U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 11:36 PM

9,506 posts, read 7,984,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
FWIW, I think there is an untapped market for non-refrigeration "synthetic ice" skate/hockey rinks, at least in Chicago area. My kids play hockey and ice time is at premium prices due to 1) supply/demand 2) high rink overhead costs. The synthetic ice is getting better in quality and sq. ft. prices have dropped. I also think hockey is in a growth mode (again, at least in Chicago youth programs - Go Blackhawks!). USA Hockey stats seem to support this (especially with number of girls now entering the sport). I could see a synthetic ice rink (e.g. in an old converted warehouse) with lower operational costs doing very well... especially if the facility can be easily converted to house other sports (e.g. a basketball/volleyball court underneath removable synthetic ice), host parties, roller derby, etc.
I have heard of this synthetic ice. I have yet to see it in person or use it myself. Do you use regular ice skates for it? Why not just play with roller skates then? Does the synthetic ice mimic the ice surface very well? Are you able to pretty much just "ice skate" on it?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 10:46 AM

25,407 posts, read 33,373,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Then what do you think about a roller skating/hockey rink? No refrigeration is needed for that. I remember there use to be those around, and everyone was using those quad skates. I remember those old 70s sitcoms use to feature that kind of rink.
My best guess is that the reason you don't see roller skating rinks around any more is because they couldn't make any money.

As soon as street skates and in-line skates were invented, it became unnecessary to pay by the hour to skate around in a circle.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:52 AM

One thought about athletic types of businesses:

Parents used to dump their kids off for lessons on the weekend. Now they sit the kid in front of the video games.

Kids no longer need to be entertained with outside activities. Then if kids don't grow up with skating lessons, or junior bowling leagues, they are much less likely to get involved as adults.

Yes, there are some parents who keep their children involved in sports and that make sure the kids does well in school. But there are a lot of parents who no longer do any of that. This business of parking the children in front of the TV or computer has a serious negative effect on sporting types of businesses.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
My best guess is that the reason you don't see roller skating rinks around any more is because they couldn't make any money.

As soon as street skates and in-line skates were invented, it became unnecessary to pay by the hour to skate around in a circle.
Ah so true

And if you wanted to play a game you can do it for free at the local parks parking lot if large enough.

but then I wonder why do people still play ice hockey then? Is ice skates and inline skates much different, or do they just want the checking and fighting?

Old 09-08-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post

but then I wonder why do people still play ice hockey then? Is ice skates and inline skates much different, or do they just want the checking and fighting?
Not my sport, so I don't claim any expertise. I'm basically guessing.

There is money in ice skating: professional hockey and Olympic figure skating, ice races, Ice Capades. It is my understanding that naturally occurring ice is often not smooth enough for safe skating. Ice in rinks is carefully groomed and smoothed.

Also, ice thick enough to skate on only forms reliably in the northern states. Other areas must have arenas with freezers.

If the Olympics would come up with some sort of popular sport involving roller skates and there were sponsors and advertising deals, plus professional tours, then the roller rink might very well come back.

A lot of the drive-in restaurants have closed, so that reduces the pool of jobs available to car hops on roller skates.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:56 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,626,226 times
I live in Toronto, and I am laughing, reading about the idea of "synthetic ice '.

Yes , it can be done, and I have seen it as a novelty act, at a indoor sportsmens show here in Toronto, a few years ago. It was a flop. It is soft surface plastic sheeting, and it isn't really viable for long term use. It wears out fast.

As for private hockey arenas, as business investments in the USA. I would say maybe. If the area has enough people who are willing to pay to play.

Here in Toronto the city operates over 200 public hockey rinks, both out door and indoor. There are a few private multi rink indoor arenas, that were built by private companies, and they do make money, as they are open 24/7, while the city rinks close at 11pm. As a rule in Canada, the city or town has all ready built many rinks, as we need them.

If it were me....... I'd build paint ball arenas, in old factory buildings. Given the gun culture and the number of young males who love the shoot em up video games, the idea should be a good one. It could be combined with a go cart track, and a climbing wall area.

On the idea of go karts. A couple of smart guys here in Toronto have a very successful, indoor go kart track that has a unique wrinkle. They have a racing league, that provides everything that a driver needs, except a helmet, for a season of 24 races( Saturday every week ) with fuel, maintenance, and insurance, for a total cost of $900. This year they have 12 classes, based on age and body weight, that totalled over 400 racers. They also have rental carts at $ 2 a lap, that are available for 12 hours a day, except Saturday. Located in a industrial section of the west end of Toronto, they are making money, for sure.

