Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 10:45 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times

Advertisements

An ice rink can work if you are buying it at foreclosure for pennies on the dollar while keeping it's long-term contracted, rent-paying tenants (e.g. private hockey clubs, HS/college/semi-professional team training ice, etc.). This is exactly what a Canadian company is now doing across our country - buying up our now underwater/foreclosed rinks at rock bottom prices and then managing them more efficiently using economies of scale (e.g. better negotiated prices for zambonis, fuel, mechanicals, cafes, etc.). Those Canadians have ice-rink management down to a science! For ice rinks, a big cost is the mechanical/refrigeration systems - once they start going - BIG capital costs...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 05:55 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Definitely an interesting business model.

Canadians and ice rinks? Who would of known!

Old 08-26-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Definitely an interesting business model.

Canadians and ice rinks? Who would of known!
LOL.... I think I've seen a few serious "ice rink management" college degree programs in Canada. I think they may be a little ahead of us in this market.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:04 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,408,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
It has been a winner at ski resorts in the summer and winter. Nice part is the machinery is already in place to get the people up the mountain.
How much is the liability insurance?

I would think you need to provide every employee coming into contact with customers: emergency medical aid training, some sort of sexual harassment training, training to check the equipment, two way radios, safety equipment; on and on.

Seems like an annoying business.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:41 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,737,489 times
If they were good investments, you'd see corporate America taking them over. They're not so they don't.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:37 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
How much is the liability insurance?

I would think you need to provide every employee coming into contact with customers: emergency medical aid training, some sort of sexual harassment training, training to check the equipment, two way radios, safety equipment; on and on.

Seems like an annoying business.

I can't see zip lines being any more dangerous than the primary business of a ski resort! Both are gravity powered accidents waiting to happen! The "rider" on a zip line is locked in/clipped in and only 20-40 ft off the ground so even in a fall it shouldn't kill you ().

Old 08-30-2013, 10:00 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
yeh, but corporations do run golf courses though. And they run amusement parks. I dont see how recreation is any different. It provides a "fun" activity. And there is the Luck Strike Chain of bowling alleys.

And if not for big business or big real estate developers, who has the money to even build such a facility?

I guess I am talking about a business that lets you do an activity besides drinking alcohol. The only things I can think of are pool halls, bowling, recreation centers, and ice rinks, and paintball.

Oh and there is a company called Sport-time that has like 13 locations

http://www.sportimeny.com/

Last edited by NJ Brazen_3133; 08-30-2013 at 10:20 PM..

Old 08-30-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Thought of one. It looks to me like a zip line in a very touristy area with beautiful scenery is a good business.
A zip line in downtown or midtown manhattan going from sky scraper to sky scraper, or even bungy jumping off the new Freedom Towers, AWESOME?

Old 08-30-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
An ice rink can work if you are buying it at foreclosure for pennies on the dollar while keeping it's long-term contracted, rent-paying tenants (e.g. private hockey clubs, HS/college/semi-professional team training ice, etc.). This is exactly what a Canadian company is now doing across our country - buying up our now underwater/foreclosed rinks at rock bottom prices and then managing them more efficiently using economies of scale (e.g. better negotiated prices for zambonis, fuel, mechanicals, cafes, etc.). Those Canadians have ice-rink management down to a science! For ice rinks, a big cost is the mechanical/refrigeration systems - once they start going - BIG capital costs...
Then what do you think about a roller skating/hockey rink? No refrigeration is needed for that. I remember there use to be those around, and everyone was using those quad skates. I remember those old 70s sitcoms use to feature that kind of rink.

Do you guys remember that Jackie Chan Movie where he is like in Texas or something, and enters some roller skating contests?

Old 09-04-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Then what do you think about a roller skating/hockey rink? No refrigeration is needed for that. I remember there use to be those around, and everyone was using those quad skates. I remember those old 70s sitcoms use to feature that kind of rink.
FWIW, I think there is an untapped market for non-refrigeration "synthetic ice" skate/hockey rinks, at least in Chicago area. My kids play hockey and ice time is at premium prices due to 1) supply/demand 2) high rink overhead costs. The synthetic ice is getting better in quality and sq. ft. prices have dropped. I also think hockey is in a growth mode (again, at least in Chicago youth programs - Go Blackhawks!). USA Hockey stats seem to support this (especially with number of girls now entering the sport). I could see a synthetic ice rink (e.g. in an old converted warehouse) with lower operational costs doing very well... especially if the facility can be easily converted to house other sports (e.g. a basketball/volleyball court underneath removable synthetic ice), host parties, roller derby, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business