Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2013, 10:43 AM

1,882 posts, read 3,109,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
But most people don't leave the bar without getting their card back. That's what the poster is referring to. 2013 or not, that was careless on your part.
I went outside to walk 100 yards to an ATM and then took a phone call. People leaving their cards-even overnight- at bars is quite common. (again, that's not what happened in this case.) Some bars institute a minimum amount to be charged on open and/or left tabs, which is fine. What is not fine is them simply handing over my credit card to someone who is not me and who I ultimately did not know and had no way to contact.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
Bar tabs , from years back, were the biggest rip off there is.

Does anyone actually believe the number of drinks sold matches the number of drinks billed on a bar tab?

If so, I have some bridges to sell you !
I don't doubt that ripoffs happen. Doesn't make it right. And I'd say throwing an extra drink or two on a tab would be less egregious than giving away someone's credit card to somebody who you know is not the person who owns the card.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Even if you allow the card to be held, you have to be present and sober enough to sign the slip.
The establishment can just as well run an pre-authorization for a certain amount to be sure you have enough credit and run the actual bill when you're done.
I am old enough to have learned that just because 'everybody else is doing it' is not a good enough reason for me to, if it's my money at stake.
Yes, sure. That's fine. And I was present and sober enough to sign the slip several hours before the establishment closed. Of course, I didn't have the option to sign the slip. My tab had already been closed out and my card was handed over to some unknown person.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:54 AM

13,402 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
No doubt. Problem is we're moving away from using cash as a society. So people are less and less likely to carry cash. But I suppose I'd be better off just sucking it up and carrying cash for trips to bars.

The thing that ticks me off the most is the attitude of bar owners and bartenders. There was no remorse or apologies offered the night this all went down. It was a combative, insultive argument. Just a classic case of "the customer is always wrong" attitude that high volume bar managers tend to have.
When you get to bar go right to the ATM and withdraw cash from your debit card, the fee is much less painful than running a tab....I have a bartender at one of our fave stops, as soon as she gets on, she downs about 4 Jagerbombs and continues throughout the night she pays for it by "padding tabs" people have fallen over when handed their tab...not worth it imo
Otherwise have them keep your tab in front of you

Old 02-28-2013, 10:59 AM

13,402 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
Bar tabs , from years back, were the biggest rip off there is.

Does anyone actually believe the number of drinks sold matches the number of drinks billed on a bar tab?

If so, I have some bridges to sell you !

Old 03-01-2013, 05:05 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
Yes, sure. That's fine. And I was present and sober enough to sign the slip several hours before the establishment closed. Of course, I didn't have the option to sign the slip. My tab had already been closed out and my card was handed over to some unknown person.

Look. If you like and want to defend the practice, keep doing it your way.
Just don't complain when S*** happens.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:28 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,073,130 times
So, what did we learn (aside from leaving a bar with an open tab)?

Don't drink in places where they demand a CC to keep your tab open. I always know i am in a low class joint when they tell me i have to give them my CC when i get my first drink. It is the sort of thing they do in an airport bar--where i understand they have to be vigilent as it is easy for folks to walk away, but still......it wreeks of 'dive'.

So here is how you deal with it, after you say 'you've got to be kidding...just keep the tab open', and they come back with 'i am sorry, but i have to run your credit card through to keep a tab'.... You order a drink....pay with a CC, sign the tab. Order another drink....pay with a CC.....sign the tab......order another drink, pay with a CC...

Unless they are completely dead, they will get the message. When you don't tip, it strikes home too..... (and many times in those low class places they use a bar machine or fixed pour so even with no tip, they can't short pour you).

They don't trust you to not walk out on your tab? Fine. You don't trust them with your CC. Low class swings both ways.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Look. If you like and want to defend the practice, keep doing it your way.
Just don't complain when S*** happens.
Just so we're clear: Are you saying the bar was justified or within it's rights to hand over my card to a random person claiming to know me? Or not?

Old 03-01-2013, 09:56 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
Absolutely not.
The bartender that did so treated your card as carelessly as you did and if I was her boss, she'd be in for.....ummm....let's say....a stern lecture.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:08 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,379,298 times
Wow... you guys are being pretty harsh on OP for going to a bar and opening a tab.

I mean, there's no way the bar is in the right here.

It's pretty standard practice to want a credit card when opening a tab. I haven't experienced many errors when settling up, and I've never failed to get my card back. You generally aren't responsible for fraudulent charges on your card anyway, so it isn't as if OP was putting himself in financial danger here.

The fact that the bar gave someone else his card is in no way OP's fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business