U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should I sell my laptop on craigslist or ebay?
craigslist 4 44.44%
ebay 5 55.56%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 07:44 AM

2,983 posts, read 6,693,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Here is one of my ads:

HP gaming laptop from 2012
What you Paid for it is irrelevant. You need to see what new models are selling for now and price it accordingly. I'd say at least 25% off the new price.

Quote:
I just found out today that the buyer was reported for non-payments and attempted scammers. Three total including me. Such a shame because she ended my auction 4 days early. I will never be doing business on Ebay again. My final value fee was 80.80 but somehow 2 dollars was added to it.
Ebay isn't what it once was. Since it's impossible to give negative feedback to lousy buyers, it's impossible to filter them out. I have my auctions set up to reject bids from people with a -2 feedback rating, but since they can never get negative feedback, it's kinda pointless. Ebay is the anti-Christ of the online auction world, but they have the market share, sometimes you just have to deal with the devil.

Quote:
I have six people watching so far.
Having Watchers doesn't always mean you have interested buyers, they could have something similar to sell and just want to see how much your items sells for. I've had auctions with as many as 4 watchers and ended with no bidders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
As for the final value fee on shipping; that's why I try to offer free shipping and build the shipping cost into the item price. Much simpler for me.
I've just recently started doing this for some of my auctions and had a few sales where I had re-posted the same item 3 times before charging shipping with no sales. It's tougher to make a decent profit. Recently sold $60 in cables with free shipping, after shipping costs, I'm only making $45.

Last edited by TechGromit; 03-25-2013 at 08:02 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 12:27 PM

4,880 posts, read 11,391,198 times
do people tend to bid last minute? i can pay for shipping next time around. it's on ebay right now for a starting price of $900.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:01 PM

2,572 posts, read 6,962,786 times
Yes, people tend to wait until the last minute to bid, or they set it up to enter their bid automatically at the last minute.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:02 PM

4,880 posts, read 11,391,198 times
well I guess by tomorrow morning I will know.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:53 AM
JL

7,865 posts, read 12,590,690 times
what are the alternatives besides ebay and craigslist? any upcoming good place/site? the fees on ebay are ever so increasing...craigslist is decent, but i just wanted to see what else is out there. thanks.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:34 PM

24,497 posts, read 37,193,829 times
With the low fees on eBay and their market reach, I prefer them over Craigslist. Especially since Craigslist often requires a lot of back and forth before making the sale.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:45 PM

213 posts, read 689,968 times
craiglist has no fee and you can post it in area you want. on ebay you can have the same back and forth

Old 05-05-2013, 10:03 PM

24,497 posts, read 37,193,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwind View Post
craiglist has no fee and you can post it in area you want. on ebay you can have the same back and forth
In my experience, selling a laptop has been so much less effort on eBay. Also, the bids tend to go higher than the offers I get on CL. CL is nice for items that are too difficult to ship.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:06 PM

25 posts, read 36,056 times
As a long-time eBay seller, I'd like to offer you this advice. Like someone else said, selling electronics as a first time seller on ebay is likely not going to go well. If you know someone who is an eBay seller, you might ask them to sell it for you. This would simplify things greatly, provided that you trust them of course. Personally, I don't think Craigslist is much better. People have been robbed from Craigslist ads and you can encounter lots of weirdos. I would recommend meeting in a coffee shop or some public place like a bank if its a large purchase, because you know there are lots of cameras around. There are many variables involved and there are lengthy books written on the subject, so if all you want to do is quickly sell your laptop and minimize all of the hassle and learning curve, I would simply let someone else sell it for you. Trying to maximize your income from the sale increases the difficulty proportionally. I hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business