U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 08:44 AM

9,261 posts, read 17,974,625 times

Advertisements

[quote=rural lady;28282371]
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
The thread in the first link died out in October except for the last post which was from last Thursday. The third link was mostly from April, and the few posts since it was revived really don't reflect what you're talking about at all.

I don't see any need to go to the tech boards and mention Firefox. Like I said, I'm not having any problems so I see no benefit to it. I actually think it was someone on the eBay tech boards who turned me on to Firefox 10 years ago or so when I was having problems with viruses (Firefox has completely eliminated that IE problem, as well).

Oh, and if it depends where I live, wouldn't that be a problem with my IP provider rather than eBay?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 01:00 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,422,530 times
[quote=duster1979;28298856]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural lady View Post

The thread in the first link died out in October except for the last post which was from last Thursday. The third link was mostly from April, and the few posts since it was revived really don't reflect what you're talking about at all.

I don't see any need to go to the tech boards and mention Firefox. Like I said, I'm not having any problems so I see no benefit to it. I actually think it was someone on the eBay tech boards who turned me on to Firefox 10 years ago or so when I was having problems with viruses (Firefox has completely eliminated that IE problem, as well).

Oh, and if it depends where I live, wouldn't that be a problem with my IP provider rather than eBay?
It didn't die out, you must not have looked at all pages
shipping labels wont print: Community Help Boards: eBay Discussion Boards

Let's just call it a day

Old 02-28-2013, 07:10 AM

243 posts, read 1,025,969 times
Default Marketing a new brand - T-Shirts or Stickers?

wrong post, sorry

Old 04-24-2013, 03:12 AM

[quote=duster1979;28227421]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural lady View Post

You have a technical problem with eBay every day. I have never, ever had a technical problem with eBay. You use IE. I use Firefox. Do you not see the correlation here?
No, apparently ebay has fixed some of the problems after months, problems are still ongoing there, take a look at their tech forums.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:18 AM

Ebay is going to change their final value fee to 10%

They are trying to push sellers to use their global shipping program, I'm not doing it

You can be a top rated seller and lose that status in their evaluation period, who's evaluating your seller account? a machine at ebay

They want you to ship in 24 hours and upload tracking, that is not so for some sellers, a seller can print the label in 24 hours and not mail the package till 2 days later, that is not fair to other good sellers.

I've seen this happen with some purchases I made

Now they are going on about larger pictures, more pictures, there was a time we had to pay extra for more pictures.

Now that we being charged fee's on our shipping costs ebay makes out like a fat rat. Instead of weeding out the sellers who charged excessive shipping, they decided to charge everyone on their shipping and act like they are giving us God's blessing because picture's are free now. I don't know who in the H they think they are fooling.

They want you to add the shipping cost into the price so you can list as free shipping, everyone should know free shipping is not free.

This is what some sellers are doing with International sales, a normal price of an item say is $10.00 and $7.50 to ship, shipping to the USA is $3.00

There are always sellers who don't want to play by the rules to get out of the final value fee's so they do this flip.

List the price at 6.00 and the shipping is 11.50 for International = $17.50

The final value fee on Int'l shipping is 11% of the domestic price $3 x 11% =.33 ¢

11% of the sale price of $6 = .66 ¢

You take the total sale of $17.50 minus the .33 and the .66 = $16.51 on your Int'l sale - price to ship

The person who is on the level has listed at $10 and $7.50 to ship =$17.50

11% of the sale price of $10 =1.10 final value fee on shipping .33¢

$17.50 minus $1.10 and .33¢ =$16.07

The difference of .44¢ cents may not seem like much but it does add up quick when you are selling thousands of items, I don't know why ebay has not caught on to this because on that sale they are losing fee's, an enormous amount of fee's counting all the sellers who are doing this.

I can't sell like that, I don't want someone in the UK to think I am charging them $11.50 for shipping when it really is $7.50.

Ebay surely is one of the greediest corporations out there, they irritate the sellers at no end, I can see why some seller's are doing this to not pay extra fee's but it will be sellers like this who ruin it for everyone else, I can just see some more rules coming.....

Oh and I forgot to mention the paypal fee on Int'l sales 3.9% on the total sale price .98¢

Old 04-24-2013, 11:18 AM

43,012 posts, read 97,180,389 times
Are there viable ebay alternatives?

Old 04-25-2013, 01:35 PM

25,304 posts, read 17,172,407 times
I sold some stuff on eBAY recently after not selling for a while and found the changes interesting. I was pretty sure that they didn't use to charge fees on shipping and now they do...pretty ridiculous I think..

I could see charging on paypal

Also I got a promotion for 200,000 free (no insertion fee) listings. Not sure how many people they offered this to. I'm trying to list as much as I can .

I am selling some old NES games I bought a while back...it looks like prices have gone up in the past 2 1/2 years or so for them so that's good.

I'll have to look into that global shipping program, I guess if you can make larger profits on items by opening it up to a global audience it might be worth it for some products?

I'm not sure if I'll continue selling stuff on eBAY once I get rid of this stuff.

I do like it and it's kind of exciting seeing people bidding and selling stuff ...but it seems hard to make a profit on many items. I guess it just depends on what you are selling.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:39 AM

2,983 posts, read 6,693,874 times
When I sell items for friends and co-workers, I charge 20% of the final price and all the Ebay / Paypal fees are deducted from them. So I guess it works out to 33% after fees.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Are there viable ebay alternatives?
Amazon is the biggie but you have those huge stores competing against you such as Target, ecrater is another and ebid but ebid doesn't have much traffic

ecrater is a good site, no fee's, tho now I think if someone used google checkout you get a final value fee of 10% if I read their notice right, I think that has to do with your items having more exposure on google search now.I knew eventually this would happen to this site, google competing with paypal.

