U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 08:43 AM

560 posts, read 1,432,319 times

Advertisements

I mean do you think they are trying to push retailers out of business? Think about it, when an employer pays a worker $9.00/hour (which is around $8.00 after taxes), how much money does this worker have left after rent, insurance, etc is paid? Not much, meaning he will have nothing left for things like shoes, clothes, etc which is bad news for DSW, MACY'S, NORDSTROM, etc. I think retailers should push employers to pay workers more so that they will have money left over to shop. What do you all think?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 09:01 AM

1,566 posts, read 2,884,298 times
retailers should tell other people how they should pay THEIR employees?
good luck with that

Old 09-28-2013, 11:11 AM

19,216 posts, read 58,393,021 times
I think you mean clerk, not retailer. Retailers are the COMPANIES that sell retail. Clerks work for them.

Old 09-28-2013, 04:05 PM

560 posts, read 1,432,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
retailers should tell other people how they should pay THEIR employees?
good luck with that

The way you put it is so funny, I could not help laughing! I know what you are thinking..Retailers themselves pay minumum wage so how dare they tell other employers to pay more so that the workers can shop in the retail shops. It is just too funny all around..

Old 09-28-2013, 06:42 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
33,195 posts, read 60,356,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatiana1 View Post
The way you put it is so funny, I could not help laughing! I know what you are thinking..Retailers themselves pay minimum wage so how dare they tell other employers to pay more so that the workers can shop in the retail shops. It is just too funny all around..
Me too. Retailers depend on the people making a decent salary to keep them going, while their employees shop at the thrift stores.

Old 09-29-2013, 04:18 AM

19,220 posts, read 25,380,142 times
if you havent owned a business, its not that easy

most of all businesses are small busineeses, whether its a hardware store, grocery store, restaurant, now competing with the giant chains
people like cheap,,,so they go where the cheapest prices are- like a walmart,,,so to compete with a walmart or home depot,,,a business has to sell its products cheaply,,,which means low margins (profits)

with state federal taxes, property taxes, insurance, electricity, advertising, etc, businesses have a tough time staying open,,,again im talking of small business not the box stores

of course owners would like to pay more to employees, but again,,to offer cheap prices, you dont make alot of profits..

try opening your own business and you will see a whole new world....

thousands of small businesses have closed because again..most people like cheap-keep shopping walmart, with most cheap goods coming from china....but dont wonder why they dont pay much...

manufacturing jobs use to pay more than retail jobs, but again...alot of manufacturing has shut down ,,because of buying cheap goods from china...

its a vicious cycle

Old 09-29-2013, 04:26 AM

83,250 posts, read 80,758,386 times
Quote:
I mean do you think they are trying to push retailers out of business? Think about it, when an employer pays a worker $9.00/hour (which is around $8.00 after taxes), how much money does this worker have left after rent, insurance, etc is paid? Not much, meaning he will have nothing left for things like shoes, clothes, etc which is bad news for DSW, MACY'S, NORDSTROM, etc. I think retailers should push employers to pay workers more so that they will have money left over to shop. What do you all think?
what do i think? let us all know how that idea pans out. lol

Old 09-29-2013, 05:16 AM

3,866 posts, read 5,582,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

try opening your own business and you will see a whole new world....

This! Most have no idea how small the profit margins really are in small businesses.

Old 09-29-2013, 03:57 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,253,807 times
The purpose of hiring someone is to rent their productivity to make you money. Not to be a charity.

Estimates are that 1/3 of all people employed are hired by firms under 100 employees.

There's about 21 million businesses that have NO employees. About 6 million that do.

About 3.6 million businesses have 1-4 employees.

Do all these exist just so they can hate on retailers and the consumer can't buy anything?

Of course not. They all are in business to try to prosper.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:12 AM

4,004 posts, read 5,016,930 times
Quote:
your question is either phrased incorectly or just plain makes no sense. you ask if retailers should push employers to pay employees more money. guess what retailers are the employers so are you aksing if they should push themselves to pay more?

also, it's not a companies job to make sure you can afford your bills, its your job. if you want to talk about raising the minimum wage that's entirely another issue but there's certain jobs which aren''t worth more than $8 an hour.

i run a very small busines. right now its myself and my partner. the work is getting so much were going to need to hire someone. if you forced me to pay someone $12 an hour i wouldn't hire someone, i'd continue doing the work myself. on the other hand i could use someone basically just to stuff envelopes for me. that takes no special skill so id be willing to pay $8 an hour and nothing more.

now you could say im not paying enough but guess what, there's probably some high school or college student out there who would love to make $8 an hour for a few hours a week and would like the flexibility it offers. on the other hand this job probably wouldn't be great for someone who has to support a family as the pay is low and its limited hours.

not every job is meant for someone to support a family on. some jobs are worth less money but they are meant for kids or retirees to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or