Have a old race track in your area, that is till operating ? How about a business that offers a chance to "drive a race car " on the days that the track isn't holding races. Up here, we have a couple of them. One is on a third mile asphalt oval, with V8 late models, that have a passenger seat for a instructor. They charge $399 for a 4 hour " experience " that includes pre track training, suit and helmet, 15 laps on the track and photos and a shirt. The other one has high speed go karts that can break 120 mph, on a road course. They offer a half day for $499, and full day for $600, with lunch and video, and instructor. Both are fully booked all summer long.

Jim B.

Toronto.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post

If it were me....... I'd build paint ball arenas, in old factory buildings. Given the gun culture and the number of young males who love the shoot em up video games, the idea should be a good one. It could be combined with a go cart track, and a climbing wall area.

On the idea of go karts. A couple of smart guys here in Toronto have a very successful, indoor go kart track that has a unique wrinkle. They have a racing league, that provides everything that a driver needs, except a helmet, for a season of 24 races( Saturday every week ) with fuel, maintenance, and insurance, for a total cost of $900. This year they have 12 classes, based on age and body weight, that totalled over 400 racers. They also have rental carts at $ 2 a lap, that are available for 12 hours a day, except Saturday. Located in a industrial section of the west end of Toronto, they are making money, for sure.

Have a old race track in your area, that is till operating ? How about a business that offers a chance to "drive a race car " on the days that the track isn't holding races. Up here, we have a couple of them. One is on a third mile asphalt oval, with V8 late models, that have a passenger seat for a instructor. They charge $399 for a 4 hour " experience " that includes pre track training, suit and helmet, 15 laps on the track and photos and a shirt. The other one has high speed go karts that can break 120 mph, on a road course. They offer a half day for $499, and full day for $600, with lunch and video, and instructor. Both are fully booked all summer long.

Jim B.

Toronto.
Most paintball places I have used are rather mundane field of play. In other words, the actual field does not change. I think all those kids that play the video games want a field that will change and has spectacular scenery. That is one of the reasons they play video games.

As I mentioned I would love to get my hands on the books of some of these paintball arenas and see how they are doing.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:06 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,626,226 times
NJ Brazen:

Here in the Toronto area, the paint ball thing is big business.

I know of one that has been in business for at least 10 years, and has three locations, two in the city, in industrial buildings, and one out in the country, on 80 acres of treed land, with bunkers, buildings, cars and trenches. They advertise on local cable TV and have booths at local outdoors and adventure shows.

The industrial sites have old movie sets and props that the owners bought from film companies, after the movies were finished.

Jim B.

Toronto.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:31 PM

401 posts, read 630,625 times
Default sports plex

In northern virginia (outside of D.C.) there is a demand for an indoor sportsplex because of the population. Ideally you want to be off a major road or in a high density area. A lot of industrial warehouses are strategically placed near major roads. If you can find one that is for lease and is not far from a highly dense residential area that would be ideal. Send a note to every landlord that owns one of these to see if the lease might be coming up. The sportsplex should have indoor soccer, volleyball, and basketball. You will have enough business in the evenings from the adult leagues alone. You can also have a mezanine area for people to get a drink after words. You would also be surprised at the soccer clinics they have for 3-5 year olds during the day. Anyone who is staying home with their kid will gladly carpool them to a facility for some rec activity in the middle of the day.

P.S. my daughter actually goes to a warehouse that specializes in gymnastics. It's insane! It's always tough to get into.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifeman View Post
In northern virginia (outside of D.C.) there is a demand for an indoor sportsplex because of the population. Ideally you want to be off a major road or in a high density area. A lot of industrial warehouses are strategically placed near major roads. If you can find one that is for lease and is not far from a highly dense residential area that would be ideal. Send a note to every landlord that owns one of these to see if the lease might be coming up. The sportsplex should have indoor soccer, volleyball, and basketball. You will have enough business in the evenings from the adult leagues alone. You can also have a mezanine area for people to get a drink after words. You would also be surprised at the soccer clinics they have for 3-5 year olds during the day. Anyone who is staying home with their kid will gladly carpool them to a facility for some rec activity in the middle of the day.

P.S. my daughter actually goes to a warehouse that specializes in gymnastics. It's insane! It's always tough to get into.
I imagine NOVA is a lot like the rest of the northeast corridor with many parks, and playgrounds, basketball hoops, and outdoor space to play soccer though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or