Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 11:47 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,556,866 times

Advertisements

Entrepreneurs typically are innovating to bring something at least partially new to market.

Businesspeople are usually just doing the same thing others have done in the past.

I see lots of people use entrepreneur to mean too many things so I thought I would clarify.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 05:26 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,022,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
Entrepreneurs typically are innovating to bring something at least partially new to market.

Businesspeople are usually just doing the same thing others have done in the past.

I see lots of people use entrepreneur to mean too many things so I thought I would clarify.
You sir, fail.

en·tre·pre·neur
ˌäntrəprəˈno͝or,-ˈnər/
noun
noun: entrepreneur; plural noun: entrepreneurs
a person who organizes and operates a business or businesses, taking on greater than normal financial risks in order to do so.

busi·ness·man
ˈbiznisˌman,-mən/
noun
noun: businessman; plural noun: businessmen; noun: businesswoman; plural noun: businesswomen
a man who works in business or commerce, especially at an executive level.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
You sir, fail.
Thanks but I'm going with my definitions. It seems that your dictionary is too old to pay any attention.

Now if you have something within the past 10 years that you'd like to bring up to change my mind that's fine. But everyone is using the word entrepreneur today to mean anyone who has anything to do with business. I think it better to use a more up to date definition based on current situations.

Don't get me wrong I'm glad you got out that 1700 dictionary. But let's not sell ourselves short.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:26 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,022,039 times
Those are modern definitions.

Something tells me you're upset about something a little more complicated than just definitions.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:13 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,161,058 times
Inventor? Innovator? Hmmm...

Old 05-21-2014, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Something tells me you're upset about something a little more complicated than just definitions.
No. I'm just trying to get with it. A businessman by your definition can be just an emp. I don't like that. It's time to move into this century and separate emps from owners in businesses that are following suit instead of bringing something new to market. That's why I like businessperson and entrepreneur for owners. We'll leave emps as just that... emps!

Old 05-21-2014, 01:47 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,472,117 times
I think of entrepreneur as someone that starts a business .

I agree a businessperson can be used to describe an employee.

But I never think of an entrepreneur as an employee.

I have heard of people mention entrepreneurial employees, but that doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

I don't think an entrepreneur must necessarily invent or do something brand new, but I do agree this is how the term is viewed in our culture.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:24 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times
Quote:

That's kind of a ridiculous definition, kind of a self-congratulatory one.

Established companies are constantly bringing new and innovative things into the marketplace.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:24 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,780,997 times
A square is a rectangle, but a rectangle is not necessarily a square.
An entrepreneur is a businessperson, but a businessperson is not necessarily an entrepreneur.

One is just a specific subset of the other. It has nothing to do with "what people have done before." The guy who starts up his own dry cleaning business, or bar, or any other store that has been done countless times before, they're all entrepreneurs and business people.

The manager they hire is a business person, but is not an entrepreneur.

It's that simple. One is a subset of the other. The definitions posted by LordSquidworth stand as correct.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:28 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
Quote:
No. I'm just trying to get with it. A businessman by your definition can be just an emp. I don't like that. It's time to move into this century
"I don't like that. It's time to move into this century"

Do you have ANY idea just how conceited that statement makes you look? Does the world revolve around YOU or something?

Geez. I don't care if you "don't like that." The dictionary definitions ARE the definitions. You don't have to "like it," but that's REALITY. You don't get to change the definitions of words based on nothing but your own personal fancy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business