U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 09:27 AM

4,228 posts, read 6,485,842 times

Advertisements

As a "professional" woman in her mid 20's in corporate america getting her masters and trying to climb the corporate latter, I don't see that men find me any less attractive because of my ambition, but I do think they would if I was pompous or arrogant about it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 09:04 PM

119 posts, read 217,676 times
thanks for the responses

Old 04-11-2013, 07:21 AM

2,825 posts, read 3,800,797 times
So much back in forth in here, lol. Agreed the OP is young and probably misspoke/came across incorrect. I understand where she is coming from. It all relates to what others find attractive. Opposites usually attract and this is somewhat true across the board. A lot of career driven people what to be providers(whether that is a male or female) thus their counterparts are more family oriented. I as well am a Type A personality and my wife is a nanny. I wasn't attracted to her for the reason of her being almost a polar opposite to me, but I'm sure it played a roll in my head/heart even though I had no idea. Could I be attracted to a female exec, of course, but then which one of us has the stronghold on the home front?

Old 04-21-2013, 12:11 PM

278 posts, read 274,527 times
I disagree that they were hitting on you as a cocktail waitress because you were somehow below them. I believe that if you walk into any bar or niteclub the number of men to women is skewed to men and A. It's acceptable to hit on the waitress and almost expected in that place as well as any other women in the bar or niteclub. B. I'ts not acceptable to hit on your coworkers and could get you fired or worse.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:14 PM

10,570 posts, read 11,369,237 times
They would be unattractive if they took themselves to seriously. If they were arrogant and overly confident to a fault. No one wants a bossy prick who lacks human humility.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:02 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,086,965 times
I meet my ex wife while she was still in college and she is the super hungry corporate type. Working 60-80hrs/week in corp finance in NYC. If I had meet her at work I would NOT have been interested at all. Attracted, yes. She is beautiful. But I would not have been interested in anything more than just some casual "fun".

Eventually, her ambition pushed her to spend even more time at work. After a few promotions it was even worse because now she was in charge of her group. She would not only work more during the week but then from home during off hours and it destroyed our life together with our son.

One of the most important things in a relationship is to spend quality time with each other, with your family and friends and keep that bond alive. If you do, you can weather just about anything life throws at you. But when you dont have the time, when you cant be in the moment because you are so stressed or preoccupied with work or your career, it will be almost impossible.

Those who say you cant have both a career and a family are sort of correct in that you need to find balance. That may mean NOT going for a promotion when your children need you more. Or it may mean not going to a school play because you HAVE to meet a deadline. Neither are the end of the world as long as they are in moderation. If you cannot be happy with "the middle" then you will need to chose one over the other or you could end up hurting more than just your career.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:23 AM

147 posts, read 200,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micio View Post
I'm about to graduate from college and extremely career driven. I don't care if I have to work 60 hours a week to be the best at what I do. I'm a true "type A" personality.

Type A is defined as : highly independent, take charge, decisive, direct, business-like, ambitious, efficient, motivated, persistent, focused, risk taking, practical solution oriented, dislike routine, high achieving, no-nonsense, multitasking, deadline driven and change oriented.

I'm also only attracted to men similar to me. I respect intelligent and savvy men. I'm generally attracted to type A men and men who even exhibit neurosis such as being high strung or a perfectionist.

But from the group of people I know, it seems like most of these men end up with women who have no ambition whatsoever and I wonder if they're attracted to that. They end up with administrative assistants, rich daddies girls who live off trust funds, social workers, nurses, teachers, ex-models, writers, women who went to college but never had careers, etc.

Are professional women in the corporate world not seen as feminine of sexy? In my free time, I dress very feminine and cocktail waitressed for 4 years while in college. When I was cocktailing, I felt like every type of man was attracted to me.

Now, working in a corporate firm doing serious work, I feel like a ghost. Is being a corporate worker and a driven woman unattractive and unfeminine?
If you're talking about the attention you do not receive within your company, they're probably watching out for their sexual harassment policy and many people do not want to get involved with anyone in the workplace for various reasons. As for teachers, social workers, and nurses, there are people in education, social services, and healthcare who do as well as corporate workers moneywise without having to take their work home with them, and it's a matter of what field of work they have chosen. I thought that was an inappropriate comparison.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:28 PM

505 posts, read 830,906 times
So, OP isn't an executive assistant, but ask her how many times she has had to do the Starbucks run during busy season at her accounting firm.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:30 AM

34 posts, read 59,477 times
if you get a reputartion for dating around or being/dressing provocatively it can affect your career. higher up women tend to be conservative. get a mentor and ask them. so at least in investment banking i wouldn't date anyone from your own company. and if you are promoted, you are expected to entertain at home... hire a hostess or host. never let anyoneknow who you are dating. high pay= cutthroat.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:43 AM

532 posts, read 952,811 times
I must confess, I didn't read all the way through this thread, but I did want to comment. Think of Christine Lagarde, the head of the IMF. She's lovely, elegant, feminine, and happily married. An attorney, trained in the US, she's very French and very, very successful.

I don't know a thing about her husband, but from photographs he's very solid, handsome and probably equal to her in terms of education and intelligence. That is always going to be the issue. If you become attracted to someone different from you in this regard, if this person isn't very mature and self-confident, you might run the risk of being resented by them, and thus the love affair won't work out.

This article says her husband is an entrepreneur:

Christine Lagarde - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I bet they have a great life.

I would like to add this, which may or may not be helpful: I have a lot of women friends who say to me, how come you always have a husband or a boyfriend, your whole life. And the answer is, you have to *like men*, respect them, and treat them well, and to be feminine and sweet. Men like that, and they can also tell the genuine from the fake. If you treat them like another possession or accomplishment, they won't want to be close to you. They're not stupid (at least the good ones aren't), and will respond to a women who is healthy, honest and keeps herself up--no matter what her profession. If you like men, there is nothing wrong with being nurturing (which is what they are looking for in a close companion), no matter how tough you are in business or your profession. Men are not things (and women are not things, too, for that matter), to be used for your own self-aggrandizement!

Last edited by jtaustin; 05-12-2013 at 06:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or