U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 08:52 AM

5,722 posts, read 9,131,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
I live in Toronto, and I am laughing, reading about the idea of "synthetic ice '.

Yes , it can be done, and I have seen it as a novelty act, at a indoor sportsmens show here in Toronto, a few years ago. It was a flop. It is soft surface plastic sheeting, and it isn't really viable for long term use. It wears out fast.

As for private hockey arenas, as business investments in the USA. I would say maybe. If the area has enough people who are willing to pay to play.

Here in Toronto the city operates over 200 public hockey rinks, both out door and indoor. There are a few private multi rink indoor arenas, that were built by private companies, and they do make money, as they are open 24/7, while the city rinks close at 11pm. As a rule in Canada, the city or town has all ready built many rinks, as we need them.

If it were me....... I'd build paint ball arenas, in old factory buildings. Given the gun culture and the number of young males who love the shoot em up video games, the idea should be a good one. It could be combined with a go cart track, and a climbing wall area.

On the idea of go karts. A couple of smart guys here in Toronto have a very successful, indoor go kart track that has a unique wrinkle. They have a racing league, that provides everything that a driver needs, except a helmet, for a season of 24 races( Saturday every week ) with fuel, maintenance, and insurance, for a total cost of $900. This year they have 12 classes, based on age and body weight, that totalled over 400 racers. They also have rental carts at $ 2 a lap, that are available for 12 hours a day, except Saturday. Located in a industrial section of the west end of Toronto, they are making money, for sure.

Have a old race track in your area, that is till operating ? How about a business that offers a chance to "drive a race car " on the days that the track isn't holding races. Up here, we have a couple of them. One is on a third mile asphalt oval, with V8 late models, that have a passenger seat for a instructor. They charge $399 for a 4 hour " experience " that includes pre track training, suit and helmet, 15 laps on the track and photos and a shirt. The other one has high speed go karts that can break 120 mph, on a road course. They offer a half day for $499, and full day for $600, with lunch and video, and instructor. Both are fully booked all summer long.

Jim B.

Toronto.
Of course you're laughing - you are Canadian with access to long winters and good ice (you all can be ice snobs!)....You are from a country where sweeping the ice with a broom is considered sport... LOL (actually my DH is Canadian). This reminds me of my friend from Paris who couldn't stop laughing at our fake chateaux here (e.g. Medieval Times).

People (e.g. parents who want to give their kids the "experience") might pay (a lot) for fake ice and fake castles. U.S. hockey parents are particularly money-dropping in this area. Real ice time is at premium prices in most areas (except Minnesota) with undesireable hours (4:00 am hockey practice anyone?). Hockey (and figure skating and roller hockey/derby I think) is in a growth mode - look at USA hockey numbers - and parents are crazy. I think a synthetic ice rink could have a good market.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 08:31 PM

9,348 posts, read 7,915,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post

People (e.g. parents who want to give their kids the "experience") might pay (a lot) for fake ice and fake castles. U.S. hockey parents are particularly money-dropping in this area. Real ice time is at premium prices in most areas (except Minnesota) with undesireable hours (4:00 am hockey practice anyone?). Hockey (and figure skating and roller hockey/derby I think) is in a growth mode - look at USA hockey numbers - and parents are crazy. I think a synthetic ice rink could have a good market.
But the synthetic ice just has not caught on. The best I have seen is a small room size area made of synthetic ice that they use for some kind of practice.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:36 PM

401 posts, read 630,115 times
Default Can't find a field

You can't find a decent field to play on with your buddies in the spring and Fall because it's run by all the county leagues. And of course winter time is where you make your big dollars in the North East. If you build it they will come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or