U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2007, 07:23 PM

24 posts, read 127,560 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone !!!

My husband and I are both nurses and looking to take over an exisiting 6 patient assisted living facility. Wondered if anyone on this thread owned one.
We know you have to married to it. Not sure it will be worth it for us. We want to continue to work full-time, so we would have to hire CNAS to care for the patients. If anyone can give some genuine advice, we would welcome it with open arms !!!

Thanks
Julie
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 08:22 PM

6,046 posts, read 22,315,294 times
I've worked with seniors in healthcare for 5 years now. I can't say anything about owning an assisted living, but I think in general healthcare and healthcare related to seniors is already a moneymaker and will only become moreso as time passes. In many areas assisted living beds are hard to come by, which makes them quite desireable.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:14 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
26,166 posts, read 43,931,167 times
I don't own one yet, but B-i-L has built / staffed / sold ~ 5; 50-75 bed units and is currently building 2 more. It is very lucrative to develop a profitable operation from scratch and sell it to a corporate operator, but this requires experience.

I would recommend working for / partnering with a very knowledgeable person. State regs / support vary greatly. It will be a full time job for administration and another fulltime job for operation. I might look at running one side or the other. I would not recommend trying to do this as a side business unless you have significant help, and latitude for crisis managment. There are many families from eastern europe running adult care homes of the size you mentioned in our area. They have a lot of $$$ backing, plus a big infrastructure of available care providers (they have a local sub culture of folks needing work).

There is tremendous need, satisfaction and profit in this area, just be very diligent in your research, and don't trust someone else's numbers. Get a very good accountant, attorney, and adviser, and most importantly do it all under a corporate shield or LLC to protect your assets.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:16 PM

janb

Thanks for your knowledge and input... You brought up some very good points I hadn't thought of. It is a lot to take on.
You mentioned not owning one yet ... Are you in the process of buying a new facility or an existing one.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:19 PM

cristina0001
You are right, that's one of the reasons we are thinking of buying this ALF.
Thanks for your input...

Old 11-30-2007, 01:35 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
26,166 posts, read 43,931,167 times
We will be investing the 'properties / facilities' side, as I don't feel competent to tackle the operations, yet. I am in school again after a 30 yr career, non-related, but also did 30+ yrs of elder care for my dad... I plan to do an internship in operations work with a corporate ALF firm. I am not keen on the corp ownerships and have been most impressed with non-profit land trusts and some of the rural Good Samaritan facilities.

Our ultimate personal goal is owning an 'aging-in place' facility / village complete with apartment to skilled care, and community gardens, workshop, and coffee shop for an integrated community. (fields with cows and sheep for folks to watch, help too, especially in springtime). We have seen very few of these places, but they are around, and the livability is superb.

I really dislike the facilities that cause couples to have to split up when level of care of one exceeds the 'assisted' level. I have attended to the hospice needs of a few friends this year and it was difficult knowing that they were rushed into hospice, due to lack of facilities to give them more thorough care. There are some tough ethical issues, and dealing with the 'adult' kids is a challenge...(who often don't know the options, and really don't want to be bothered). We often find ourselves being surrogate 'kids' to seniors who don't trust or even have contact with their own kids, and certainly cannot talk about these issues... I really enjoy the 'planning' tasks and took an 'elder law' course last year. It helps that I'm a 'schemer' (there has got to be a way to accomplish stuff, you just have to dig it up, or invent it). I can work within the rules, its just getting the straight answer on the rules that is tough.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:15 PM

6 posts, read 12,733 times
Appreciation in favor of your information and contribution...
You bring up a quantity of very good points I hadn't consideration of. It is a bunch to receive on.
You mentioned not owning one until now ...
Are you during the procedure of buying a new ability or an existing one.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:56 AM

323 posts, read 1,618,337 times
I am an R.N. and also interested in learning how to leverage my money.
This sounds like something I would be interested in.
Can anyone share any more about how to get into this?
Thank you

Old 06-01-2009, 07:24 AM

3,553 posts, read 7,148,368 times
I don't know much about the business side, although my MIL is in one, but 6 sounds way to small to be profitable. Every staff dollar you have to spend is being amortized against only 6 revenue streams. That's kitchen, food servers, janitorial, nursing, maintenance etc. It seems to me that would be like opening a restaurant that only sells items that cost less than one dollar.

Tread carefully.

golfgod

Old 06-04-2009, 11:56 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,290,612 times
One thing to always remember after you are raking in the profits from the backbreaking work of ALL employees involved is to give them the Lowest possible raises allowable by law and keep benefits unatainable (sp) for the lowest paid. That way you can say you worked real hard for the nice things you have and not feel guilty for the less fortunate, who really earned for you.

I know it is your money invested, and everyone should go to college and be capable of the same fortunes. Dang worker bees, they are not supposed to know things like that. Anyway this rant is about all the people out there that bust there butts for the more fortunate and get no respect for it.

God Bless You!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business