U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 07:04 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,071,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
So in other words, if I want to make a sale, I have to be willing to bend over just to appease the whims of some jackal who will probably never buy again?
Yes, it's called customer service and is a part of running a professional business.

Quote:
No thanks. If that's the case, then Ebay and all the vultures that lurk there can "shove it" and I'll take my offerings to a better venue that's less hostile to sellers.
I wish you luck finding one. If you do, let us know. I sell at both eBay and Amazon, and Amazon is even stricter. You get no second chances there. But I make considerably more sales at Amazon too, because it has a good rep as a trusted site. It's more automated, more structured. Customers know there is less of a chance they will have to deal with an abusive seller at Amazon.

Curious - did you get a lot of the scammers that prompted you to add that to your listings? Or was it just a one-time thing? Some categories are known for being scammer-magnets (electronics, especially smart-phones, tablets, etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 11:31 AM

4,004 posts, read 4,970,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I wonder what the locations of the buyer and/or the seller have to do with striving "to create a marketplace where buyers find what they are looking for." If there's a chance your items may never appear in a buyer's search, why waste your time?

Ebay has been slowing dying with their ridiculous 24/7 policy changes but this is the worse I've seen.
I used to hate ebay as muhc as the next guy, siding with buyers, crazy policy changes, etc. None the less they have the biggest pool of buyers around and they drive traffic to their site and have return visitors.

I know some people are like well I'll start my own site. good luck driving traffic, you'll spend tens of thousans on adwords and seo companies and still won't have a fraction of what ebay can bring you.

i dont love ebay but its a good place to do business. i just did over 250,000 in sales just on ebay last month. my own personal website did about 20,000.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:34 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
So in other words, if I want to make a sale, I have to be willing to bend over just to appease the whims of some jackal who will probably never buy again?
No, you have to come off as a reasonable human being, not as some nightmare to deal with who thinks of his customers as jackals.

This is a problem entirely of your own creation. If you can't come off as a reasonable person when trying to get someone to buy something from you, then of course people aren't going to give you their business.

Imagine if you went into a local shop and they had a giant sign on the wall threatening to have the US Attorney General (there isn't a big enough for that) go after their customers. Would you shop at that store? Most people would be put off. Online, if I'm put off by one seller, there are plenty of other sources for whatever I'm looking for, so I'm going to opt for the one that doesn't sound like a terrible person to deal with.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:37 PM

35,107 posts, read 43,162,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
It would be better to just put that you don't accept returns in the Ebay options for your listings. Do the documenting, but keep it to yourself. I also changed my listings to all fixed price with immediate payment by PayPal, so I don't have to deal with deadbeat buyers. I sell something that contains information, which is what the main value is. So, when someone decided to use my return policy (which Ebay really pushes), I realized that that was a perfect way for me to get ripped off. Because they already got the information. So I changed my listing to say no returns. In my description, I put that there are no returns because you would have already received the information, but check my feedback to see how happy my customers are. I also have 100% feedback.

Also, right under the price on the listing it says No Returns, but right next to that it says, "But you're still covered by Ebay Buyer's Protection" or however that's worded. So, the buyer still feels covered, but so am I.

There are things you can do to protect yourself, without looking like a meanie. I wouldn't buy from you with that language in the ad, even if you were the best deal. I would feel insulted, because I'm NOT a criminal type. Just my opinion.

Another thought, is your ad/listing TOO full of information? I have learned over the years that a short and really clear listing works better than one filled with tons of info, has a busy-looking page with lots of graphics, different fonts, etc. Kind of like think of the Google search page and how much nicer it is than the old Netscape page used to be with all those ads, etc. Nice and clean. Just thought I'd mention it, in case that's an issue.

One can write "No returns/refunds" as many times as they want to however, IF they agree to the TOS at eBay and PayPal they WILL/DO take returns whether they want to or not.

Old 09-20-2013, 03:45 AM

1,566 posts, read 2,871,666 times
Quote:

No thanks. If that's the case, then Ebay and all the vultures that lurk there can "shove it" and I'll take my offerings to a better venue that's less hostile to sellers.
that's fine and dandy but look at it from the buyers perspective, unless you have really unique items why buy from someone who is probably a pita when you can buy from someone else?

Old 09-20-2013, 10:33 AM

4,004 posts, read 4,970,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
One can write "No returns/refunds" as many times as they want to however, IF they agree to the TOS at eBay and PayPal they WILL/DO take returns whether they want to or not.
b

obviously buyers can lie and say whatever they want but if you put no returns the only way they can "return" is if a case gets rules against you such as buyer says description doesn't match or item is broken. a buyer cant just say hey decided i dont want it or i found it elsewhere. if they say that in origional message not knowing you dont take returns you have proof to take to ebay and say tis not item not described its they decided to get it elsewhere or whatever the reason

Old 09-22-2013, 09:38 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,215,220 times
Quote:
  • Items being offered do sell regularly from other sellers.
  • My asking prices are on parity with going current averages.
  • Shipping is based on flat rate USPS packages.
  • I have clear pictures.
  • I have written detailed descriptions.
  • I have been a member for over a decade.
  • I am carrying a 100% several hundred point feedback score.
The only other thing I can come up with is that I have included language to the effect that states I will get the US Attorney General and/or Local Sheriff involved in the attempt a buyer attempts to file a fraudulent claim and that all items I sell will be thoroughly filmed and photographed prior to and during the shipping process. I've had to include such verbiage because A) I HAVE been burned like this before but did not have the foresight to document everything; I KNEW I was getting hosed but I didn't have a leg to stand on because I couldn't PROVE it. And B) The audience I am selling to is NOTORIOUS for filing claims of misrepresentation/'not as advertised' for even the most minor or trivial things such as a graphic line not being perfectly arrow straight on an item being sold as "new/mint".
Yup. That's it.

I wouldn't buy anything from you, since it looks like you intend to go full out war on anyone with a claim.

Protect yourself with the best documentation possible, and change your comments to say "you're agreeing to buy this as you see it and as it is described. Assume that there may be trivial variances in perception due to subjective interpretation."

Old 09-24-2013, 09:17 AM

673 posts, read 2,523,887 times
Agreed. Practice risk mitigation but don't advertise it. Advertise your products and service.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:18 AM

13,719 posts, read 26,636,961 times
The OP is the online version of a local store where the owner is a grump and follows all the customers down the isle.

Do what you need to do to protect from fraud, but don't tell everyone you are a complete pain in the ass.

As said already unless you sell something very special and expensive the US attorney has no time for you so that mention is complete BS.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:23 AM

762 posts, read 986,932 times
Hey, suppose you are the jackal. How will I know? Just kidding.
Me, personally, I have had a couple of run-ins on eBay.
Item was not as described. The one who put up a fuss, eBay refunded my money and I will never buy from that seller again.
The other one apologized, refunded my money and I bought from that seller again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business