U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 08:10 PM

48,508 posts, read 87,818,416 times

Advertisements

You better know waht you are doing and keepon top of thngs because it is easy not to and get criminal charges file against you. Nothing like a hospital really and alot of hospitals wouldn't pass in this country.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 11:33 AM

2 posts, read 8,315 times
After searching for years for the "right" ALF for my mother...I have come to the conclusion that what we are looking for is not out there. (at least not in MD) So we decided to "create" our own care facility. Does anyone know of any existing assisted living facilities in MD on the market?

Old 08-06-2009, 04:32 PM

890 posts, read 2,579,597 times
I am not sure how similar Assisted Living Homes are compared to Adult Residential Facilities (ARF).

In the ARF, it's a non-medical facility; and license to operate is governed by Department of Social Services (DSS). DSS would have info and required seminars and applications, so give your state's DSS a call for the right info. Or you can hire consultants to help you around and do the paperwork.

In my experience, it is a 24/7 responsibility as the licensee/administrator. It's a way of life to run it. I could not just go out for a weekend getaway out of a whim because I have to make arrangements with dependable staff to handle come what may in my absence.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,558 times
I would rec doing lots of research before considering a purchase. Spend time in a facility that is similar in size to the one you want to purchase. Talk with the owners get the skinny on their challenges.

Old 04-24-2010, 03:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,257 times
Looking for an assisted facility to buy hopefully in California. Also, any advice/feedback/stories about owning assisted care facilities is very welcome. In Calif Federal pays $8,000 per person per month. Is it the same all over the country?

Old 10-12-2010, 05:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,947 times
I stumbled across this website when googling Nonprofit ALF. I live on a lake in Manchester, MI. My husband and I have worked in hospice for 8 years. I am a nurse and he is a chaplain. He is now going back to nursing school. My dream is to open a 12 bed home on our lake where residents can come in to Assisted Living and never have to leave...until God says it's time at least. I only need to support my family, not looking for an unrealistic return. I want them to enjoy each sunrise, sunset, watch the kids playing in the water, be cared for by people who ACTUALLY want to be there with them and live each day to the fullest. Is it possible to run this type of ALF/Hospice facility as a non profit? Anyone have experience with this or any suggestions?

Old 02-02-2011, 08:01 AM

1 posts, read 2,708 times
Recently took a job of cna at a local facility. Appears more like a pill pumping station four times a day! I would love to see someone open a NATURAL HOLISTIC ASSISTED LIVING FACILITY. Sadly, they line up each and every day to be pumped full of chemicals that have serious side effects. Otherwise, this profession is truely a noble one. Alot of compassionate people with a huge amount of paperwork and PILL FACTORY documentation. There is very little time for the REALLY important issues of aging and well being. We need to reconsider what is "assisted living" because it appears to me we are assisting BIG PHARMA in making billions and destroying what life these folks have left in the process.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:37 PM

3 posts, read 5,462 times
9/5/2013

I am obviously missing some knowledge being uneducated in the process of purchase . scenario 1. im interested in purchasing an established senior assisted living facilty, a business in calif. (with or without the property is irreverent ) with this being established staff and administration is in place. I apply for a business license or is the license that business transferred to me? as well as any other license, since the 'staff' is in place I assume the medical or non medical details are in tack prior since the previous owner was mostly considered a 'absentee owner', obviously Ill secure and confirm these impt details before any purchase decision etc so why is it so big a deal if im a absentee owner and things go on as established as they were. im must be missing a critical element here. possibly the transfer of license or obtaining a business lic. is difficult? what about a loan of this sort, with such a large net income it 'should' not be considered hi risk for a bank. my credit is good except for 1 current atnt unsettled dispute. that 'loan' and down pymt is my next question/message if I get through this one....help is appreciated
signed by just about broke

Old 09-07-2013, 10:48 AM

28,900 posts, read 48,759,457 times
I only know a little about this biz, but I can say this. You really need to investigate the regulatory and legal issues before taking it on. Six residents seems like a very small pool, which means any given resident leaving could create a giant hole in your cash flow.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:14 PM

9,506 posts, read 7,984,015 times
What kind of building can you convert to an "assisted Living"? Does it have to be on commercial space, or you can designate a residential dwelling in a residential zone as one of the assisted living facilities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business