U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 11:26 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 6,948,748 times

Advertisements

I thought this might be a fun topic. If you were starting a high tech company and you had to make one key hire for your company, who would it be? Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Sergey Brin (founder of Google) or Mark Zuckerberg? Obviously these are the "young" versions of these individuals (with or in Mark's case, the college version).

I would have to choose Jobs between and Gates. In my final analysis Jobs would be my guy? Why because he questioned everything. While this is annoying, not accepting the status quo, in my opinion is the beginning of asking "what if". I think he was really about the company and the products.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 10:40 AM

28,900 posts, read 48,685,833 times
Jobs, for two reasons. One, he always viewed things from a holistic and consumer perspective when it came to things such as design and usability. Second, in his second tenure at Apple, he had the strategic wheels to understand where the world was going and what Apple needed to do to supply it.

Not a total Apple fanboy here, although I use its products. However, when you realize that Jobs essentially transformed the typesetting, graphic design, imaging, music, video, and publishing industries with the various products he brought to the forefront, I'm thinking he would be my choice.

Of the three, I actually think Gates is (Relatively speaking!) the weakest choice of the three. Not to diminish his accomplishments, but I think his success was as much being in the right place at the right time with an operating system that he could push through on IBM's unstoppable existing distribution channel. That momentum really propelled MicroSoft's growth.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:44 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 6,948,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Jobs, for two reasons. One, he always viewed things from a holistic and consumer perspective when it came to things such as design and usability. Second, in his second tenure at Apple, he had the strategic wheels to understand where the world was going and what Apple needed to do to supply it.

Not a total Apple fanboy here, although I use its products. However, when you realize that Jobs essentially transformed the typesetting, graphic design, imaging, music, video, and publishing industries with the various products he brought to the forefront, I'm thinking he would be my choice.

Of the three, I actually think Gates is (Relatively speaking!) the weakest choice of the three. Not to diminish his accomplishments, but I think his success was as much being in the right place at the right time with an operating system that he could push through on IBM's unstoppable existing distribution channel. That momentum really propelled MicroSoft's growth.
Good points and interestingly I started this thread after watching the Jobs Lost interview from 1995 (on netflix). Was really intrigued how Jobs in 1995 saw things like being untethered from the computer and being "mobile" - remember this was 1995.

Gates, I think was/is a master opportunist. He took advantage of IBM (and basically screwed them on the original PC OS deal...) and then he took advantage of Apples "wildnerness years" where Apple created nothing and allowed Gates to invetibly catch up to Apple/Mac featurewise with Win95.

Jobs definitely because he was a visionary and he only would want to bring products that were revolutionary. Interestingly I would take Zuckerberg over Gates because I think he's a young visionary as well. He just got started in an era of immense real-time scrutiny so it may not seem like he's on the ball now.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:15 AM

25,207 posts, read 33,124,029 times
Yeah, right. Like you can hire that type of person. They are competition, not employees.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:08 PM

484 posts, read 1,429,634 times
I would pick Jobs, although I'd debate whether I'd want him as CEO or as Chief of R&D. I think Gates is more of the shrewd CEO type, but Jobs is a better designer.

Jobs did what nobody else in tech could do -- he brought design into an industry that lacked it, and in doing so he made it appeal to the masses. Those of you who were into consumer tech in its early days (1980s) will remember these sterile devices that catered to nerds and businessmen (eg, IBM PC/XT running MSDOS). Women were not into tech. Nowadays, iPads and iPhones are used equally between the sexes. 25 years ago it would have been inconceivable that "nerdy" tech gadgets would be used by females, but look at the world now. Female are shopping at the Apple store then heading over to their clothing store. That NEVER would have happened in the 1980s -- women wouldn't set foot into a tech store like Fry's.

You can thank Jobs for that societal transformation

Old 08-29-2013, 06:45 PM

929 posts, read 1,937,893 times
My choice would be Jobs hands down. It isn't even close. He had the ability to push the techies to create devices that appealed to many, instead of a niche market. That is not an easy task... There is no doubt that Jobs had his many quirks, but his intense passion was undeniable.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:17 PM

9,239 posts, read 7,863,002 times
I would not choose Zuckerberg because he will betray you, and steal your ideas.

I dont need Gates. I can do everything he can, I just need wealthy parents.

I need a Jobs though.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:49 PM

7,007 posts, read 4,230,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I'd put Zuckerberg lower than Gates.

He had one simple idea, and that was it. His management of it since then... not great... It's just an insulated product because there isn't any competition (or real competition). A product that's sorta evolved into the trailer park of the internet.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:00 AM

28,900 posts, read 48,685,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
I'd put Zuckerberg lower than Gates.

He had one simple idea, and that was it. His management of it since then... not great... It's just an insulated product because there isn't any competition (or real competition). A product that's sorta evolved into the trailer park of the internet.
I think that's a valid point. I stand corrected. Apologies to Bill.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:05 PM

15,442 posts, read 16,790,874 times
Jobs, Gates, or Brin - all genuises. I would pick Jobs first, he was a brilliant visionary and knew how to anticipate consumer needs and develop products around them.

I am not sure about what the fuss is about Zuckerberg.

My company woud look like this:

CEO - Gates
CMO/CPM (Chief Marketing Officer or Chief Product Officer) - Jobs
CTO - Brin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or