U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 11:39 AM

5,356 posts, read 9,478,459 times

Advertisements

Only obstacle is the dollar coin's lack of commonality. It would be much easier to buy from vending machines with a dollar coin and get my quarter back in change, instead of fooling the bill acceptor to accept my crumpled dollar bill.

I would like to buy a newspaper from a rack, but since the major newspapers are almost $2 for a daily edition, they are inaccessible to me with dollar bills. These racks are mechanically operated, requiring no electricity like soda or snack vending machines, so they lack bill acceptors. This prompts me to stop in Walgreens or CVS to buy today's paper. (Oddly enough Walmart sells them, but Target does not.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 01:53 PM

14 posts, read 10,058 times
I have 2 friends in this business but they are in a totally different league. Ray has several employees and makes several hundred thousand dollars a year. He invested his money wisely and now makes several million a year in the stock market & oil. Willis is small and does most of the work himself with some help here and there. Willis must make good money because he owns 2 houses and has owned several race cars while having no debt. Willis has several machines, all Dr. Pepper and candy machines, no healthy eating for him but I'm sure Ray has all kinds of machines.

Old 01-19-2020, 02:58 PM

4 posts, read 1,158 times
Thumbs up doing full time vending

I have 2 locations here in Vancouver Canada and i visit them every week. The 2 locations are mostly regular products: soda, chips and chocolate bars are mostly bought from Costco here in Canada.
Sometimes i cross the border to the USA and buy some almost expired items such as : 3 for $1 dollar and sell it here back in Canada for $1.50 per item. They are not expired but maybe 2 months before expiry dates.

I put them in my weekly locations. 2 good high traffic locations weekly sales is about $300 per week ( combines ) so a month is about $1,200 for just 2 locations of 3 machines: 1 soda pop and 2 snack machines.

It helps my pay my expenses. With these locations nothing is enough here in Vancouver because everything is ridiculouly expensive. But if you have very good locations, vending will provide a good side income.

By the way i have to pay 10% commission on my gross sales for these 2 high traffic locations.

Last edited by vter; 01-20-2020 at 05:57 AM..

Old 01-19-2020, 08:40 PM

8,319 posts, read 7,502,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
So when a kitchen is outfitted with new commercial appliances and hair salons have all new sinks/machines then that wouldn't be permanent either right?

You got called out, you learned something so it's all good Mase! The moral of the story for the OP is if the tenant bails, his machine is going to be lost (either to the landlord or the tenant that took it on move out day).
TS is talking about vending machines. Those are not fixtures. They are portable.

Old 01-21-2020, 12:57 PM

14,074 posts, read 9,899,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franzink View Post
I have 2 locations here in Vancouver Canada and i visit them every week. The 2 locations are mostly regular products: soda, chips and chocolate bars are mostly bought from Costco here in Canada.
Sometimes i cross the border to the USA and buy some almost expired items such as : 3 for $1 dollar and sell it here back in Canada for $1.50 per item. They are not expired but maybe 2 months before expiry dates.

I put them in my weekly locations. 2 good high traffic locations weekly sales is about $300 per week ( combines ) so a month is about $1,200 for just 2 locations of 3 machines: 1 soda pop and 2 snack machines.

It helps my pay my expenses. With these locations nothing is enough here in Vancouver because everything is ridiculouly expensive. But if you have very good locations, vending will provide a good side income.

By the way i have to pay 10% commission on my gross sales for these 2 high traffic locations.
Is that legal?

Are you following the label laws in Canada when you do that?

"You can’t just put a foreign product on Canadian shelves as is. Labels need to be in both English and French. Measurements must be converted to metric. Food labels must include specific nutritional information."

https://www.bdc.ca/en/articles-tools...ts-canada.aspx

Old 01-21-2020, 08:24 PM

Most of the vendors here in Canada put US products on their vending machines. I know about 99% of the vendors here put canadian and US products and there are no problems.

Most of the vending machines are located inside private properties.

Old 01-23-2020, 02:15 PM

1,085 posts, read 676,840 times
A friend of mine used to have an amusement vending company. He put video games/sports games inside bars and restaurants. He said almost every owner would buy him a beer when he made his rounds. It made the day a little long and a lot woozie.

He had to invest in a truck with a lift gate, buy replacement parts, do maintenance and he also bought the territory from someone else.

He did it for two years and then sold it. In the end he thought he may have broken even.

Old 01-24-2020, 12:59 AM

Just wondering how many amusement vending machines he owns 2 years ago. I think is a lot better than pop and snack vending machines since i still have an added cost: Products. Unlike your friend who do not need to buy products for refilling the machines.

Old 01-25-2020, 08:49 AM

1,085 posts, read 676,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franzink View Post
Just wondering how many amusement vending machines he owns 2 years ago. I think is a lot better than pop and snack vending machines since i still have an added cost: Products. Unlike your friend who do not need to buy products for refilling the machines.
I think he had dozens of locations with multiples in each. You have to share the intake with the bar, so not all the income was his to keep.

Old 01-25-2020, 09:53 AM

I also have one vending location that requires me to take out the cash everytime to visit them. and the owner gets 20% from my totals sales leaving me only $14 profit for a whole 2 weeks. They do not understand that the gross sales is not pure profit. I just keep the location since it is within the vicinity with all other locations group together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business