U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 01:14 PM

19,059 posts, read 22,861,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You're right, this IS an interesting question. I think men come on to waitresses simply because they can. As we've discussed in the "the cashier said 'have a nice day', does it mean she likes me?" threads, people come onto service personnel (subconsciously) because they're a captive audience to the come-ons, and they're paid to respond pleasantly. But are those the women the high-powered guys want to marry? In most cases, probably not. We notice the cases in which the senator marries his staff person because they're sensationalistic, but we don't notice all the quietly, happily-married couples who are professional equals, because it's pretty mundane, and they don't stand out.
Exactly. And census clearly shows that professional, academic, SES equals tend to marry. I see it in my own life. All of the men and women I work with (who are scientists and that comprises a motivated, career focused bunch) are married to either other scientists or career-minded people. Anecdotally, I have noticed women professionally dating down to a greater degree, which I understand is more likely to be out of the norm.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 01:41 PM

86,481 posts, read 79,604,121 times
It's a new trend for women to marry down, because men are falling behind educationally.

Yes: academics marry other academics, lawyers marry other lawyers, and so forth. Except that some men in the more career-driven business-related careers, the fight-your-way-to-the-top guys marry the sorority party girl, because she can host the cocktail parties and business dinners for the company mucky-mucks, and help him get ahead that way. And she might be a good cook, so what else does he need? There's also that. But I wouldn't say they're all like that, contrary to the OP's impression.

Look, OP; Madeleine Albright (former Sec'y of State) and Ruth Bader Ginsburg (Supreme Court Justice), not to mention Hillary Clinton, and others like them were happily married, in spite of being very goal- and achievement-oriented in their careers. So, relax.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:44 PM

19,059 posts, read 22,861,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's a new trend for women to marry down, because men are falling behind educationally.

Yes: academics marry other academics, lawyers marry other lawyers, and so forth. Except that some men in the more career-driven business-related careers, the fight-your-way-to-the-top guys marry the sorority party girl, because she can host the cocktail parties and business dinners for the company mucky-mucks, and help him get ahead that way. And she might be a good cook, so what else does he need? There's also that. But I wouldn't say they're all like that, contrary to the OP's impression.
I think these, what I would consider rather lame, people aren't a majority. So, I don't think the OP has anything to worry about beyond looks and personality like most people.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:47 PM

86,481 posts, read 79,604,121 times
She can always buy some boobs. JOKE, joke, sorry, I couldn't resist.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:59 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,172,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micio View Post
I'm about to graduate from college and extremely career driven. I don't care if I have to work 60 hours a week to be the best at what I do. I'm a true "type A" personality.

Type A is defined as : highly independent, take charge, decisive, direct, business-like, ambitious, efficient, motivated, persistent, focused, risk taking, practical solution oriented, dislike routine, high achieving, no-nonsense, multitasking, deadline driven and change oriented.

I'm also only attracted to men similar to me. I respect intelligent and savvy men. I'm generally attracted to type A men and men who even exhibit neurosis such as being high strung or a perfectionist.

But from the group of people I know, it seems like most of these men end up with women who have no ambition whatsoever and I wonder if they're attracted to that. They end up with administrative assistants, rich daddies girls who live off trust funds, social workers, nurses, teachers, ex-models, writers, women who went to college but never had careers, etc.

Are professional women in the corporate world not seen as feminine of sexy? In my free time, I dress very feminine and cocktail waitressed for 4 years while in college. When I was cocktailing, I felt like every type of man was attracted to me.

Now, working in a corporate firm doing serious work, I feel like a ghost. Is being a corporate worker and a driven woman unattractive and unfeminine?
No, but being conceited and snobby is.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:02 PM

4,188 posts, read 4,619,300 times
Isn't funny that some women complain they get hit on in the work place and then when they don't get attention from men (ones they deem attractive at least) they complain as well? When one can get a sexual harassment charge for so much as brushing hands, one can hardly expect the workplace conducive to amorous advances.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:56 PM

5,348 posts, read 6,353,084 times
Most of those women are unnactractive though. Then they have the nerve to blame their career on why they can't find a suitable man

No dude turns down a girl because of her career

Old 03-30-2013, 03:03 PM

4,188 posts, read 4,619,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Most of those women are unnactractive though. Then they have the nerve to blame their career on why they can't find a suitable man

I can imagine some careers might be off putting, because of the types of personalities they attract. But in general I think you are correct, men can find women of any career attractive, if the personality and physical attraction is there.

I would not date the OP, not because she's a corporate worker, but because her relentless A type personality and my own would not gel well at all. I live by the Italian phrase: Live to eat, not eat to live.

Old 03-30-2013, 04:44 PM

19,116 posts, read 27,841,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post

Not true.

I've been turned down for my career when I worked as a mechanic. One of my best girlfriends is a union welder and she's been turned down for hers as well. Many men won't date a woman in a traditionally male career.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:31 PM

12,539 posts, read 13,326,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micio View Post
Now, working in a corporate firm doing serious work, I feel like a ghost. Is being a corporate worker and a driven woman unattractive and unfeminine?
Only by tools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or