U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2013, 05:58 PM

101 posts, read 88,320 times

Advertisements

I'm 35 years old and have always lived in Boston. I currently make 51k. Not too long ago I had a job where i was making 42k and I managed. Reading other people's salaries I'm wondering if I'm just settling for less than I'm worth at this point. I work at a higher ed/non profit company and I'm in a customer support type role. I have a masters degree. I guess I went into the wrong field? I'd like to make more but once you accept a salary unless you get a big promotion within the company it's tough to get much more than a 5% raise. I once worked at a company for 6 years where i felt i put in a strong effort in trying to get ahead, trying to get promotions, but it didnt happen easily and then I got laid off. I went back to a customer support role because I feel like that's what I'm good at. I dont know where else i can go from here and I guess it's scary. I'm like ok am i going to have a salary in the 50k range for the rest of my life?? I went back and got a masters thinking it would help me...really hasn't.

I like my job, but i feel like i'm making less than i should be. It's discouraging, but getting a job these days seems so difficult. Interviewing is exhausting. I guess I'm just venting. It's just irritating seeing 22 year olds fresh out of college complaining about a salary of 55k. They dont know how lucky they are!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 01:14 PM

25,407 posts, read 33,373,893 times
$51K is a very good salary until you step up into the area where you have very specialized job skills.

In order to be paid, the employee must generate a lot more income for the business than his salary. If you want more money, figure out a way for your charity to bring in more money and whatever it is depends upon you to run it.

How hard do you want to work for your money? My son makes twice what you do, but he has specialized job skills and works 60 hours a week. He generates a huge amount of profit for the company he works for. He is the employee who is paid the most and he is by far the employee who generates the most income.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:32 PM

10,535 posts, read 12,464,606 times
You can go the US Department of Labor web site (U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics). They break down salaries by occupation and geography to tell you about what people in your occupation make in your geographical area. This will give you an idea of where you stand with people in similar jobs and may give you some ideas of what to expect.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:43 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,552,775 times
It's time for you to figure out a move. Non-profits aren't going to have hugely profitable jobs. Boston is also horribly expensive. Time to make a change. Get the resume done up and start job hunting. Do some research on jobs that pay more in industries that are more profitable. What's your degree in?

Old 08-28-2013, 10:41 AM

2,157 posts, read 2,887,506 times
People always feels they are under paid until they go into sales, self employment, or business for themselves than they truly understand if they were under paid or not. You are only worth what you can bring in. If you think you are under paid, go into it on your own and you'll truly find your answer if you are or you aren't.

I know a lot of people right now would kill for a $50K/ yr job. These people that I know once had decent salaries but now that they are unemployed, they are looking and fighting for $10-13 an hour jobs.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:51 PM

28,900 posts, read 48,759,457 times
Want to do something about it?

1. Start networking your butt off.
2. Learn as much as possible about both your industry AND other skills such as presentation, public speaking, and business strategy. Invest your lunch hour in local industry meetings.
3. Get comfortable learning how to justify your existence in terms of measurable things such as profitability, sales, traffic counts to the web site, whatever. There's a huge difference between walking into your annual review saying, "Using these metrics, I increased blahblahblah 15% over the past year" as opposed to "Well, golly, Mr. Smith. I really worked hard and didn't screw up. Thanks for the 5% bump!"

Last edited by cpg35223; 08-28-2013 at 02:13 PM..

Old 08-29-2013, 01:01 PM

367 posts, read 869,827 times
OK, Non-profits don't pay diddly. If you want to make some money you have to work for a company that makes money and you have to produce revenue for them so they can pass some of that along to you. This is not a hard concept. Deal.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:43 AM

2,679 posts, read 3,197,033 times
The posters here are right. Non-profits generally do not pay well, except at the very high management levels. Unless you move up the management chain, I don't see non-profits working out for you in the long run.

I would network like crazy and sell yourself to other potential employers as already suggested here in order to get a job offer of a higher salary elsewhere.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:36 AM

5 posts, read 5,828 times
I guess you have accumulated all the experiences that you need to move out and find another job. This will be your choice in case you cannot see a speck of a chance that you will get a raise. You also have a Masters Degree which means that you are already a good competitor among other applicants. Do not be afraid to explore your other options in other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business