U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2013, 01:39 PM

28,900 posts, read 48,742,111 times

Advertisements

First off, I have formed plenty of S Corps and LLCs. However, I have been brought in to consult with a tech startup that will get off the ground with VC money. One of the requirements of the VC peeps is that the corporation not be pass-through, have Class A and B stock, etc. etc.

I've done a lot in my career, but never formed a C Corp before. I have an excellent attorney on this, but want to know what your collective experience on this might be.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 12:30 PM

25,363 posts, read 33,328,846 times
Stock? Prepare to spend some money to get the whole thing set up.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:19 PM

28,900 posts, read 48,742,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Stock? Prepare to spend some money to get the whole thing set up.
Well, this would have VC capital attached to it. So no problem there.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:41 AM

505 posts, read 831,885 times
Tech startups usually intend to pubicly list stock after a few years. If they are pass-through, then it makes that much more difficult. C-corp is the way to go here. Good luck, it looks like you are already on the right track with VC and the attorney.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:58 PM

1,097 posts, read 3,700,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
First off, I have formed plenty of S Corps and LLCs. However, I have been brought in to consult with a tech startup that will get off the ground with VC money. One of the requirements of the VC peeps is that the corporation not be pass-through, have Class A and B stock, etc. etc.

I've done a lot in my career, but never formed a C Corp before. I have an excellent attorney on this, but want to know what your collective experience on this might be.
An S corp is just a corporation that files a subchapter S election. The underlying corporate form is the same. So if you've formed an S corp, you've formed a C corp. The only real difference you're talking about here is having different classes of stock, but this isn't very complicated - any competent attorney should be able to help you out with this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business