Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 10:00 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,614,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
The H1-B holders from China are mostly from top Chinese universities and earn a graduate degree from a US university. Believe it or not, many mid-level Chinese programmers in the US are from top 5 universities in China, and they are considered genius in their country.
Not sure about India.

What's more, the job interviewers for tech positions are often Indians and Chinese, too. And they know how to find the best candidates from their own country.
But there is no shortage of top engineers here. Why go elsewhere if not to get cheaper labor?

And my friend was not saying that all Chinese engineers here are bad but that many are not a mile and a half better in skill than their American counterparts. He said in general the average engineer in China is not that greatly skilled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 10:23 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,601,434 times
Quote:
The H1-B holders from China are mostly from top Chinese universities and earn a graduate degree from a US university. Believe it or not, many mid-level Chinese programmers in the US are from top 5 universities in China, and they are considered genius in their country.
Not sure about India.

What's more, the job interviewers for tech positions are often Indians and Chinese, too. And they know how to find the best candidates from their own country.
Not true. Most Chinese H1-Bs are not from top Chinese universities. Neither are Indians. In both cases, top students in China and India have their pick of jobs in their home countries, where they can pretty much write their own ticket. They mostly go to work for foreign companies in their own countries. Most Chinese programmers in US actually originate from so-so provincial universities, definitely not the top five nationwide.

In the case of India, they come from even worse universities, and often study fields unrelated entirely to IT. And give me a break about the job interviewers finding the best candidates. It's not about that at all. It's mostly shady body shops who contract out their workers to other companies for projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
But there is no shortage of top engineers here. Why go elsewhere if not to get cheaper labor?

And my friend was not saying that all Chinese engineers here are bad but that many are not a mile and a half better in skill than their American counterparts. He said in general the average engineer in China is not that greatly skilled.
You are absolutely correct. It is all about cheaper labor. H1-Bs will put up with lower pay, no benefits and no job security, because even at 40k they are making twice or more what they would back ij India or China, because they are definitely not the cream of the crop.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:29 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,918,322 times
I'll take quality any day of the week over quantity. I can't tell you how many times we've had post docs in the lab from India or China that either A.) have absolutely no f$cking clue what the hell they are doing or B.) write code so poorly, I'm absolutely sure our undergrads at this Univ. could write better code. When you train en masse, quality is bound to suffer.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:28 AM

9,240 posts, read 9,721,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
Not true. Most Chinese H1-Bs are not from top Chinese universities. Neither are Indians. In both cases, top students in China and India have their pick of jobs in their home countries, where they can pretty much write their own ticket. They mostly go to work for foreign companies in their own countries. Most Chinese programmers in US actually originate from so-so provincial universities, definitely not the top five nationwide.

In the case of India, they come from even worse universities, and often study fields unrelated entirely to IT. And give me a break about the job interviewers finding the best candidates. It's not about that at all. It's mostly shady body shops who contract out their workers to other companies for projects.

You are absolutely correct. It is all about cheaper labor. H1-Bs will put up with lower pay, no benefits and no job security, because even at 40k they are making twice or more what they would back ij India or China, because they are definitely not the cream of the crop.
You are so wrong.

I studied in top 2 in China and over 1/3 of my classmates are in the US now. We graduated in the 2000s, not really very old.
Yes, most are still in China but what I am saying is that those who worked in the US are good students back in China. And for your interest most of those who didn't come had too low GPAs to receive scholarships in the US. (Of course some top ones stayed in China too.)

In fact, most of my Chinese colleagues here are from 北大、清华、科大、交大

Old 04-01-2013, 10:41 AM

14,709 posts, read 8,034,142 times
Between Peking University, Tsinghua University, HKUST, National Chiao Tung University, which do you think is the superior University for Engineering?

Old 04-01-2013, 11:00 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,601,434 times
Quote:
You are so wrong.

I studied in top 2 in China and over 1/3 of my classmates are in the US now. We graduated in the 2000s, not really very old.
Yes, most are still in China but what I am saying is that those who worked in the US are good students back in China. And for your interest most of those who didn't come had too low GPAs to receive scholarships in the US. (Of course some top ones stayed in China too.)

In fact, most of my Chinese colleagues here are from 北大、清华、科大、交大
What you are doing is self selecting. Students from top schools tend to associate together, so yeah to you it seems 'most' of the Chinese students here come from those schools, because those are the people you associate with. But there are over 100k Chinese students in US grad schools. Sorry, the top five Chinese schools do not graduate that many students.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:59 AM

9,240 posts, read 9,721,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
What you are doing is self selecting. Students from top schools tend to associate together, so yeah to you it seems 'most' of the Chinese students here come from those schools, because those are the people you associate with. But there are over 100k Chinese students in US grad schools. Sorry, the top five Chinese schools do not graduate that many students.
My post reads: Most mid-level Chinese programmers are from top 5.
Of course in other fields they are not necessarily from top 5, but still from good/top universities and are good students.

I am talking about those who have stayed in the US. In recent years, more and more Chinese students are coming out and the situation has changed a little.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:06 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,448,454 times
Quote:
I don't think this is true at all. I've been in the field for only 5 years, but most Indian workers in tech that I've come across have been programmers. I've never interviewed with an Indian. As far as east Asian, we have a few at our country, but not many. We are in the field of more consulting than anything, so maybe that is why my vision is skewed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business