Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 02:53 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times

Advertisements

Lots of people in this country want to work their 40 hours on the clock and do no more than that. When they get to be 60 years old, they will still be working 40 hours on the clock and might not have any money to retire on. If that's what they want out of life, I won't criticize them. That is their decision to make.

The whole point of working monster hours when you are starting out is to amass the funds to get to the point where your money is working for you, or that you can hire employees to do the work.

I worked huge long hours when I was younger but when I was 38, I retired and only put in a few hours a week. I'm enjoying my free time and have the money to do what I want. Notice I have time to sit on the computer and post to City-data while my money is working hard for me. I suspect that I will have a lot more "precious free time" over my lifetime that those people who won't work over 40 hours a week because their free time is so precious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 03:45 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Lots of people in this country want to work their 40 hours on the clock and do no more than that. When they get to be 60 years old, they will still be working 40 hours on the clock and might not have any money to retire on. If that's what they want out of life, I won't criticize them. That is their decision to make.

The whole point of working monster hours when you are starting out is to amass the funds to get to the point where your money is working for you, or that you can hire employees to do the work.

I worked huge long hours when I was younger but when I was 38, I retired and only put in a few hours a week. I'm enjoying my free time and have the money to do what I want. Notice I have time to sit on the computer and post to City-data while my money is working hard for me. I suspect that I will have a lot more "precious free time" over my lifetime that those people who won't work over 40 hours a week because their free time is so precious.
Think about it though. Let's say I retire at 65 while working 40 hours a week for the rest of my working days. I'm 23 by the way.

While you put in 60-80 hours a week making huge sums of money. You retire at 40.

Sure I worked 25 more years than you did, but you worked probably 15 more years all crammed into the same time I worked that extra 25. Ill work till 65 and enjoy my life now and later when I retire. You had to work 70 plus hours for 20 years and barely had a life.

Who really wins? Sure your retired at 40, but you put in 65 years to retire at 40. You might had more money, but I enjoyed my life just as much as you did.

I like OT, but working 70 hours a week for 20 years isn't going to happen.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:23 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
Think about it though. Let's say I retire at 65 while working 40 hours a .
That's fine. That's your choice. The world needs lots of worker ants.

Just don't whine when you get to 65 and look around and other people have more than you do. Don't be surprised if SS has no funds left for your retirement. The people who have more than you do will have put more effort into it. Remind yourself that it was your choice and you refused to make the effort to learn how money worked because that might cut into your free time. So there is no excuse for you to be envious. You are the only one who made that choice for yourself.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:30 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
That's fine. That's your choice. The world needs lots of worker ants.

Just don't whine when you get to 65 and look around and other people have more than you do. Don't be surprised if SS has no funds left for your retirement. The people who have more than you do will have put more effort into it. Remind yourself that it was your choice and you refused to make the effort to learn how money worked because that might cut into your free time. So there is no excuse for you to be envious. You are the only one who made that choice for yourself.
I will hardly be envious. I don't need 4.5 mil like some folks. We both will enjoy our lives. I might enjoy it at 450k by retirement and you will at 4.5 mil.

Ill be the worker ant....not a problem.

I also won't be counting on SS. My retirement will be planned with that not even in the equation.

No need to act all high and mighty just because you want to 75 hours and I want to work 40.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:57 AM

917 posts, read 2,005,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
My philosophy regarding working, money, etc. in life is simple:

1) Money is meant to buy enjoyment. That's my ultimate drive for amassing money. Much of the "enjoyment" comes from the security of not having to worry about one's financial health.

2) "Working" more now is an investment in the future - it's only worth it if it pays out in more money, time, and/or enjoyment in the future (doesn't need to be guaranteed; this investment can be risky but the potential rewards better justify the risk.)

Would I sacrifice my health temporarily to get ahead if the right opportunity comes? Will I make it a lifestyle of working 100 hours a week (or even 50-60) indefinitely? Nope.
I agree. This is a good topic. I want wealth but how can you enjoy your money if your health is poor. You do need to make sacrifices to get to where you need to be but there has to be a balance.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:04 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,865,527 times
I used to, not anymore.

I learned my lesson.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:34 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
18 hours won't kill you....uh what.

If you did work 18 hours that means you have 6 hours to sleep not counting eat, using bathroom, showering or anything else.

Sure 5 months working 18 hours might not kill you,but for years on end it certainly can. If your not sleeping enough you start to get sick after awhile, or too tired to drive. Imagine falling asleep with a semi coming straight at you....your dead. Your health will suffer since your probably not eating correctly. It wil definitely over many years kill you or *********r health up beyond fixing.
^^This^^^

Lack of sleep can also lead to obesity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business