U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 01:58 PM

6,636 posts, read 4,152,241 times

Advertisements

"given the huge increases in college tuition isn't the people actually doing the teaching in the schools."

The cost of college has outpaced inflation by a lot.

Yes, professors are getting paid... but this great increase isn't because of teaching staff, a lot of it is due to non-teaching staff.

Administration in schools is a tapeworm. You see it in your public schools. In the 1950s there was 200+ teachers per 100 non-teaching staff. As of 2010 in my state there is 100 teachers per 110 non-teaching staff. You'd think with computers it'd go in the opposite direction.

My last year of college we saw it. Teachers had been without a contract for two years. Administration got their 3% raise, they hired more administration, and cut student services a half million to help cover it.

College doesn't have to be for the well off/rich, but as it is now it's far too easy to get loans, loans that cannot be discharged in bankruptcy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 03:05 AM

824 posts, read 1,108,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
My last year of college we saw it. Teachers had been without a contract for two years. Administration got their 3% raise, they hired more administration, and cut student services a half million to help cover it.
And that is basically what help a country go down the drain if such things happen.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:55 AM

629 posts, read 1,522,226 times
In absolute numbers there are many more 'C' students than 'A' students.
Kyosaki markets this stuff towards the people who were 'C' students. Let's be honest, most of the folks going into Amway/Quixtar and other Multi-level marketing companies (where Kyosaki got his breakthrough and markets most of his stuff) were not the kids at the top of their HS class who went into engineering or medicine or accounting.

He's telling his readers what they want to hear so they'll buy more of his stuff, simple as that.

There may be something to the idea that more business owners were C students due to absolute numbers (i.e. the bell curve might have 5 Cs for every A), but I guaran-damn-tee that a higher percentage of A students end up owning their own businesses than the percentage of C students that end up owning their own businesses.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:29 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,324,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Robert Kiyosaki (Rich Dad, Poor Dad) has been saying this for a long time, and has finally written a book about it.

But what I want to know is, where do "C" students get the money to hire "A" students?
Peter Drucker also has talked about "A students" being hired because they are followers not leaders. Apparently people who are leaders don't really fit into the "school system" world.

Keep in mind that true leaders "find a way". The *real world* doesn't care what your grades were! The only thing that matters is what you can do with what you have at your disposal.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:13 AM

59 posts, read 87,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
I guess I need to fire myself then....

Ignore what the fraud says.

I don't care what nobody says... that man gave me the answer to what was and had been bothering me for years! I was an average student and average person working an average job and hating every freaking aspect and minute of it. For years, of being chided by my well meaning father (retired from 1 job), I couldn't figure out why I was *different* until I read Rich Dad, Poor Dad and an immediate light bulb went off in my head. He validated me when no one else would. He gave me the courage to step outside that societal box and feel good about myself and to believe that I could have and deserved to have all that my heart desired
--when society was saying the total opposite. So, throw stones all you want at this man, those of us who he helped realize a higher potential are grateful. Even if, in 'your' book...he..and we...are losers!

Old 11-16-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
Peter Drucker also has talked about "A students" being hired because they are followers not leaders. Apparently people who are leaders don't really fit into the "school system" world.

Keep in mind that true leaders "find a way". The *real world* doesn't care what your grades were! The only thing that matters is what you can do with what you have at your disposal.
:::Rousing round of applause:::

Old 11-16-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyAndRugby View Post
Kiyosaki is a blowheart who only became a successful book author after Amway started peddling his books. The guy is so full of sh*t that even elephants are envious of the piles he dumps. Read John T. Reeds analysis of his big book "rich crap poor crap": John T. Reed's analysis of Robert T. Kiyosaki's book Rich Dad, Poor Dad

If you look at the title of his newest book, yeah, there probably are A students working for C students. Sure, you can find some. But how many C students are working for A students?

I am beginning to think that all Kiyosaki does is warn people against getting an education.
Um, did you mean...blowhard? Says the C student to the A student.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:21 AM

44,266 posts, read 55,776,828 times
Maybe C students are more likely to try get-rich-quick schemes and take risks because what else do they have to go for or lose...and so some of them will hit success even if most of them don't.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:55 PM

824 posts, read 1,108,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biznotjobs View Post
Um, did you mean...blowhard? Says the C student to the A student.
Sorry, I am not a native English speaker. Not sure which spelling is correct, yours or mine.

Old 11-16-2013, 04:10 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,325,774 times
I agree with it completely. Let's look at the networking of those A students... I'd say this excludes medical professionals though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or