Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2013, 09:06 PM

5 posts, read 9,410 times

Advertisements

I have the opportunity to purchase a small business. It's in the retail field. The business has been in existence for over 6 years with a profit of 45k yearly. The owner is asking $30k which includes all clients, inventory, hardware. Everything will be left, the owner would like to walk away completely. The owner is only open on the weekends. Is this something worth looking into to purchase? My other question is how would I go about a small business loan? I have a condo, 10k in the bank for a down payment and a credit score of 630. Please help.

Thanks you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 09:19 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Talk to your local SBA. They have people who really can offer you advice. That being said, I'd pay a good CPA to really look at the books with a fine-toothed comb.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:33 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Are you an expert in the products they are selling? Do you have experience in marketing to build up the business? If they are making a profit of only $45k, and you do the same amount of business, deduct the loan payments from that and it's not much to live on. Also, how do you know they actually made that in profit? It's hard to tell without seeing the actual tax returns for the owner. You also have to come up with the surety on the lease, and make sure you can get approved by the landlord, who will probably raise the rent from what the current owner is paying. As a first-time business owner there will also be deposits on utilities.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:17 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Are you an expert in the products they are selling? Do you have experience in marketing to build up the business? If they are making a profit of only $45k, and you do the same amount of business, deduct the loan payments from that and it's not much to live on. Also, how do you know they actually made that in profit? It's hard to tell without seeing the actual tax returns for the owner. You also have to come up with the surety on the lease, and make sure you can get approved by the landlord, who will probably raise the rent from what the current owner is paying. As a first-time business owner there will also be deposits on utilities.
Are you planning to work there full time? Is the owner working full time or is it mostly absentee? I'd also say 45k is not great income for being a business owner. I guess it depends on the part of the country.

SBA Express | SBA.gov You might want to take a look at SBA Express

Old 11-26-2013, 01:42 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Profit is what is left after all expesnses are paid. Does the owner count an income from the business? What would your income be on top of the profit? Realize that the income of an owner is a cost to the business and is not profit.

$30,000 is an interesting number. What do you say the business is valued at? If it does have $45,000 in profit then why ask only $30,000 for the business? Is the inventory any good? I have seen a few places change hands and the inventory was part of the deal, only to find out that the inventory was out of date. I would have an accountant check it out as well as someone with in the industry. Then again it is retail right? Is there a way to check what things have sold and the frequency of sales?

Is one day a week the only day you can run this kind of business? Can you open on other days?

Old 11-26-2013, 06:15 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Interesting it would only be open on weekends. Seems unusual for a retail store.

If you could scale it up and open more days as SOON2BNSURPRISE mentioned you could possible increase your profit a lot. Is the current owner doing any ecommerce too? Although that would be a separate type of business and take more time it could be an additional revenue source.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:01 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
In existence for 6 years... it is time for the lease to expire. Check that out carefully. Maybe that is OK and maybe it won't be.

Also, some careful research to find out if anyone is planning to open a competing business nearby. There won't be enough business for two stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business