U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 10:10 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,339,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
If you can break even, think of it as free advertising.
Don't do that. Think of it as *losing* the profits from a sale. Also, look into putting that on your books as a "discount".
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 12:26 AM

5 posts, read 5,009 times
Are you doing some sort of promotion your digital cameras work? Because that is very visible so you should have a lot to display. Do you have a website? Its fairly simple to get one up and operating using some thing comparatively which you may need . . . .

Old 04-16-2013, 07:05 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,905,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimFleming12 View Post
Are you doing some sort of promotion your digital cameras work? Because that is very visible so you should have a lot to display. Do you have a website? Its fairly simple to get one up and operating using some thing comparatively which you may need . . . .
I don't know what this means:
Quote:
your digital cameras work
I have a website, I have branding done, I have a lot of work displayed that is pertinent to what I do. What I don't have is "writing talent" since I am NOT a writer, nor marketing experience since I am NOT trained in marketing, and my personality does not match the car salesman type sales person. So, I don't know how to make the copy relevant to those who would read it.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:49 PM

28,900 posts, read 48,778,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
I was looking to find a marketing discussion forum on City Data, but there isn't one, and so I was directed here.

I've been traveling around for family reasons for the last few years, however now I would like to plant some roots, and I was wondering what would be the best way to market to potential clients with the least amount of cash. I don't have any start up capital/or word of mouth as I don't know anyone in this town yet. I am in Florida, and will travel throughout the entire state for my clients.

After receiving countless postcards of all sorts of sizes in the mail here...and noticing my habit of throwing them all in the recycling bin...obviously I do not want to end up in the same situation if I sent mine out; which is very likely.

I have signed up for an email list that is pertinent to my field, (I was told these folks "expect" to see emails from us), however I have yet to send anything out because I don't know what the target/potential client is looking to see. What is popular, what isn't...is the "75% OFF" an attraction? or the emphasis is put on quality? I offer a business to business service, so no freelancing, or work for credit...I have business costs, travel costs, equipment costs etc., I can paste a list so you get an idea of where we stand once working. But I don't want to waste anyone's time either, mine or theirs, so I am trying to figure out what is expected these days, and not what worked in 2000.

Someone said: "short and sweet"....that means nothing to me as I am "marketing writing" challenged; I am not a marketing professional, and while I would LOVE to enlist one to help me, I just don't have the finances for it. I am also new to this town, and obviously there are many others out there...not sure how many use the same list as I do, but still...

Any thoughts?

Thank you.
It really depends on what you're selling, and who the primary buyer of those goods and services are projected to be.

Someone mentioned social media. Even that has fragmented into infinite possible approaches. And if I were marketing to the over-50 crowd, I would take an entirely different social media approach than if I were selling to some 18-year-old.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Marketing is little more than sales in a nicer wardrobe and a using nicer vocabulary.
The primary distinction w/r/t sales is time frame and with less immediate and ambiguous results.

If the focus is on what was done or sold this week or this month or this year... you're in sales.
You know, I usually agree with you. But this time I have to define the difference in another way.

Marketing is about creating leads, building value, and creating demand. Sales is about closing. In that sense, they are two totally different disciplines.

In that way a good marketing campaign is very much built around measuring results. And I don't mean the nebulous "build awareness" metric either. In an age of Google Analytics one can pretty much track when the marketplace is responding to your message. If you run a radio campaign and suddenly your traffic bumps 20%, then you have a pretty good idea what caused that. If you create a microsite with a unique URL, then your traffic reports will tell you very quickly how good your marketing has been.

Heck, even before the internet, a good marketer built mechanisms into a campaign to measure results. Bingo cards in the back of magazines. Toll-free numbers. Hey, every ad I ran had a different 800 number. Toll-free numbers were incredibly cheap to buy, they allowed me to know who was responding to what ad, and they helped me understand which magazines were producing the A leads (The kind where a salesman gets on a plane and flies out for a sales call immediately) and which magazines produced the C leads (The tire kickers, the people to whom you send a brochure in the mail).

As a result, I was able to assess the effectiveness of various publications in terms of delivering my core customer, and adjust the total buy accordingly.

The problem with being overly dependent on a sales force is that the average salesperson is, as you pointed out, concerned about the end of the month number. That's it. The result of a sales-driven organization? A constant battle to maintain decent margins on the product, lest the sales guy totally give away the store. After all, any idiot can sell a Lexus at cost. It takes marketing and brand building to make a customer willing to pay the asking price. Maybe that's why I've never heard a salesperson ever say, "Why this price is low enough. Don't drop it any more."

As an example, realtors are about the laziest business people on earth. Never mind that they are supposed to deal on behalf of the homeowner, working to create value in the mind of the potential buyer. If the house doesn't move in the first three days, they start putting pressure on the homeowner to lower the price. If I had listened to my realtor when selling our last house, I would have left $50,000 on the table when I did indeed sell.

That makes a sales-driven effort like heroin. You know, it makes you feel good for a while. But over time, the toll of short-term thinking begins to be felt on the body as it loses weight. Meanwhile a brand-driven organization tends to focus on the long-term to create value and margin. That's why Honda had a sale maybe once a year, while Chevrolet was having them every week. And still were losing market share.

Last edited by cpg35223; 04-25-2013 at 04:15 PM..

Old 04-25-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I would honestly start with Groupon. It's a great way to get new clients and hopefully, it won't cost you anything. If you can break even, think of it as free advertising. I know plenty of small businesses in the Bay Area from chiropractors to masseuses to dentists to restaurants to retail stores that sell 500+ or 1,000+ groupons within a very short time. Before you do a groupon, you should make a website. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, but it makes your business or service seem more reliable and trustworthy. At the very least, make a facebook page. Then, you should add your business to google maps, yelp, and trip advisor. All this can be done with less than $100.
I know a number of businesses who have tried Groupon. Restaurants. Framing shops. Optometrists. And, as one, they've said, "I'm never doing that again." That's because the opportunity costs are actually very large.

Why? Because what happens is that the business practically gives away a huge amount of product in a very short amount of time, overwhelming the company's resources and cannibalizing margins. What's more, Groupon customers are like locusts. They go wherever the deal is, and then never come back again -- unless, of course, you offer another deep discount. All you're doing is training people to buy from you at the lowest possible price, rather than buy at a price that gives you a decent margin. So rather than undertake the discipline of steadily building one's business with consistent positioning, sane pricing, and good service, it's a quick hit that comes and goes, leaving nothing satisfactory behind.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:33 AM

31,188 posts, read 68,403,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Marketing is about creating leads, building value, and creating demand. Sales is about closing.
(10 add'l paragraphs deleted)
Quote:
The primary distinction w/r/t sales is time frame and with less immediate and ambiguous results.
If the focus is on what was done or sold this week or this month or this year... you're in sales.
Do you really see any significant difference?

I suppose I could have written more... but I'll stick.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Do you really see any significant difference?

I suppose I could have written more... but I'll stick.
Without question. Marketing people don't think like salespeople, and vice versa. Two utterly different disciplines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business