Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 06:56 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,571,179 times

Advertisements

I recently interviewed at a office supply delivery business and found the practices for paying employees to be a tad "eccentric". At least in my limited experience.

He pays contractors $5 per item / business stop with no other compensation. If a worker makes 5 stops, he gets $25. No mileage, drives his own vehicle, takes a day off with no pay, keeps his own tax records.

He pays "employees" only $9 an hour no matter how many stops they make and they drive his vehicles and he pays for the gas. There are no benefits. His bookkeeper deducts for taxes out of their paychecks. If they take a vacation day they do not get paid. If they work 2 hours, they get paid $18, no matter how many stops they make.

That's it.

Seems like pretty cheap labor to me, but is it ethical to compensate employees like this?

In closing, he has some "old tried and true long-timers" driving his vans and the rest seem to be casual, as-needed contractors or part-time contractors.

What do you guys think about how this guy runs his business?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 07:05 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
If the contractors are dumb enough to go for it, they are his lawful prey. I would think a lot of them quit rather quickly.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:33 PM

I don't know which is worse, the contractors pay or the "hourly" pay. Both pitiful wages, I believe.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:02 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
I recently interviewed at a office supply delivery business and found the practices for paying employees to be a tad "eccentric". At least in my limited experience.

He pays contractors $5 per item / business stop with no other compensation. If a worker makes 5 stops, he gets $25. No mileage, drives his own vehicle, takes a day off with no pay, keeps his own tax records.

He pays "employees" only $9 an hour no matter how many stops they make and they drive his vehicles and he pays for the gas. There are no benefits. His bookkeeper deducts for taxes out of their paychecks. If they take a vacation day they do not get paid. If they work 2 hours, they get paid $18, no matter how many stops they make.

That's it.

Seems like pretty cheap labor to me, but is it ethical to compensate employees like this?

In closing, he has some "old tried and true long-timers" driving his vans and the rest seem to be casual, as-needed contractors or part-time contractors.

What do you guys think about how this guy runs his business?
I think he's an idiot, as are the people who actually agree to this.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:40 PM

It seems unethical, at best. Maybe even a bit illegal to pay hourly wages which sometimes go into 40+ per week and he says he does not pay overtime.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:28 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
He pays contractors $5 per item / business stop
He pays employees $9 an hour... they drive his vehicles and he pays for the gas.
His bookkeeper deducts for taxes out of their paychecks.

Seems like pretty cheap labor to me...
Seems like a part time college student gig.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:07 AM

Yeah, you'd think. But he claims to have about 7 long-term hourly drivers. I don't see how they make a living.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:49 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I really don't have a problem with this as long as it's legal and there are people willing to do it. It may be the only way he's able to squeeze out a profit in a business that's very competitive and with a rapidly declining customer base with so many going paperless or close to it.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:00 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
Quote:
Yeah, you'd think. But he claims to have about 7 long-term hourly drivers. I don't see how they make a living.
They are getting extra cash under the table from the owner? Periodic bonuses? Tips from customers?

Old 06-13-2013, 09:53 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Around here, and in many rural areas, that isn't all that bad pay for part-time work. There are a lot of trade-offs with part-time workers. I know, I've probably hired hundreds of them over the years. Part-timers are OFTEN unreliable, which means the only way to run a business is to have enough of them on call so that they are a little hungry for work and not shucking it off when they have a few extra bucks. In a case like deliveries, if they are employees he has a huge liability. If one of them runs down a lil-ol lady, his insurance coverage had better be deep. The amount of work or skill required for the job is minimal, to the point that that is a cushy job. Go to store, pick up stuff, drive and listen to whatever, drop it off, collect pay and maybe a tip or two.

Part-time jobs fill a vital need in the economy. When you are hiring for a salaried position, you do due diligence and check previous employment records to make sure the person is reliable. No work record - no job. A person who checks out as reliable in a part-time job has a huge advantage, because many salaried positions involve a major expense in training and lost productivity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business