Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 10:43 AM

303 posts, read 595,587 times

Advertisements

Okay, stop me if you've heard this before....

...So, you know how your car makes funny sounds and you're trying to identify it, but you sound like a complete idiot trying to describe/make the sound to your mechanic over the phone?

What if there was a website that had a collection of those bad sounds (.wav or .mp3), maybe sorted by make and model of car OR sorted by what you think the problem might be?

For instance, my car this morning wouldn't start... ultimately due to the Fuel Pump going bad. The sound it made, however, was nothing I'd ever heard before, and sounds aren't typically something you can easily Google.

I'm way too lazy to pull off a business venture, so I thought I would share. Someone please make a site like this and earn millions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 02:05 PM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
While you are at it, one could be made for relationships as well, complete with the various sounds of whining and complaints.

"Honeeeeeyyy, PLEASE take out the garbage...."

"I. Did. Not. Have. Sex. With. That. Woman."

"Not tonight, dear. I'm still grieving over Barney."

"Why can't you ever just say something nice about me?"

"Hugh, I knew you liked bunny ears, but I never realized the depth of your relationship with Harvey."

Why, these sites could be as popular as that twelve CD set of "Sounds of the Blender!"

Old 02-19-2013, 03:17 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
more and more websites are popping up,,,look at fixya.com
not sure if there is a mechanics site yet
but it would be good to be able to "phone in" pics/sounds/even videos, and have an assessment

they even have dr. forums, you can submit symptoms and for 35 dollars, a certified dr. will give you advice.

youtube has alot of helpful how to videos but it is scattered and junked up

Old 02-19-2013, 07:44 PM

3,516 posts, read 7,781,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njclay2004 View Post

...So, you know how your car makes funny sounds and you're trying to identify it, but you sound like a complete idiot trying to describe/make the sound to your mechanic over the phone?
I'm not sure any mechanic could identify a problem with a car based just on a sound. It's kind of like telling a doctor all your symptoms and expect them to give you a diagnoses without examining you. Sure you can narrow it down, but your suggesting paying a sound fine over the phone and expecting a mechanic to give a diagnoses over the phone. Are you going to expect him to give you a price on the repair over the phone too?

Old 02-20-2013, 11:28 AM

303 posts, read 595,587 times
I've heard of some mechanics giving advice over the phone based on symptom descriptions. Naturally they want you to come in, but the point of the website would be to rule out the most common issues (dead/dying battery, etc).

I've also heard of doctors offering advice based on symptom descriptions, provided that it doesn't sound like it's serious. You have a cough, runny nose but no fever? Probably a common cold. Take Robotussin and let me know if a fever crops up.

Meh, but I see what you mean!

Old 02-20-2013, 11:49 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
With the diagnostic equipment becoming cheaper and more cars storing more codes, chasing down the problems is becoming easier. Fixya is well on their way. Also if the car is making a strange noise most phones anymore allow you record sounds. Novel idea, however I am not sure how practical it is.

If it is a collection of sounds, there is youtube, and trying to get someone to pay for a sound file like that which may or may not duplicate the sound. You'd have to sell advertising to make it work. Most of the great websites offer the advise for free.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:07 PM

24,397 posts, read 26,946,756 times
Quote:
I've heard of some mechanics giving advice over the phone based on symptom descriptions. Naturally they want you to come in, but the point of the website would be to rule out the most common issues (dead/dying battery, etc).

I've also heard of doctors offering advice based on symptom descriptions, provided that it doesn't sound like it's serious. You have a cough, runny nose but no fever? Probably a common cold. Take Robotussin and let me know if a fever crops up.

Meh, but I see what you mean!
I think the problem with this business idea is revenue. How would you make money? If you charge a fee and the diagnosis is wrong, you'd have to refund them or else you'd experience a massive attack on blogs, forums and review sites. Even with a refund, I'm sure your customer would still be upset because he wasted time trying to remedy your website's diagnosis. If you made it a free website and tried to find companies that want to advertise, I don't think it would happen either because your website would need very high volume.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:48 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
virtual mechanic

not a bad idea

from changing a tire, to changing oil, to replacing a head light,
the easy stuff, people can phone into to easily fix,

when the time comes, say a car breaks down, its quite the intense time,,,,many have never even changes a tire
nothing worse than feeling helpless, or asking for help,

if there is not one major GO TO site- maybe you could organize one, and sell advertising

do your research of whats out there now- the problem with the internet, is that there is so much info now- its quite junked up to find it- if I searched for "how to change a starter in a toyota corolla" Id get 22 pages of toyota dealers, or corollas for sale-people pay for search words

but if you created THE go to site for this -get a snappy name maybe Mrs. Goodwrench (Have a woman explaining some of this)

IF i started a destination site, id invite videos of "how to" from the masses, people would do it ,,just to be recognized, or to have their video on a site
say you list- what you are looking for- wanted, a video of a woman changing a tire on a mini-van-you would get hundreds of videos

your job would be to gather the videos, and easily organize them- you need a snappy name..CarFix might be good if it isnt already used

then you'd be a destination,

Old 02-21-2013, 05:01 AM

934 posts, read 402,535 times
how about

you (or someone else) have that sound and other diagnostics content on website for free (you have to offer some valuable free content for your visitors there) , I'm not into cars at all, but I can see it can be a great fun just working on it this way

don't charge for it because you can't be sure it's 100% correct assessment, and you don't want people bashing you all over internet

you build traffic and as you do it, you also include some monetization models there

so affiliate links (10-20% commission, high quality things only, you obviously have some experience - use it,

see if they have options for TIER affiliate linking, that's even better, you have your own sub-affiliate network working for themselves and for you, and when you grow a little more, selling ad-space to those who don't have affiliate programs,

there are other means of monetization, just make sure they don't stand on each other's way
my 2 cents

Old 02-22-2013, 09:51 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,376,172 times
Quote:

What if there was a website that had a collection of those bad sounds (.wav or .mp3), maybe sorted by make and model of car OR sorted by what you think the problem might be?

For instance, my car this morning wouldn't start... ultimately due to the Fuel Pump going bad. The sound it made, however, was nothing I'd ever heard before, and sounds aren't typically something you can easily Google.

I'm way too lazy to pull off a business venture, so I thought I would share. Someone please make a site like this and earn millions!
You need to sell this car sound library idea to Click and Clack as an add-on to CarTalk... Show Podcast | Car Talk

Many of their callers are already trying to make these sounds to describe their own car problems. Call their live show to present your idea - let me know when you do this so I may listen in...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business