U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should I sell my laptop on craigslist or ebay?
craigslist 4 44.44%
ebay 5 55.56%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-20-2013, 07:07 AM
 
Location: The Southern Sac's, NM
1,872 posts, read 3,083,234 times
Reputation: 2893

Advertisements

Don't freak out yet, it's only been three days. Your bidder bids on a lot of electronics Bidding Details
I don't see that as a problem, he is probably a reseller with several ID's. He may be waiting for a bunch of them to end, and pay all at once. OR he is just using a throwaway ID to bid a bunch of competition off the market and does not intend to pay. Like I said earlier - eBay is a minefield when dealing in the electronics category.

If you want to see what he is doing, put his user ID into ebay's search by bidder
eBay Search: Advanced Search

If he doesn't pay by tomorrow, here is some stuff you can do
I haven't been paid. What can I do?

Whatever you do, don't sell that laptop to someone else until your case is resolved. He may decide to pay, and then you can't ship because you sold it to someone else, he negs you, your ID is trashed . . . Of course if you never intend to use ebay again after this, that might not be a concern.

In any case, give it another day
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-20-2013, 10:32 AM
 
12,743 posts, read 17,732,307 times
Reputation: 24771
This month I sold two items on eBay for a total of $527. My eBay fees for the items are $39.96 and my Paypal fees for the two items were $20.47 for a total cost to me of $60.43, or 11.5% of the sales price. I took another hit of about $17 for the cost of FedEx shipping. One of my items was a guitar and a case so I couldn't avoid the higher shipping cost.

I note that eBay is lowering some of their fees as of next month to compete with Amazon but for now I'm going back to fighting the no-shows, scammers, low-ballers and worse who inhabit Craig's List.

Ebay wil continue to falter among private sellers as long as the costs to seller are so high. And too, it seems that the no-shows and scammers are now all moving from CL to eBay.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2013, 10:57 AM
 
12,743 posts, read 17,732,307 times
Reputation: 24771
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Some one went for the buy now price of $920. I am waiting for the payment. They have 2 good feedbacks and apparently only purchased twice. They tried purchasing once and didn't work b/c on my part I didnt have PayPal up yet. But they asked for my email which was not right, but think person ment to say I need to confirm my email. I sent them the invoice for shipping which happened to be USPS express. This will be the first and only time I will go through Ebay.
Check out the two feedbacks for your buyer. If they previously purchased something cheap for a dollar or two, beware! Positive feedback can be bought and sold on eBay by unscrupulous dealers. However, if your buy-it-now buyer bought something similar to what they are buying from you, or something expensive, you can probably relax.

Also, for something as expensive as what you have just sold, pay for a "signature confirmation" when you ship especially if you ship USPS. "Delivery Confirmation" is not sufficient under eBay's Seller Protection policy.

I just received a buy-it-now on an expensive guitar from a buyer in Canada with a confirmed U.S. shipping address at a U.S. Package Express mailing facility. This buyer also had only two positive feedbacks. I called him to verify, then shipped FedEx with a signature required.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2013, 04:03 PM
 
4,880 posts, read 11,371,936 times
Reputation: 1309
I just found out today that the buyer was reported for non-payments and attempted scammers. Three total including me. Such a shame because she ended my auction 4 days early. I will never be doing business on Ebay again. My final value fee was 80.80 but somehow 2 dollars was added to it. I don't believe they r lowering anything. Amazon can buy them out for all I care. Now I have to file an unpaid claim to make sure im not charged a final value fee and one person reported this person tried to buy their product with a fake paypal account!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2013, 04:33 PM
 
Location: San Marcos, TX
2,572 posts, read 6,943,526 times
Reputation: 4035
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
This month I sold two items on eBay for a total of $527. My eBay fees for the items are $39.96 and my Paypal fees for the two items were $20.47 for a total cost to me of $60.43, or 11.5% of the sales price. I took another hit of about $17 for the cost of FedEx shipping. One of my items was a guitar and a case so I couldn't avoid the higher shipping cost.

