U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2013, 09:48 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,082,401 times

Advertisements

any advice for starting a website based business, that drop ships to the customer via a distributor/manufacturer?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 09:53 PM

60,007 posts, read 78,443,756 times
there are some skilled people on ebay that seem to be able to squeeze out a living internet inc offering drop ships to customer.
but most want it mailed to them.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:21 PM

16,201 posts, read 19,213,851 times
Tough business with lots of competition. There are companies out there that set you up with a website and they handle the sourcing of merchandise and dropshipping to your customers, but they also charge you for the website (which you must buy from them) and a bunch of other nickle and dime stuff, and you're competing with hundreds of other suckers, er, entrepreneurs who all have the same stuff at about the same prices for sale on websites that look just like yours. I looked into it several years ago and determined pretty quickly that it's pretty much just a scam. You'd have to put an enormous amount of time, energy and money into marketing for it to maybe make some money.

Your best bet if this is something you really want to do is to determine what niche you want to serve (don't try and sell everything under the sun) and then try to find companies that will drop ship related merchandise. There aren't a lot of them out there, from what I've found, so it's going to be tough.

If you have the resources (capital and storage space), you should look at building inventory instead. You'll have a lot more options and you won't have a 3rd party sucking you dry with various fees and charges.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,280 times
You will need big margins if you want to dropship your products online and make a decent profit. Online advertising is expensive if you don't know what you are doing. And even if you do know what you are doing, you have to spend a lot of time testing your ads, landing pages, and checkout process. If you don't you will never be profitable.

What industry are you trying to get into?

This is my first post on C-D but I have a lot of experience with what you are trying to get into.

Think about this... instead of trying to sell someone immediately, which is very hard to do, especially online... try marketing a free report that will give your readers valuable information on the niche you are in. For example... instead of trying to sell someone a tube of teeth whitening gel... give them a free report on how to whiten their teeth with cheap products you can find at the grocery store. Then, at the end of the report, tell them "For an even whiter and brighter smile, you should use this teeth whitening gel after you use the supermarket products I just recommended." They will be way more likely to buy your gel after you gave them some valuable information that they can use...

Old 06-01-2013, 08:59 PM

25,238 posts, read 33,158,095 times
I suspect that if you are going to get a manufacturer to drop ship to your customers, you would have to generate a lot of business. A manufacturer can't be bothered for you if you make 2 purchases a year. They want volume.

But, yes, it can be done. You must find the magic product that nobody else has thought of to have drop shipped. Then you must talk the manufacturer into drop shipping for you.

I suspect the companies that offer special drop shipping deals are a rip off. You know, the "make a fortune on ebay" type of guy. They sell the same products to hundreds of small businesses. That makes too much competition.

I do know a couple of people who make a living selling items that are drop shipped to their customers. They are very specialized items and not cheap. $300- $1200 range; not $2 doodads.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:15 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,082,401 times
well at first i was thinking of selling electronics, but then firearm accessories and ammunition. really anything that I can have a decent margin, and at the same time branching into niche markets, and expending for their, i have read "the 4 hour workweek" timothy ferriss..

I am young, its never too soon to work hard and to succeed..

Old 06-15-2013, 04:18 AM

925 posts, read 291,957 times
Do you really want to dropship? How about affiliate marketing? Initial costs=zero. They are basically all free.

Choose one niche, the one you know about, you've tried some products of and will be able to write reviews.

Choose programs that offer tier and recurring commissions*, beside standard commissions everybody offers anyway. Experience affiliates know what I'm talking about. It's all about passive income multiplication.

Choose only the top quality products to write about in that niche. That way you can write the truth and make money with it and help people make the right choice.

_____________________________-

*tier commisssion - you get this when a person clicks through your affiliate link, becomes affiliate too and makes commission

*recurring commission - you get this when a person who once clicked your affiliate link and bought something buys again (no need to click your affiliate link again)

Old 06-15-2013, 04:38 AM

82,973 posts, read 80,458,267 times
like everyone says it is all about the margins . the problem is depending on competition the real players generally buy alot better if they do volume.

they make alot their money on the buy while you are trying to make it all on the sell.

usually the strong do well and the dabblers fade away. it is tough to just pop up on line doing something as a dabbler that the real players already have a big market share in.

we are photographers as a hobby and run an on line website selling photos.

thank god for our day jobs lol.

Old 04-29-2015, 06:31 PM
JL

7,794 posts, read 12,550,728 times
Has anyone sold alcohol online through dropshipping? What are the legalities as far as licensing especially selling to all 50 states. I also have other different ideas about dropshipping business, but really don't know about finding distributors in general. I do have a photography business idea that i was thinking of.

Old 04-30-2015, 05:10 PM

482 posts, read 730,164 times
IMO, starting yet another online retail store selling products that are widely available in today's market is a losing proposition and will end up being a big waste of time. Been there, done that. The typical drop shipper probably has hundreds if not thousands of people who started a simple website and are trying to do the same thing, using the same product photos and descriptions. This makes SEO very difficult (google penalizes you for doing this), so most of your marketing will be limited to social media. Your odds would be better if you have an inside connection to a supplier or manufacturer.

Just about every type of consumer product is now available on Amazon or other large sites like Zappos, Walmart, etc. For the small guy, the only online retail business worth starting is one that offers truly unique or custom made products, but there are several sites for these people to hawk their products, like Esty and Ebay.

Last edited by mark85; 04-30-2015 at 05:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or