection chips (calibration modules), and is bigger than the current auction I have on E-Bay at anytime. I've always used USPS Priority, because I send send from one end of the country to the other in 3 days or less typically. UPS ground is always 7 to 10 days. I always used the point of sale machine at the post office until I moved here to Nevada. My local post here does not have a machine for 24 hour use, so I learned to go online and print my own labels. Label is printed and mailman picks it up out of mail box, or I take it to the mailbox a mile away. Post office is 12 miles away, so I try to avoid going that far. I can also print international labels directly from my PC, and it's treated the same way. Customers are very happy and most of my feedback is about how fast they got it. UPS has a better tracking system, but they've screwed up as much stuff as USPS IMHO. I also try an avoid shipping at Xmas if possible, but it does slow at that time of year.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:35 AM

9,261 posts, read 17,974,625 times
Quote:
Right now a lot of ebayer's are not able to print labels on that site or paypal because they keep updating the site all of last year and up till now, pictures take forever to upload, then you look at a listing and the picture does not load, some have no choice but to use stamps.com but that is $15.99 a month. Thank G someone helped me.
I've never had a problem printing labels from eBay or getting pictures to upload. Sounds more like a problem with connection speed than eBay.

Quote:
I use first class (13 ounces and under) parcel post and create my shipping labels on Paypal and get free delivery confirmation.
First Class and Parcel Post are two different services. Parcel Post has no weight limit (well, it does, but it's 70 lbs, same as Priority Mail) and delivery confirmation isn't free.

Last edited by duster1979; 02-04-2013 at 10:36 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-04-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I've never had a problem printing labels from eBay or getting pictures to upload. Sounds more like a problem with connection speed than eBay.

First Class and Parcel Post are two different services. Parcel Post has no weight limit (well, it does, but it's 70 lbs, same as Priority Mail) and delivery confirmation isn't free.

Typo.....I use First Class for 13 ounces and under, the weight limit.
For over 13 ounces I use parcel post.
I create and pay for my postage using Paypal on Ebay sold items.
Sometimes delivery confirmation is 16 cents and sometimes free, both good savings over the 80 cents retail. It's always 16 cents or free if you use Paypal to pay for your labels. Downside is ink used to print.
Upside, I can hand the package to the carrier and no trip to the post office and savings on delivery confirmation. That is also being re-named. I think it will be called "universal tracking" (???)

You can not use Parcel Post on Ebay-Paypal right now.
Parcel Post is now known as Standard Post (retail) or Parcel Select (online).

EBay won't be ready to print parcel select labels until some time in March.

-------------------------------------------------
Parcel Select® for Business From $2.16 for Commercial Pricing

Parcel Select Lightweight™ Irregular for Business From $0.90

Parcel Select Lightweight Machinable for Business From $0.92

Standard Post™ - Retail From $5.60 at the Post Office

www.usps.com

And it look like tracking is going up to 90 cents:

From $0.90 at a Post Office
From $0.20 paid online
No charge with: Priority Mail, Standard Post, Parcel Select, First-Class Package Service, First-Class Mail parcels (electronic option)

Last edited by howard555; 02-04-2013 at 10:54 AM..

Old 02-07-2013, 03:49 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,422,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
No, not really. I used stamps for about a year to ship to eBay buyers. I eventually switched to endicia because it was more convenient, but stamps worked just fine.

Nobody brought up international until now - that's a little more complicated.

I was selling my products on eBay for four or five years, and never used delivery confirmation. I also never got a negative feedback.

I guess it depends on what you're selling, and what kind of people are buying. I was selling a specialty item that I made for use with scientific instruments. I had a friend that sold jewelry on eBay full time - he had the kinds of problems you describe. Frankly, I don't know why he was doing it. eBay (including PayPal) was getting more from each sale than he was, he always had people trying to scam him or talk him down on his prices, which were already too low to make any money, etc.

Like I said earlier, I don't see eBay as being the proper vehicle for a startup anymore. It's very expensive, they're constantly changing their terms - unfavorably if you're a seller - and you're literally at their mercy for your survival. It's a bad strategy. Using it as one facet of a marketing strategy is not a bad idea, but that site is not a basket you want to put all your eggs into. Set up your own site, with your own shopping cart, list your products in Google Shopping and THEN think about putting a few things on eBay, at a higher price than your own site.

I sell a specialty product, I just happened to search for something one day and it never came up in the search, some of the same thing but not what I could sell.

I've been on ebay since 1999, I got started selling specialty electronic parts for one type of electronic device.

I rec'd 2 negatives in the past 14 yrs, of course that's not much but it happened as soon as ebay changed their feedback system. I had an idiot who didn't read the listing and he also had left neg's for a lot of his sellers, also his score is about 14 now and left 9 neg's and rude one's, I tried to get the neg removed but ebay would not remove it, they disregarded his rude emails, so I had the neg sitting there for 12 months, it does affect buyers from buying from you but I don't think it affected me much, but I know when I buy I click on the seller to see if any neg's especially the big sellers.

I've had a few problems with International buyers saying item was not rec'd, I know D well they rec'd it.

I also use insurance thru ebay, not all the time but when I see an Int'l buyer with low feedback who has joined ebay in the past 2 years I cringe, they are the ones I use insurance for, most are honest usually and I hate to say this but some with the name Mohammad or a name similar to that are the one's that try to pull a scam.

I find buyer's in Australia are great, I've never had no complaints, I sell more to Int'l buyer's and now that Int'l shipping had doubled in price it may affect me. When a buyer really wants something they are going to buy it, I know I do the same thing.

No ebay is not for start up's even with my specialty item I cannot live off of it.

Now ebay has the Bill me later, that was started to lure sellers to buy inventory and if not paid in 6 months interest would start with a very high rate, buyers use it also and I'd best most do not pay in the 6 months.

They just sent out another ebay user agreement, they just did that back in Sept. I think, I assume some sellers have started lawsuits against them and they missed prev. adding something to the user agreement.

Ebay has gotten greedy just like the other corporations, they forget the early day's and the sellers who came and made them who they are, now that Walmart middle men are sellers and drugstore dot com and the like are there show's the greed.

It's good if you find something at a garage sale or once in awhile find a designer brand of clothes at the goodwill but that's luck, most likely you need to go to thrift shops every day to find an item or two.

I'm sorry this post is so long, I just bought something at ebay, the listings view change one day and go back to the prev one the next day, I checked my messages and seen eBay's message about their new user agreement and constant messages you rec from them about ebay buck and the like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business