I note that eBay is lowering some of their fees as of next month to compete with Amazon but for now I'm going back to fighting the no-shows, scammers, low-ballers and worse who inhabit Craig's List.

Ebay wil continue to falter among private sellers as long as the costs to seller are so high. And too, it seems that the no-shows and scammers are now all moving from CL to eBay.
Why are you paying shipping?

As for fees, it all depends on what you paid for the item in the 1st place, when determining if it is worth it or not. I realize fees have gone up, but that means I adjust my initial $ output and make sure I only try and sell items where I know for sure what kind of profit I will make after fees and the cost of the item.


Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I just found out today that the buyer was reported for non-payments and attempted scammers. Three total including me. Such a shame because she ended my auction 4 days early. I will never be doing business on Ebay again. My final value fee was 80.80 but somehow 2 dollars was added to it. I don't believe they r lowering anything. Amazon can buy them out for all I care. Now I have to file an unpaid claim to make sure im not charged a final value fee and one person reported this person tried to buy their product with a fake paypal account!
Did you set up buyer requirements first? You can set up your auction so that only those with a certain feedback rating can bid, or those with no unpaid item strikes, etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2013, 05:49 PM
 
4,880 posts, read 11,371,936 times
Reputation: 1309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
Why are you paying shipping?

As for fees, it all depends on what you paid for the item in the 1st place, when determining if it is worth it or not. I realize fees have gone up, but that means I adjust my initial $ output and make sure I only try and sell items where I know for sure what kind of profit I will make after fees and the cost of the item.




Did you set up buyer requirements first? You can set up your auction so that only those with a certain feedback rating can bid, or those with no unpaid item strikes, etc.
i don't know. at the time, they had 2 positive reviews.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2013, 06:14 PM
 
12,743 posts, read 17,732,307 times
Reputation: 24771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
Why are you paying shipping?

As for fees, it all depends on what you paid for the item in the 1st place, when determining if it is worth it or not. I realize fees have gone up, but that means I adjust my initial $ output and make sure I only try and sell items where I know for sure what kind of profit I will make after fees and the cost of the item.

Did you set up buyer requirements first? You can set up your auction so that only those with a certain feedback rating can bid, or those with no unpaid item strikes, etc.
The largest item I sold was an old Harmony electric guitar and case that had a fairly well-known market value of $400. That's what it sold for at a BIN. Had I added the $50 shipping cost to the BIN price, no one would have bought it. I'm happy. I was only offered $225 locally. I paid $50 for the guitar in 1965 so the $400 made a good payment on a very nice 12-string acoustic.

No. No buyer requirements. That was my fault. I don't sell on eBay very often and don't stay up with their policies and fees. I've been a member since 2001.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2013, 01:28 PM
 
4,880 posts, read 11,371,936 times
Reputation: 1309
i dropped the price down to $650. should i wait for a buyer on craigslist or should I relist on ebay? how long should i wait on craigslist? and is this a bad time of the year to sell on craigslist?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2013, 02:13 PM
Status: "*864511320" (set 2 days ago)
 
Location: Jollyville, TX
4,178 posts, read 9,940,697 times
Reputation: 5172
I've sold lots of stuff on craigslist-I usually end with "cash only, local only". I put my phone number in but spell out the first three digits. I tell people they can text me - you'd be amazed how many more people I had respond once I started accepting texts. I don't respond to obvious spammers. It kind of depends how active your CL community is. Here in Austin, you can buy or sell just about anything. I've bought a lot of stuff off CL as well. It's free, it just takes a little work to respond to ads and try to weed out the spammers. And sometimes you have to be patient. You might have to re-post your ad periodically but I've found that savvy buyers know how to use the search function and if the ad is still up, you'll get inquiries.

You might have better luck at the beginning of a school year vs towards the end, but there's never really a bad time to sell on craigslist.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2013, 09:00 PM
 
12,743 posts, read 17,732,307 times
Reputation: 24771
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
i dropped the price down to $650. should i wait for a buyer on craigslist or should I relist on ebay? how long should i wait on craigslist? and is this a bad time of the year to sell on craigslist?
It's a good time because it's tax refund time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top