Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 07:37 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
Here's what JC Penney is good for: Underwear.

Their Stafford premium T-shirts are incredibly better than any others. But I think that they can't exist on just that.
And of course Sears is a great place if you need some hand tool or other.
Try the underwear at Costco, it's great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 08:24 AM

41 posts, read 98,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
I'll bet that JC Penney wouldn't be in so much trouble if they admitted customer feedback on their website product pages. It wouldn't even have to be a public forum. Just a place where people can say "These dresses aren't very attractive" or "This underwear seems kind of cheap" or "These sheets pilled like crazy".
You are able to review individual items, don't know how long they let negative reviews stand, but no there is no place to leave general feedback.

Their website is awful anymore. If you search for something general such as, Women's dress pants, size 10, you get listings of every single pair of pants originally available in 10, never mind the fact that size 10 is now sold out and won't be replenished. It's impossible to filter the results to find items actually in stock and available.

In my area Kohl's is kicking their butt, you can find similar items almost always on sale for 20-30% off.

JCP acts like you should be honored to go to their store and pay more. I worked there several years ago, and hate what they've done to their brand and their employees.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:04 AM

810 posts, read 1,449,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by How Cheaply? View Post
You are able to review individual items, don't know how long they let negative reviews stand, but no there is no place to leave general feedback.
No foolin'?

I haven't been there for a little while, but I never saw any opportunities for input anywhere.

They maybe don't know how to run a store, but really, who does? You'd have to have the manners and tastes of people today, and I wouldn't want to be like that myself.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:02 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by How Cheaply? View Post

Their website is awful anymore. If you search for something general such as, Women's dress pants, size 10, you get listings of every single pair of pants originally available in 10, never mind the fact that size 10 is now sold out and won't be replenished. It's impossible to filter the results to find items actually in stock and available.

In my area Kohl's is kicking their butt, you can find similar items almost always on sale for 20-30% off.

JCP acts like you should be honored to go to their store and pay more. I worked there several years ago, and hate what they've done to their brand and their employees.
I always think it's crazy when a huge company with so many resources can't get their websites 'right'.

I agree that Kohl's seems to be doing a much better job in marketing and sales .

The stores are also more pleasant.

This is pretty interesting , it shows the top 100 retailers and their sales
2012 Top 100 Retailers | STORES.org

Their number of stores are similar and their sales aren't much different in 2012, but Kohls sales went up while JC Pennys dropped 2010 to 2011

Old 09-27-2013, 11:28 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I've left many reviews on specific items on the website. Also a few complaints and pleas to restock items with HUNDREDS of positive review...to no avail. I swear, I think the goal was to find everything that was popular and well reviewed and get rid of it in order to completely change their customer base. It worked on me. They no longer carry any of the things I've purchased over the years. The clothing, bed and bath products, home furnishings, etc. that people came back for over and over. And yes, it WAS the place for underwear (and women's hosiery back in the day), children's clothing, tall girl sizes....but no more.

Old 10-03-2013, 02:21 PM

134 posts, read 443,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Regarding JC penny I heard they had got rid of the coupons ,and they suffered a big backlash from their customers

They were trying to appeal to a younger audience ,but didn't succeed at that and they alienated their long time customers .

These businesses are definitely having trouble changing with the times .

There are large stores doing well ,but these ones are not .

In regards to Sears from what I have read it's mostly a real estate play .

The value of the property is where a lot of the value is in the company ..

I don't know if JC penny is the same.

Who knows if they will survive long term .
Coupons are a joke. Just an excuse to put prices back to regular and then discount them again.

I rather have the store keep prices low all the time and not have to worry about it.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:38 AM

810 posts, read 1,449,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unplugme71 View Post
Coupons are a joke. Just an excuse to put prices back to regular and then discount them again.

I rather have the store keep prices low all the time and not have to worry about it.

You would and I would but apparently nobody else would.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:15 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,915,303 times
JC Penney used to be a great retail giant.
Then the new CEO got it in his head to change the marketing
stragedy that had been working just fine and changed the store
so there were no sales at all.
JC Penney was the favorite place for couponers and sales gurus
to hang out. They loved it! That marketing worked for the store.
Now they are in trouble, sure they fired the CEO, but sometimes you
can't come back after disappointing the sales groupies.
That's the way it goes.
Sears went downhill when the company changed hands in the 1980s.
Sears made a fortune with their credit card. They were the first department
store to create one, and they only accepted their own card for decades.
They sold out, accepted all credit cards, and have been going downhill ever
since. They also bought the looser KMart. Boy, who made that stupid decision?
Oh well, out with the old, in with the new I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business