Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 01:21 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,228,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfab1 View Post
The bottom line is, if it arrives within the specified time frame that you agreed to by bidding on the item, what is the problem?!? Pardon my bluntness, but you seem to be a bit paranoid.

Why not give the seller a chance to send you the item and see if it arrives when they said it would? If it doesn't get there on time, you can notify eBay (though I'm not sure what action they would take if an item arrives a day or two late.) If your item simply never arrives, I think that you can be confident that eBay will make sure your purchase price + postage will be refunded.

ETA: as far as I know, money is deducted from the seller'sPaypal account at the time they print a shipping label. And yes, I've seen a "shipping label printed" confirmation a day or two before tracking info is updated but still gotten a package w/i the seller's specified time frame.

I'm a bit paranoid because it's been 3 days and it's still stuck on "shipping label created" in USPS tracking. The exact same item, and it's not a common item, has been "re-listed" for a higher price. The terms of the auction mention USPS First Class Shipping, but the tracking info shows Priority Mail 3 Day (which means the item should have arrived today), even though the auction terms mention 4-8 business days. Not sure if I should contact the seller now asking if he/she actually dropped the item off at the post office, or wait another week to contact him/her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 01:28 PM

14,466 posts, read 20,644,378 times
Post the item number here, or the link to the item here, so the seller (and their data) can be looked at for clues that might help you.

Post the item number here of the listing which you think is the exact item you paid for.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:53 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
I won an auction from a new seller with zero feedback who in my opinion, put an unrealistically low shipping price in his/her listing. I paid for the item and am now trying to prepare myself in case I receive a package that's marked "postage due." If this occurs, what should I do?
You won't get a package postage due.

My that brings back memories. I've been an eBay seller for about ten years and I made some whoppers of mistakes (especially on postage) in the beginning. I remember selling a new large wall clock on auction (I had bought the wrong color & couldn't return it) and then had really, really underestimated the shipping fees. Not only did I not make any money on the item, as it sold for almost nothing, but had to spend an extra $10 (over what they paid for shipping) just to ship it.

And, to add insult to injury when my husband went to buy a replacement clock he bought one that was almost identical to the one that I had just spend $10 to "give away".

Quote:
I'm a bit paranoid because it's been 3 days and it's still stuck on "shipping label created" in USPS tracking. The exact same item, and it's not a common item, has been "re-listed" for a higher price. The terms of the auction mention USPS First Class Shipping, but the tracking info shows Priority Mail 3 Day (which means the item should have arrived today), even though the auction terms mention 4-8 business days. Not sure if I should contact the seller now asking if he/she actually dropped the item off at the post office, or wait another week to contact him/her.
If you are concerned just email the seller. Maybe they printed the label and got sick and did not get to the post office yet, or maybe his wife was going to drop the package off at the post office and forgot.

Sometimes a seller will think that a package will be light enough to be able to shipped first class but once it is wrapped and packed and in a shipping box it is too heavy and must be shipped Priority Mail. The seller will just have to take a loss on the shipping.

Old 06-19-2015, 03:29 PM

9,857 posts, read 7,724,981 times
Quote:
I'd wait until Monday evening, giving the PO 2 more days to deliver, then send a message to the seller, just checking to see if they mailed it yet. Could be they printed the label after it was too late to go to the Post Office, so maybe it will be there tomorrow.

And the post office isn't perfect either. I would want to know if someone didn't get one of our packages. I've seen packages get misrouted to the wrong state or come back to our state then back to the right address. Recently I sent four large boxes to Canada on the same day. 3 got delivered, the 4th went to England, then Taiwan where they marked it "attempted delivery" and then finally back to the US and on to Canada.

How is the seller's feedback? Are there any negative comments about them not shipping?

Old 06-19-2015, 04:41 PM

Here is an update. I received the package today, which I am so happy about!!! I received what I ordered, however, here is the odd part. The tracking number that eBay provided me was completely incorrect. I received a package (with the correct items addressed to me) with a completely different tracking number. I typed in that number and it showed complete accurate tracking from start to finish. The tracking number eBay gave me still shows "shipping label created."

The Priority Mail 3 Day envelope I received looked liked it had a USPS tracking number sticker placed over another tracking number on the pre-printed PitneyBowes sticker with my name and address on it. The pre-printed Priority Mail 3 Day label showed 11 ounces, but the seller paid around $10 to ship it. The actual package unopened package with contents weighed around 51oz.

All in all, I am happy I received my items, but not happy about getting the wrong tracking number. I also appreciated all your feedback.

Old 06-19-2015, 05:07 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Here is an update. I received the package today, which I am so happy about!!! I received what I ordered, however, here is the odd part. The tracking number that eBay provided me was completely incorrect. I received a package (with the correct items addressed to me) with a completely different tracking number. I typed in that number and it showed complete accurate tracking from start to finish. The tracking number eBay gave me still shows "shipping label created."

The Priority Mail 3 Day envelope I received looked liked it had a USPS tracking number sticker placed over another tracking number on the pre-printed PitneyBowes sticker with my name and address on it. The pre-printed Priority Mail 3 Day label showed 11 ounces, but the seller paid around $10 to ship it. The actual package unopened package with contents weighed around 51oz.

All in all, I am happy I received my items, but not happy about getting the wrong tracking number. I also appreciated all your feedback.

I am glad that you received the package.

I bet that the seller may have accidentally typed in the wrong weight so his first label was incorrect (and that was the tracking number that was automatically sent to you via eBay). When he got to the post office he realized that the weight was wrong (as they would not accept the package) so he had to buy completely new postage with a new tracking number. The seller should have had to manually update the tracking number and then manually email it to you (as the changed tracking number would not be sent to you automatically via eBay).

I'm sorry that you were worried about the package but it arrived safely so that is all that really mattered.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:44 PM

I'm back with another shipping issue/question. Bought an item on July 2. Listing said usually ships within 1 business day. There have been no shipping updates sent to me at all from the seller. I don't know if the seller shipped the item or not. The listing said delivery by July 8. Is the seller required to send me shipping/tracking info or is that optional?

Old 07-06-2015, 07:53 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,408,163 times
It's optional, but eBay strongly encourages their sellers to provide tracking numbers.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:06 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,964,604 times
When I hear about selling anything that ain't nailed down...I think of thieves. Just sayin'.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMNan View Post
It's optional, but eBay strongly encourages their sellers to provide tracking numbers.

Thanks for the info. I think sellers should inform buyers because otherwise buyers have no idea if the item has shipped, etc and are kind of left in the dark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business