Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 10:12 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times

Advertisements

We ended paper checks where I work. Most of us have direct deposit though. Of those that don't they get a debit card. Our's do not carry a fee though. On top of that you can have checks sent to you. I think they allow 6 free checks a month, which seems like plenty for someone that uses checks to pay bills. We have close to 2,000 employees working in 2 hospitals, a data center - business office, and 12 offsite clinics. We were given an opt out option and it is down to about 9 or 10 people that are getting paper checks. The company that we used for the debit card is nation wide. Not sure why the McDonalds that switched to the cards could not use a similar system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 12:33 PM

107 posts, read 204,838 times
I know if it was me I would not want my check on a debit card. Reason why
you can't pay rent with it or draw from the ATM free with it as there is usually a fee involved.

Also most of these cards have inactivity fees, if you don't used the balance on their time-frame they start
charging you money. Also some charge you money to check balances by phone.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:39 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Some of the people who work at McDonald's are of the type who will not be allowed to open a bank account.

If they have to use a check cashing place, the fees there are very high.

Some of the people who work at McDonald's can not get a government ID. So they can not cash a check of any sort at any location. Without ID, they can go to an ATM and withdraw money.

An ATM card wouldn't be a problem for me,. I'd just take it to my bank and have them move the money into my checking account.

McDonald's work is part time, so those paychecks are small. Probably just about enough to take that Debit card to the grocery store and buy the weeks groceries for the family.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt0001 View Post
I know if it was me I would not want my check on a debit card. Reason why
you can't pay rent with it or draw from the ATM free with it as there is usually a fee involved.

Also most of these cards have inactivity fees, if you don't used the balance on their time-frame they start
charging you money. Also some charge you money to check balances by phone.
How many McDonalds employees do you know that will keep a balance on the card long enough to earn a shiny new fee? Most of the people I see there are either young and will spend the money, living pay check to pay check, or older and the reason that they have decided to work at McDonalds is not for the fun. They need the money.

Not sure about other cards but the one my employer uses allows you to transfer the funds into your own account with out a fee.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Some of the people who work at McDonald's are of the type who will not be allowed to open a bank account.

Some of the people who work at McDonald's can not get a government ID. So they can not cash a check of any sort at any location. Without ID, they can go to an ATM and withdraw money.

Not sure how it is in Oregon but here in California the employers use eVerify. I would think that you would have some kind of ID to work there.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:03 PM

25,559 posts, read 17,263,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
..........Not sure about other cards but the one my employer uses allows you to transfer the funds into your own account with out a fee.
Yeah. Looking around the internet at the various cards that is how everything I found works. But, if Morgan is pulling the stunt the attorney claims, they are scumbags of the first degree.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:27 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,327,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Yeah. Looking around the internet at the various cards that is how everything I found works. But, if Morgan is pulling the stunt the attorney claims, they are scumbags of the first degree.
And those of us who live in the area also know that the attorney involved is an ambulance-chaser and class-warrior of the first order.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:23 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,014,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
If someone working for me could not figure out how to use a debit card they will just have to get a job somewhere else.
Direct deposit maybe. But forcing people into prepaid debit cards is just stupid. Especially if they cannot access the money without fees. I personally stopped using debit cards, and rely on credit cards. Get more value.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:40 PM

2,095 posts, read 3,101,418 times
In case anyone is interested, here is how this case turned out:

McDonald's franchise will no longer force employees to accept payroll debit cards - mcall.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business