Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 11:51 AM

1,882 posts, read 3,108,480 times

Advertisements

I was at a bar last night with a group of people, some of whom I knew and some I just met that night. We left and I left my card at the bar with a tab open. I come back later in the evening to close out my tab and get my card. The bartender says she closed out my tab and gave my card to "someone who said he knew you". I've contacted the people I was with who I knew and none of them have my card or know who does. What course of action can I take against the bar? I know I'll have to close the card down and get a replacement. Is this some of the worst business you've ever seen??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 02:15 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,377,607 times
The second you left the bar without the card, you should have canceled the card.

You most likely won't have damages here so there's not much point in a lawsuit.

Complain to the manager of the bartender and/or leave a bad review on Yelp and be done with it.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:34 PM

Card is cancelled. I'm still appalled they would be so negligent. I may show up, tell them I'm friends with the manager, and I'd like to leave with his credit card. How ya think that would go over???

Old 02-24-2013, 03:50 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
I was at a bar last night... I left my card at the bar with a tab open.

I come back later in the evening to close out my tab and get my card.
The bartender says she closed out my tab and gave my card to "someone who said he knew you".

Is this some of the worst business you've ever seen??
This is really weak... even bordering on BS.

Quote:
What course of action can I take against the bar?
The manager should have you in for dinner and an apology (if they ever want to see you again).
Beyond that though... I wouldn't expect much.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:41 PM

It's obviously the principal of it at this point. Card was cancelled and the only real damages would be the pain in the rear it will be to get a new card and rearrange every single one of my automated payment arrangements to use the new card. So, I'd be a fool to think of suing. I just think it's profoundly terrible business to operate that way. And did I mention they tried to turn it around on me and make me out to be the bad guy? It's a small town/business district and they are accustomed to getting their way and the customer always being wrong...

Old 02-24-2013, 05:56 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
It's obviously the principal of it at this point. Card was cancelled and the only real damages would be the pain in the rear it will be to get a new card and rearrange every single one of my automated payment arrangements to use the new card. So, I'd be a fool to think of suing. I just think it's profoundly terrible business to operate that way. And did I mention they tried to turn it around on me and make me out to be the bad guy? It's a small town/business district and they are accustomed to getting their way and the customer always being wrong...
I would say that when their bartender accepted your credit card for the remaining tab he/she accepted full responsibility of handling that card...as if it were their own credit card.

Well, I am hopeful that you and your friends may be able to find a better establishment to take your business to in spite of the fact (and especially because) it is a small town/business district. I would think that they would treat their customers with more respect but if not make it your personal business to find a different establishment for relaxing and merry making.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Old 02-24-2013, 06:17 PM

Thank you. Yes, it won't be a problem finding other establishments. It's the Lighthouse Cafe in Hermosa Beach fyi. Lots of other/better bars in the area. My fear is that bars will typically not give a crud about these types of incidents, figuring they can just say sorry, loser, get lost. lol

Old 02-25-2013, 08:13 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
There is a very real chance that the bartender is "skimming." I did some quick checking for you. The place has a website. If you click on the contact page, the email goes to hennesseystaverns.com, which has its own website and this as contact info:
Corporate Office
1845 S. Elena Ave, #300,
Redondo Beach, Ca 90277

From the above, it appears that Lighthouse is operated as a franchise or is part of corporate. Any complaint to the "store" would likely result in a blow-off. However, a written and snail mailed letter to corporate usually will set matters straight.

How would the bartender skim? Easy. Guy orders drinks and pays cash. Instead of putting the cash in the til, he pockets it and rings it up on your tab. The books and inventory balance, and he gets the cash. NEVER trust a bartender until you have known him for at least a couple months. Usually the thieves get caught before then.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:21 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
There is a very real chance that the bartender is "skimming." I did some quick checking for you. The place has a website. If you click on the contact page, the email goes to hennesseystaverns.com, which has its own website and this as contact info:
Corporate Office
1845 S. Elena Ave, #300,
Redondo Beach, Ca 90277

From the above, it appears that Lighthouse is operated as a franchise or is part of corporate. Any complaint to the "store" would likely result in a blow-off. However, a written and snail mailed letter to corporate usually will set matters straight.

How would the bartender skim? Easy. Guy orders drinks and pays cash. Instead of putting the cash in the til, he pockets it and rings it up on your tab. The books and inventory balance, and he gets the cash. NEVER trust a bartender until you have known him for at least a couple months. Usually the thieves get caught before then.
I've seen so much BS in bars with people running tabs....I think anyone who runs a tab at a bar unless they are regulars and really know the bartender are fools...at least ask them to keep the tab in FRONT of you not down someplace where you can not see what they are tabbing...BEST tip....do not run tabs :0

Old 02-25-2013, 10:19 AM

No doubt. Problem is we're moving away from using cash as a society. So people are less and less likely to carry cash. But I suppose I'd be better off just sucking it up and carrying cash for trips to bars.

The thing that ticks me off the most is the attitude of bar owners and bartenders. There was no remorse or apologies offered the night this all went down. It was a combative, insultive argument. Just a classic case of "the customer is always wrong" attitude that high volume bar managers tend to have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business