Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 07:40 AM

810 posts, read 1,443,668 times

Advertisements

I'll bet that JC Penney wouldn't be in so much trouble if they admitted customer feedback on their website product pages. It wouldn't even have to be a public forum. Just a place where people can say "These dresses aren't very attractive" or "This underwear seems kind of cheap" or "These sheets pilled like crazy".

How can any company stay in business if they don't know and don't care what people want?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 08:43 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,128,221 times
I didn't know they were in trouble. Every time I go there, the place is packed. I have always bought my athletic shoes there because they have always had a huge selection. So my husband I went there Saturday and I was dismayed to find that their selection is much smaller than it used to be and for the first time ever, I couldn't find a pair of shoes that I liked there. My husband found a pair, but I didn't. Also, in the men's section they had all the shoes out where you could try them on and get the box you wanted yourself. In the women's section you had to ask for your size to try on - which I hate.

And what's the deal with athletic shoes these days anyway? All I could find were loud, bright, neon-colored ugly shoes. Either that or plain white. Nothing in between. I'm not 20 and I'm not 85.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:24 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,547,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
And what's the deal with athletic shoes these days anyway?
That's for sure! I always bought extra sneakers and I'm getting low on good ones to wear because I can't find any that are worth buying.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:26 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,547,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
How can any company stay in business if they don't know and don't care what people want?
They do it by focusing on sales. Many companies follow that approach. I'm not saying JC Penny does because I don't know. But many do. I like Penny's stores.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I didn't know they were in trouble.
And what's the deal with athletic shoes these days anyway? All I could find were loud, bright, neon-colored ugly shoes. Either that or plain white. Nothing in between. I'm not 20 and I'm not 85.

Don't they have news where you are? Google: JC Penney trouble

And I agree about the shoes. But generation by generation, people are devolving back into apes, and that's the way it's going to be. American English used to have words like "Wonderful" and "Lovely" and "Honorable". Now in has words like "Sucks" and "Avenge" and "Shred" and "@$#%&@%".

Old 09-25-2013, 09:17 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,105 posts, read 80,174,082 times
Must depend on where you are. The one nearest us is always like a ghost town, in one of the most popular and busy malls in the area. You will have to hunt for a sales clerk, with most pay counters vacant. Luckily I can get many clothing items at Costco.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:25 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,197,901 times
We have one at the Mall. The Pacific View Mall has four anchor stores, a Sears, Macy's, JC Penney, and a Target. Of the four stores, the Target has by far the largest amount of customers. Both Sears and JCP are dying. About the only one of those 4 I visit is the Target. Then again it is the only 2 level Target that we have in the area.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:39 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,935,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
I'll bet that JC Penney wouldn't be in so much trouble if they admitted customer feedback on their website product pages. It wouldn't even have to be a public forum. Just a place where people can say "These dresses aren't very attractive" or "This underwear seems kind of cheap" or "These sheets pilled like crazy".

I haven't been in a JCP in more years than I care to recall.

However, JCP was never as good as Sears, and when Sears started downhill (long ago), JCP was rushing ahead of them.

What was and is wrong with Sears? Well, they're a mass marketer of all the same stuff everyone else sells (except for tools and a few select other items) at a higher price than other people, with no compelling reason to buy from them and pay more money.

I suspect that's what's wrong with JCP these days.

Sears has been a "neglected" retailer for eons. It has run on autopilot, with no vision for innovating themselves into something that leads, instead of lags behind, the market.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:14 AM

Here's what JC Penney is good for: Underwear.

Their Stafford premium T-shirts are incredibly better than any others. But I think that they can't exist on just that.
And of course Sears is a great place if you need some hand tool or other.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:00 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,295,020 times
Regarding JC penny I heard they had got rid of the coupons ,and they suffered a big backlash from their customers

They were trying to appeal to a younger audience ,but didn't succeed at that and they alienated their long time customers .

These businesses are definitely having trouble changing with the times .

There are large stores doing well ,but these ones are not .

In regards to Sears from what I have read it's mostly a real estate play .

The value of the property is where a lot of the value is in the company ..

I don't know if JC penny is the same.

Who knows if they will survive long term .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business