Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-17-2013, 02:06 PM
 
951 posts, read 1,451,630 times
Reputation: 598

Advertisements

So yesterday, I bought this car charger for my Nexus 4 cellphone on ebay. $2.54 + free shipping

I looked at sold items section there were many sold for cheaper but this seems to be average.

The item is made in china cheap and generic. I started to wonder how much this guy is making.

Went to alibaba.com and all other sites where you can buy a case of them. The cheapest I was able to find was $0.54/piece if you buy 300 of them in one box + free shipping

So let's calculate

Costs
0.54 cost of item
0.30 ebay listing
1.25 shipping first class
0.10 packaging
Total $2.19

I know all these costs because I sell on ebay and amazon frequently

So this guy made only 35 cents on this item?

Why waste precious time for 35 cents?

I am not understanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-17-2013, 03:48 PM
 
9,639 posts, read 6,015,378 times
Reputation: 8567
People spend more trying to make a little extra on the side then they actually bring in and not realize it all the time.

Means their accounting sucks or they don't value their time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2013, 06:46 AM
 
Location: The Southern Sac's, NM
1,872 posts, read 3,407,846 times
Reputation: 2898
Couple thoughts...

Was the item shipped from China? If so, the Chinese government subsidizes their shipping (e-packet) + exchange rate is artificially low so Americans will buy their stuff + poverty level in China is around $1000/year, so even if you are middle class, a profit of .35 is decent.

If it was a US seller, it could be a loss-leader to bring people to their listings. Do they sell other electronics?

Last edited by NMNan; 06-18-2013 at 07:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2013, 07:14 AM
 
Location: Sunnyside
2,008 posts, read 4,723,344 times
Reputation: 1275
these people are most likely buying them for even cheaper than that. the profit still isn't that great, but it's a little bit better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2013, 09:42 AM
 
951 posts, read 1,451,630 times
Reputation: 598
It is not shipped from China, it is shipped from USA

I searched the whole internet and cheapest was like 50 cents if you buy 300 in a box delivered for free to your home.

How can they be buying for cheaper and from where?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2013, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Sunnyside
2,008 posts, read 4,723,344 times
Reputation: 1275
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterno View Post
It is not shipped from China, it is shipped from USA

I searched the whole internet and cheapest was like 50 cents if you buy 300 in a box delivered for free to your home.

How can they be buying for cheaper and from where?
Most likely the place you are finding them at 54 cents for 300 bought them from another place at 45 cents for 300. who might have gotten them from a place for cheaper than that. If you can cut out a middle man or two, it'll up your profits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2013, 09:56 AM
 
Location: North Idaho
32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Reputation: 78389
If they are selling other electronics, it builds up their rating. Also, one successful deal for $3.00 can bring a buyer back for every electronic they purchase. It's that trust issue thing.

Treat the buyer fairly and he will be back for future purchases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2013, 02:00 PM
 
Location: Keosauqua, Iowa
9,614 posts, read 21,260,762 times
Reputation: 13670
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterno View Post
So yesterday, I bought this car charger for my Nexus 4 cellphone on ebay. $2.54 + free shipping

I looked at sold items section there were many sold for cheaper but this seems to be average.

The item is made in china cheap and generic. I started to wonder how much this guy is making.

Went to alibaba.com and all other sites where you can buy a case of them. The cheapest I was able to find was $0.54/piece if you buy 300 of them in one box + free shipping

So let's calculate

Costs
0.54 cost of item
0.30 ebay listing
1.25 shipping first class
0.10 packaging
Total $2.19

I know all these costs because I sell on ebay and amazon frequently

So this guy made only 35 cents on this item?

Why waste precious time for 35 cents?

I am not understanding.
You left out the transaction fees the seller has to pay either Paypal or some other merchant vendor for processing the payment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2013, 06:08 PM
 
4,399 posts, read 10,667,981 times
Reputation: 2383
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
Most likely the place you are finding them at 54 cents for 300 bought them from another place at 45 cents for 300. who might have gotten them from a place for cheaper than that. If you can cut out a middle man or two, it'll up your profits.
No the place brought them at .31 and bought 10,000 of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2013, 08:38 PM
 
Location: Rural Central Texas
3,674 posts, read 10,602,508 times
Reputation: 5582
I dont think they paid that much. I used to work inventory at a theme park. You know those stuffed animals you spend $75 or more on the games to win? They bought them in lots of 100,000 at $0.07 each with flat shipping of $200 per order. Some of the small pieces they get for less that a penny each.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:52 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top