Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 08:24 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,895,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Are you sure about that: I thought he meant he trashed the lamp, but I am guessing it was not an original.
That being said, we have had great luck with Craig's list. We have sold and bought using them. Would I recommend for renting or buying a home or for job hunting? Absolutely not. I have heard too many horror stories.

We all have to remember there are nuts out there. They come in all sizes. And I have no idea how many times people say they will be right over and they never show. I guess they don't have the same definition of Right over I have.
He was talking about trashing the emails not the items for sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 09:55 AM

15,413 posts, read 9,044,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
I had the most amazing Craigslist experience this week, and I have to share. I listed a car for sale, and I received an email within an hour with a full price offer. The guy came to my house, and he bought it. He never asked for a lower price, and he never pointed out a flaw in the vehicle or did anything to imply he'd like a lower price. He paid with cash, signed the paperwork, and he left. I couldn't believe it.

I can't sell $50 planter boxes and other handmade items I spend hours on, without someone asking for a lower price, but I can sell a dang car and get full price.
I sold a car on Craigslist the same day I listed it, to a guy who drove a 100 miles to come and pick it up. The only issue I had was that he dropped the price when he was paying me, after he had already loaded the car on his trailer. It was OK though, the price he paid was within the price range I would have negotiated anyway. I just wish he had offered that before we agreed to the transaction. He needed the car and I needed to get rid of it, so it was all good though.

That same day I sold a 27 inch large screen computer monitor to a guy for $10. The monitor had some stuck pixels and a slight flicker. I showed the guy the problems and told him that was the reason I was selling it so cheap. He ended up calling me back wanting to return it. Like even after I showed him the problems, he still expected a perfect monitor for $10. After that I didn't even bother to relist it. I just dumped it at the recycling center. The only reason I listed it, is because I thought somebody might be able to make use of it.

Old 07-07-2017, 03:01 PM

17,262 posts, read 21,991,461 times
Want to laugh for hours: dontevenreply.com

This guy posts humorous stories online based on baiting craigslist users

Old 07-07-2017, 08:27 PM

6,568 posts, read 4,960,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Are you sure about that: I thought he meant he trashed the lamp, but I am guessing it was not an original.
That being said, we have had great luck with Craig's list. We have sold and bought using them. Would I recommend for renting or buying a home or for job hunting? Absolutely not. I have heard too many horror stories.

We all have to remember there are nuts out there. They come in all sizes. And I have no idea how many times people say they will be right over and they never show. I guess they don't have the same definition of Right over I have.
I've found 2 really great jobs on CL and had a few other legit interviews. But I've reported a ton of them for being scams too.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:41 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,923,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
Never post the "curb alert" notices, i.e. "couch and other furniture at curb at 1234 Anywhere St., Hometown". You just might find that the furniture is gone, but so is your patio furniture, your hubcaps, and your dog.
I post curb alerts for free items. I post "free" item at the intersection of ____ and ____. You'll see the item if you come to the area, it's at the curb. If it's gone, you won't see it. There are about 10 houses at that intersection. I get replies, "can you give me your exact address", um, no, I won't. You come to that intersection, and the desk is at the street with a big "FREE" sign on it, or it's not. I'll remove the ad when the desk is gone.

No, I won't hold it. No, I won't drag it all the way back to my house and wait in case you might come get it later for free. Yes, I will immediately remove the item from Craigslist when it's taken.

If the desk is gone, they don't know what house it was in front of, originally.

Old 10-31-2017, 06:29 PM

6,568 posts, read 4,960,720 times
I am looking for a vintage gas stove. I'm desperate enough to take a newer one at this point for now. I find 2 vintage ones within an hour of me in marketplace this morning - horrible pix, no detail. They both say they work though. So I asked questions and get junk for answers!

First one (ad said she used it):Hi! Do you have measurements for this?

Do the burners/oven need to be lit with a match? And you still use it?

Thanks so much

Her response: Yes

To be fair, it's probably a truthful response? But unhelpful.

Second one - this ad says it's hooked up but that's it. And the pix on both ads were dark, blurry and far away.
Hi! Do you still have this? You said it's still hooked up, do you use it?

Brand/model?

Do the burners/oven have to be it with a match?

Do you have measurements?

What are on the sides? The middle is the oven I'm assuming but I can't tell if both sides are warming or storage or what.

That was a lot of questions - sorry! And thank you.��

Response: I believe warming. Want to see it? It's in East End of ......

Ok - he answered one question, sort of. And do you think I want to drive 50 minutes each way without measurements?! I think not!

These were not free items, they were over $100. One of them had been listed long enough for him to drop his price. I can see being lazy and not doing a correct ad, but wow when someone asks specific questions? Do you think someone is going to drive out - with a helper, give you $150, haul off a heavy item without knowing if it fits? (apparently they are).

Old 11-06-2017, 09:28 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,729,081 times
"Gotta talk it over with the wife".

Old 11-07-2017, 08:05 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,372,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I am looking for a vintage gas stove. I'm desperate enough to take a newer one at this point for now. I find 2 vintage ones within an hour of me in marketplace this morning - horrible pix, no detail. They both say they work though. So I asked questions and get junk for answers!

First one (ad said she used it):Hi! Do you have measurements for this?

Do the burners/oven need to be lit with a match? And you still use it?

Thanks so much

Her response: Yes

To be fair, it's probably a truthful response? But unhelpful.

Second one - this ad says it's hooked up but that's it. And the pix on both ads were dark, blurry and far away.
Hi! Do you still have this? You said it's still hooked up, do you use it?

Brand/model?

Do the burners/oven have to be it with a match?

Do you have measurements?

What are on the sides? The middle is the oven I'm assuming but I can't tell if both sides are warming or storage or what.

That was a lot of questions - sorry! And thank you.��

Response: I believe warming. Want to see it? It's in East End of ......

Ok - he answered one question, sort of. And do you think I want to drive 50 minutes each way without measurements?! I think not!

These were not free items, they were over $100. One of them had been listed long enough for him to drop his price. I can see being lazy and not doing a correct ad, but wow when someone asks specific questions? Do you think someone is going to drive out - with a helper, give you $150, haul off a heavy item without knowing if it fits? (apparently they are).
Speaking as someone who bought a vintage 1952 Chambers commercial stove for $200 on Craigslist and then had it restored (similar restored stoves to mine listed at $8000-$10,000), I can tell you that many sellers have no idea what they have. They simply inherited the stove from their grandmother who passed away, or it was in the basement of the old house they just bought, etc. It is often not even hooked up to a gas line, so they will not know if it has ignition switch, or a warming oven (btw the Chambers stove has storage cabinet, not warming oven).

It is up to you to research the product and its capabilities. If it is unknown (e.g. can't be tested because no gas hookup) then the price should reflect your risk.

Old 11-07-2017, 08:12 AM

20,090 posts, read 8,995,406 times
too many scammers on CL for me to bother.

Old 11-07-2017, 08:49 AM

17,262 posts, read 21,991,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
too many scammers on CL for me to bother.

Another tip: Lets say your phone number has 00's in it......use a capital letter OO instead so it screws up the bot's trying to text. Same can go for 1 and l

So:

904-710-50XX

In the ad use letters O/L
9O4-7lO-5OXX
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business