Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 01:39 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times

Advertisements

Robert Kiyosaki (Rich Dad, Poor Dad) has been saying this for a long time, and has finally written a book about it.

But what I want to know is, where do "C" students get the money to hire "A" students?

Why "A" Students Work for "C" Students and Why "B" Students Work for the Government: Rich Dad's Guide to Financial Education for Parents: Robert T. Kiyosaki: 9781612680767: Amazon.com: Books
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 01:47 AM

102,209 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Did you read the reviews at the link you provided? Here's one answer to your question:

I'm one of the "A" students who never could succeed in any of the several businesses I've started or run, while kids I thought were none too bright in high school and college have been far more successful financially. I've helped a number of them become millionaires in their businesses while I managed their finance and accounting matters and they handled the marketing and sales far better than I ever could. Another winner for Rober Kiyosaki.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:52 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Did you read the reviews at the link you provided? Here's one answer to your question:

I'm one of the "A" students who never could succeed in any of the several businesses I've started or run, while kids I thought were none too bright in high school and college have been far more successful financially. I've helped a number of them become millionaires in their businesses while I managed their finance and accounting matters and they handled the marketing and sales far better than I ever could. Another winner for Rober Kiyosaki.

Did they work for other C students and make a bunch of money which they then used to start their own business? Not many businesses are started on financial fumes, so they must have come up with money somehow to get started.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:14 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
I am still amazed that people go to "Mr. Made up the rich dad because I didn't really know him". I mean this guy is a fraud.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:39 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,997,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I am still amazed that people go to "Mr. Made up the rich dad because I didn't really know him". I mean this guy is a fraud.
Of course he's a fraud. But people love hearing his spiel, in part because it validates their own failures. Even the way he describes A students as "school smart" and having no creativity or entrepreneurial spirit is an example - their success is merely 'memorizing' and 'testing well'. There may be some truth in that - some personality types will do very well in school but cannot translate that school success into the real world. But in my experience good grades often go hand in hand with work ethic, and I would think that people who work harder are more likely to be successful. And of course there's nothing that says you can't simultaneously work hard and take tests well while still being creative and entrepreneurial.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:09 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,392,923 times
Seems like a very simplistic and unprovable hypothesis to me.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:30 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,125,362 times
I guess I need to fire myself then....

Ignore what the fraud says.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:51 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Seems like a very simplistic and unprovable hypothesis to me.
Pretty much. Anecdotal evidence aside, I've never seen a study that bears this out.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:32 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Kiyosaki got rich because a bunch of MLM sales people started selling his book to other MLM people. He used to say he was worth between $50 million and $100 million. Then the world found out when his business partner had a falling out with him that he was worth maybe $8 million, all from sales of his book, seminars, and classes that taught the world how to get rich. What I would like to see him produce is a seminar saying that to get rich, you first write a book about wealth and then you sell the heck out of that and sell seminars and other items that teach how to make money from writing books about creating wealth. Now that is a subject that he is an expert in.

I am not saying that C students are not successful as many of them are allready working on something while in school. Kind of why they are C students, they spend time on more than just school. That is not something that is new to hear though. Kiyosaki regurgitates what others have said. Still, I know lots of A students that are doing just fine and many have also started business's of their own. You just can't label everyone and place them in the same bucket. The world does not work that way. I can point you to people that will not settle for second best and were infact A students, went on to build successfull business operations, and still have that attitude of being 1st in life. Settling for anything less just is not part of the plan for these people.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:40 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Well, I think the premise is a bit of an overstretch, and unprovable to boot.

At the same time, I've found that what makes one a superior student doesn't necessarily make one a good entrepreneur. After all, being an A student is as much about crossing things off a To-Do list as it is about being smart. When one realizes that schools are far more about socialization than actual education, suddenly the Straight A student is more about following rules than outright academic achievement. With that in mind, being a good or bad high school student isn't a guarantee that one will excel in college, let alone life.

Hey, I made dismal grades in high school, but my ACT and SAT scores were very high. So I earned a scholarship to a nice liberal arts college. But once I got into my major, I was on the Dean's List from my sophomore year onward, despite working a full-time job. Since graduating, I have been involved in three successful different start-ups while the guy chosen "Most Likely To Succeed" in my high school class works away in some fusty academic post. Mind you, I'm not disrespecting the guy, but I would shoot myself if I were toiling away in that environment at age 50.

If you are an entrepreneur at heart, think about what you like and don't like. Entrepreneurs despise routine, question the status quo, and are generally independent as a hog on ice. This is a prescription for failure in the highly-regimented world of high school. Yet it is also the requirement for success in business ownership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business