Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 02:47 PM

4,222 posts, read 4,745,158 times

Advertisements

I'd like to start a "makeup channel"...a website or vlog or YouTube channel, etc., that focuses on makeup.

The 'channel' will have series such as:

-A makeover series that focuses on using makeup to change a person's outdated look
-An 'extreme makeup' series that focuses on costume makeup done for events, shows, photoshoots, etc.
-A tutorial series that focuses on how to achieve certain looks, i.e. smokey eyes, the perfect red lip, how to match colors to your skin tone, etc. etc....

I am at a loss as to where to start my business. Should I focus on just YouTube for now? Or a traditional website where I simply upload the YouTube videos to? Should I also include a Twitter page? Instagram? Facebook? With so many social media outlets, I am not sure where to focus/begin. I do know that I want my business to focus on video, so I likely won't set up any type of "forum/community/board". I want to focus on the visual instead of text/writing if that makes sense.

I have been searching for businesses that do something similar, but haven't found one. In other words, most businesses with "channel" in their name actually have a channel on regular TV, like the Weather Channel. If you go to their website, it's way more than just video.

I like the idea of simply starting with YouTube, and uploading the videos to a traditional website (ie "TheMakeUpChannel.com"). At first I was thinking of uploading the videos to a blog such as blogger, but I don't like the search function of most blogs....I don't like how you usually have to click on years and months and scroll in a linear fashion through the blog posts.

Anyways, sorry if I went off on a tangent...if anyone has any ideas on how they'd approach such an endeavor, I'm all ears
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 02:54 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
What are you trying to sell? Will you sell make-up products? Sell the skills of the people demonstrating use of the products? Produce the videos for people selling and doing the demos? Are you just trying to attract web ads?

Maybe you should start with defining your goals: a business plan.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
What are you trying to sell? Will you sell make-up products? Sell the skills of the people demonstrating use of the products? Produce the videos for people selling and doing the demos? Are you just trying to attract web ads?

Maybe you should start with defining your goals: a business plan.
I want the goal of the 'channel' to be both educational/informative (ie the tutorial series) and entertaining (ie the makeover series).

I want the revenue to come from web ads. For instance, ads/commercials for cosmetics (think products like lipstick, blush, eyeliner, etc. and brands like Cover Girl, Revlon, Sephora, etc.).

You are right; I need to start with a formal business plan...

Old 01-22-2013, 12:32 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Don't forget blogging, you can imbed your videos there too and that's where advertisers tend to go.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:02 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,408,583 times
I would start with youtube (create a channel where people can subscribe), and then link it to a complimentary blog/website. Youtube is highly searched, and the youtube videos will drive traffic to your website. Yes to twitter and facebook. Every time you post a new video, tweet it and facebook it.

For a website, I recommend you do not use something like "blogger" where you do not own the content and have very little control. Buy yourself a domain name and set up a self hosted site with wordpress.org (not wordpress.com). You can set up Pages "instead of posts" and it will function like a website rather than a blog where you have to search and scroll for stuff.

It sounds like a really interesting idea - I wish you much luck with it!

Old 01-22-2013, 08:07 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,224,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanchoNan View Post
I would start with youtube (create a channel where people can subscribe), and then link it to a complimentary blog/website. Youtube is highly searched, and the youtube videos will drive traffic to your website. Yes to twitter and facebook. Every time you post a new video, tweet it and facebook it.

For a website, I recommend you do not use something like "blogger" where you do not own the content and have very little control. Buy yourself a domain name and set up a self hosted site with wordpress.org (not wordpress.com). You can set up Pages "instead of posts" and it will function like a website rather than a blog where you have to search and scroll for stuff.

This is great advice. With the concept you are creating, you definitely need to have control and ownership of the content.

This is a great concept you are creating...there are certainly a lot of stylists and women out there who would benefit from your experience. Good Luck

Old 01-23-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the well wishes

I will be sure to do my research on wordpress.org. I didn't even realize that you didn't own content on blogger; that's extremely important to know. It's equally as important that my website is simple, yet highly functional. So I wonder if I will need help designing it or not.

I'm going to start my business plan this weekend.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the well wishes

I will be sure to do my research on wordpress.org. I didn't even realize that you didn't own content on blogger; that's extremely important to know. It's equally as important that my website is simple, yet highly functional. So I wonder if I will need help designing it or not.

I'm going to start my business plan this weekend.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
This is great advice. With the concept you are creating, you definitely need to have control and ownership of the content.

This is a great concept you are creating...there are certainly a lot of stylists and women out there who would benefit from your experience. Good Luck
Thanks

Just as an FYI, I likely won't be in the videos at all because I'm not a makeup expert. I plan to hire makeup artists and Vloggers/bloggers that specialize in makeup. It's important to me that I am able to showcase makeup artists from all over the country in my various series. This is one of thdmost exciting yet difficult part of this endeavor, because I don't know what to pay the artists or what kind of contract I'd need with them. Sounds like I'll need a good attorney.

I did used to own a blog though, and I did a feature where a makeup artist did makeovers for three young women. She picked the models, did their makeup and even had her photographer friend do the photography. I did not pay them, as they considered the publicity on my blog as their "pay"...which worked out great for all parties. Not so sure I could employ this type of arrangement for the series I plan to launch for The Makeup Channel...

Old 08-11-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post

So months later and I am a little stuck trying to figure out how I would earn revenue from this endeavor...

Charge a fee for YouTube members who subscribe to my channel? If I do this, how much of a cut from my fee does YouTube get?

Or do I allow ads on the channel? If so, how do I figure out how much to charge per ad? And will YouTube let me pick the advertisers (ie, it would make sense to have cosmetics related ads like Revlon, etc)? Trying to figure out where I could get a mentor to aid in guiding me through this process...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business