U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 03:02 PM

4,004 posts, read 5,016,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepwater88 View Post
As superficial as this may sound, I think this could be a hit. Not expecting to get rich or anything, but I would like to start a website specifically geared toward college students and or 20-somethings(young people) who are socially awkward, disabled, have very busy schedules, frequently relocate,etc who yearn to have a more active social life and connect them with more "popular" outgoing types. Any idea how I could go about making such a site? What would I need to do first? How much could I expect to profit if it was a success. Just a thought I had being you have to get more creative in this tough job market and was wondering where to go from here. Thanks!
This business sort of exists to an extent. This is essentially how many "dating coaches" run their business. They basically are paid to befriend an awkward person, help them with style, attitude, etc. They often take their clients out to bars and act as their wingman, etc.

I'd be careful with marketing toward disabled people. When you said that it struck me as kind of odd and offensive evne though I myself aren't disabled but its like what disabled people cant be cook, cant have friends, etc?

I know lots of disabled people are actually outgoing and the life of the party probably because of their disability they have to work that much harder to be accepted.

Aside from that I could see it being big or being a flop. You may get some traction and be the yahoo story of the day or it could be the worst idea ever.

The hard part is how to scale the business. Are you going to be the friend to rent or are you going to have a network of people?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 12:17 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,338,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepwater88 View Post
As superficial as this may sound, I think this could be a hit.
People who are online all the time and are loners will still be loners if you start a website that keeps them online more. Being a loner means you don't interact with others or you interact through an intermediary. Your internet site would be that intermediary.

But I'm not saying it wouldn't work. Social sites of all kinds are doing good now that people don't have the money to get out and mingle.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:31 AM

4,004 posts, read 5,016,930 times
I could really see this going either way, being a hit or being a total flop.I think one hard obstacle to overcome is I think people will be embaressed to call. Also someone who's a loner and needs to hire a friend is probably going to be too shy to call up a stranger and make plans or hire your service.

What do you think the service would charge? Keep in mind not only is this person going to have to pay for your service but if they take their "friend" out to a bar they are going to have to foot the bill for the night as it kinda defeats the point of your workers if they are being paid to take someone out on the town but then have to pay for a night on the town themselves to hangout with someone they otherwise woudln't.

Also, having a steady flow of "workers" who are available on an as needed basis.

I think a cool way to set this up would be making it somewhat of a social media site. Your workers have profiles with their interests and things like that and people can pick and choose their friend. Maybe even some kinda messaging system setup to correspond before hiring them.

One other thing, if someone is paying for a "cool" friend, your workers better not just be some average Joe. better be good looking, stylish, have the gift of gab, confidence, hopefully be successful in life overall with their career, basically just someone who has their stuff together. the tuff part someone who has their stuff together and an active social life probably has plenty of money and better things to do so there's another problem.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:12 PM

25,304 posts, read 17,152,610 times
Interesting idea for sure .

I do agree that those dating coaches do something similar but that is geared toward specifically meeting women .

I'm guessing target audience would still be single guys though ?

I think you'd have to approach / market it right..

You don't want to insult the people . But perhaps if you presented it as providing a service where you helped people to improve themselves . Not make them feel like loners , but offering to improve their social network and the benefits that go with that ...money ,women or men . Also the idea of getting them to experience or explore various things .

Rather than simply a friend to hang with

I'm thinking more like a one stop shop for improvement . For improving all aspects of ones life .

You could have a stylist on staff , a therapist to get people over their fears ..or just refer the members to these services and get a commission . You could probably make a deal and offer them discounted services since you are bringing multiple clients ...kind of a " groupon " model

I'm not sure how many people would outright pay for a " friend" ..but I think they would pay for a bootcamp type of coach . Someone that would follow up with them and make sure they got things done .

Members would most likely become friends since they would be in an environment with similar people with similar goals .

Also having someone with connections to clubs ,bars ,etc would be good

Offer members access to these places .

I think another idea might be to have successful members work as coaches in the future ..this way you could scale the business am build the brand .

You could also offer trips as well and make some money organizing those.

I think finding out specifically the goals of the individual and tailoring the services to those goals is key .

Last edited by jm1982; 09-26-2013 at 11:22 PM..

Old 09-28-2013, 07:02 PM

71 posts, read 56,731 times
this already exists in many places online.

go to craigslist and youll see many posts for platonic friendships or just a person to go to the baseball game with or what not...

Yes, you can try to make a website , but I would only do it if you know how to create a good website yourself with user accounts and good functionality. I wouldn't waste more than a grand on the idea or quit your day job.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:18 PM

25,304 posts, read 17,152,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight12am View Post
this already exists in many places online.

go to craigslist and youll see many posts for platonic friendships or just a person to go to the baseball game with or what not...

Yes, you can try to make a website , but I would only do it if you know how to create a good website yourself with user accounts and good functionality. I wouldn't waste more than a grand on the idea or quit your day job.
I think with something like this thought , the offline element would be more important than the website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or