More buyers should check pricing on ecrater before they buy on ebay, usually the prices are 25% lower and they are the same sellers as on ebay plus you can contact the seller direct there without interference as ebay does.

With Amazon your item will appear if you click on see other sellers who have the product, you'd be down in the list unless that big seller happens to sell out.

It would be nice if someone like Warren Buffett started a similar site and put ebay in their place, of course that's not like him to get into the auction business

With ebay what buyers don't remember is to save the seller's paypal address they receive on their receipt of payment page from paypal. They could easily contact the seller that way & do a direct transaction next time, they would receive better pricing especially buyers in the UK and Australia etc. who pay more for shipping.

I've had buyers contact me direct which was good but most buyers usually don't do that with the fear from ebay not to do transactions outside of ebay. I can understand that because there are plenty of dishonest seller's out there. If you've bought from the same seller twice with a hard to find item, why wouldn't you contact seller direct? that seller is going to ship the item, they have their paypal reputation at stake. I have asked sellers if I could purchase direct for discount, some are glad to do it, some just will not do it.

A small business seller who has been with ebay for 7-10+ years I would trust to buy direct, they may only sell 15-25 items per month on ebay and have there own customers locally, these sellers are the worker bee's who actually work for a living, they have the product in stock and ship it themselves, some do not have ebay stores, I don't really care when buying if a seller has an ebay store or not.

Small seller's usually do not send an automatically sent email that usually reads with thank you, we value your business etc etc and about their 5 star rating and striving about feedback and tracking info. Then another email is sent from the seller to leave feedback. I think this is tackey or cheesy but that's just me. Ebay pushes this on you when you first become a seller, you can change your settings. I get tired of receiving emails like this from sellers, it junks up my email & I've already rec'd an email from paypal that I purchased it. I send the buyer a message through ebay once they purchase. Buyers should know to check their ebay page, the shipping tracking number is right in front of them.

The big sellers and power sellers who sell thousands of items per month are on Amazon also, they're not going to give you a discount and to me most of them are selling junk anyway from China. Most have their own sites that sell everything & are drop shippers, they have several ID's on ebay, these sellers can have 100 negatives and still have 100% feedback. These are the one's with misleading listing's and you best read the entire listing before you click the buy it now button.

I once purchased a DVD, after purchase I rec'd email from them asking if I wanted insurance on the DVD for the life of it. I contacted ebay and asked why is this allowed, they said once the seller has your email address the seller can do what they want, so that door swings both ways meaning the buyer can contact the seller directly.

The last thing I'd want to do is bother my buyers with solicitation email's like these guys but I'd surely welcome an email from my buyer

Old 04-29-2013, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I sold some stuff on eBAY recently after not selling for a while and found the changes interesting. I was pretty sure that they didn't use to charge fees on shipping and now they do...pretty ridiculous I think..

I could see charging on paypal

Also I got a promotion for 200,000 free (no insertion fee) listings. Not sure how many people they offered this to. I'm trying to list as much as I can .

I am selling some old NES games I bought a while back...it looks like prices have gone up in the past 2 1/2 years or so for them so that's good.

I'll have to look into that global shipping program, I guess if you can make larger profits on items by opening it up to a global audience it might be worth it for some products?

I'm not sure if I'll continue selling stuff on eBAY once I get rid of this stuff.

I do like it and it's kind of exciting seeing people bidding and selling stuff ...but it seems hard to make a profit on many items. I guess it just depends on what you are selling.
I do ship to the UK, Australia and a few other countries, I haven't opted in to their global shipping program mainly because its new and usually some flaws will follow. You could start shipping to Australia, I find the Aussies very nice people, they know it can take 14+ days to get their package.

With other countries when someone buys I take a look at their feedback left and what the seller left, if I'm leary of a buyer I use the ship insurance just in case, it only cost a dollar. You can choose to ship worldwide but make sure you click buyers must contact for shipping cost, that way you can view their feedback before completing a sale, if you see they left a lot of neg's and neutrals put them in your block list, my thought on this is.. how many negs/neutrals are they leaving? are they mad or unhappy with every seller & purchase they made in the past year? it tells me they are a problem or want a freebie.

Do a search on what you are going to sell, click on sold items at the top of search, scroll down and click on the item, then click on the seller, click sellers item for sale, if the items are similar to what you want to list, click on their feedback as a seller, you will see some of the buyers ID's, click on some of them, you will see their profile page will show where they are from, do this with quite a few that were in your search, if they are in another country, it's worth your while to sell there, most buyers do not keep their buying activity private, a seller cannot have a private profile. (if you don't see exactly what you want to sell, you can shorten your search)

The real reason we get the free listings is because we get charged fee's on shipping now, it was easier for ebay to make more money by punishing all sellers instead of the bad ones who were overcharging on shipping. What a great way for them to make millions of dollars & then to turn it around as if we are receiving listing's for free & free pictures. If you are listing many items, it takes time to list, time to take the pictures so they look nice, it's really work on our part depending on how many items you are listing. If it takes over an hour or two to take your pictures and get your listing the way you want it that equal's work to me

When they offer a freebie with a buy it now that is good, I think we will see a lot of them coming.

Last edited by rural lady; 04-29-2013 at 03:45 AM.. Reason: add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business