U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 11:10 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,179,422 times

Advertisements

Build an Indoor Soccer arena. One with turf fields and boards like a hockey rink. I don't know of any like that in NYC and it's the only type of soccer I played in Michigan. So now I just play hockey instead of soccer and hockey.

I know in Michigan they do amazing. They're only open a few hours a day too. On the weekends like 6pm-2am (leagues run really late) and the weekdays are 6pm-12am
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 01:59 PM

1,787 posts, read 4,225,143 times
BOWLING.
Leagues go all week, seniors during the day. You could even add Lazer tag.
Trust me, people who bowl, will come.
It's a whole culture.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:20 PM

9,506 posts, read 7,984,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
Build an Indoor Soccer arena. One with turf fields and boards like a hockey rink. I don't know of any like that in NYC and it's the only type of soccer I played in Michigan. So now I just play hockey instead of soccer and hockey.

I know in Michigan they do amazing. They're only open a few hours a day too. On the weekends like 6pm-2am (leagues run really late) and the weekdays are 6pm-12am
You are in Sunnyside right? In Flushing Meadows Corona Park, there are like eight of so soccer fields. On the weekends, all the latinos are there playing, barbecuing, and just having a good time. It is a giant party.

At the Al Oerter Recreation Center just next to the park and Home depot, they have futsal going on. I dont know the schedule though.

There is a place like that in Bethpage Long Island. They have a roller hockey rink, and then some basketball courts that they use for dek hockey.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:52 AM

but do they have fields like this?

That's the only type of soccer I like to play anymore because it's so fast paced. Even on smaller fields that are 8v8 it's still not as good as the boarded indoor fields.

I looked at leagues for a while online and didn't find any that were at a place like I want.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:40 PM

25,407 posts, read 33,373,893 times
The local city governments here have built ice skating rings and swimming pools. You can't compete with them. They don't have to make a profit.

Bowling: the local one is successful. The one in the town just north failed and the one in the next town north failed. The local one has a knack for attracting bowling leagues and I suspect that they really make their profit with booze and food.

Soccer fields are taxpayer provided, as are skate board parks and baseball diamonds.

Paint ball.... I don't know. I suspect it will go out of fashion pretty soon, if it hasn't already.

I had a friend who supported her family with a rent string of horses, but I see most of those have closed down. I think it is a liability insurance issue.

The ski mountain makes money, but that is a pretty darn big initial investment. It's also possible that the good mountain for skiing have already been developed. It takes a very specific type of mountain for a ski slope.

An ice skating rink in a large rich town might work if you had an Olympics quality trainer working there. Maybe. If you could find the trainer to hire.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:48 PM

14,863 posts, read 9,925,958 times
As in most real estate it is all about LOCATION. Here on Cape Cod we also have seasonal concerns. Mini gold is a Biggie down here. The ones that are attached with a restaurant and a ice cream stand on a main road are gold mines. The ones off the beaten path are ghost towns.
If you have a good location, a good population to pull from and a good fun service to offer then I say go for it btu watch that over head including insurance which can be HUGE! When you invite the public on to your property you better have good insurance.

Old 08-14-2013, 03:00 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,885,309 times
in nyc an ice rink just opened up in van cortlandt park

i also think wulman rink is used for roller blading once it's warm out

Old 08-14-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
but do they have fields like this?

That's the only type of soccer I like to play anymore because it's so fast paced. Even on smaller fields that are 8v8 it's still not as good as the boarded indoor fields.

I looked at leagues for a while online and didn't find any that were at a place like I want.
No, they dont convert the hockey rinks for soccer. There is a place out in Bethpage Long Island that will wall up the basketball courts, but for deck hockey.

Indoor soccer without the walls is pretty faced paced too. They say it is better for regular soccer also.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
in nyc an ice rink just opened up in van cortlandt park

i also think wulman rink is used for roller blading once it's warm out
Yeh the same guys that manage that one in Van Cortlandt also manage City Ice, and World Ice. But Van Cortlandt is only open in the winter. Spring and summer it is tennis courts.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
No, they dont convert the hockey rinks for soccer. There is a place out in Bethpage Long Island that will wall up the basketball courts, but for deck hockey.

Indoor soccer without the walls is pretty faced paced too. They say it is better for regular soccer also.
I wasn't talking about converting an ice rink. That's what they are built for. Hockey is never played on them. I've played on the smaller open indoor fields and it's still not enough for me. I'm a goalie, so I really don't like to be standing around.

It's a market that hasn't been tapped yet. The supply of soccer players in the area is huge. I'm sure that you would have no problem making a profit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or