Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 08:53 AM

6,575 posts, read 4,966,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Speaking as someone who bought a vintage 1952 Chambers commercial stove for $200 on Craigslist and then had it restored (similar restored stoves to mine listed at $8000-$10,000), I can tell you that many sellers have no idea what they have. They simply inherited the stove from their grandmother who passed away, or it was in the basement of the old house they just bought, etc. It is often not even hooked up to a gas line, so they will not know if it has ignition switch, or a warming oven (btw the Chambers stove has storage cabinet, not warming oven).

It is up to you to research the product and its capabilities. If it is unknown (e.g. can't be tested because no gas hookup) then the price should reflect your risk.
I completely agree with you! Either it's just a hunk of metal to them, or they think the few rusty pieces they have is worth a fortune.

However, that doesn't excuse someone from taking simple measurements and writing or photographing the logo.

One of these was listed as "still hooked up" the other "still works". I know many people who use them as canning stoves or holiday stoves in their basements or garages so I felt my questions were fair. i.e. do you still use it? Then you say "it came with the house" "grandma did until she passed last year" "I did but wanted a self cleaning oven".

Give me a brand/model and a decent pic and I can figure out the rest. Otherwise I'm flying blind. It's too bad because they were $100 and $150 and looked to be in good shape. I would have brought one home this week. But they way they were both listed, I may as well just go to a tag sale.

I'll keep an eye on them but I'm juggling too much right now to go on a wild goose chase with someone who's not 100% interesting in taking my money.

OTOH I had two great experiences this week with sellers. And this fall I've sold 2 different truck boxes that I've been advertising for a few years, and was given more money that I'd asked for both times. One guy didn't even want to open it, took one measurement, threw it in his bed and ran.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 10:23 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,554,080 times
I have used Craigslist for many years. I browse it every night for deals and 'saves, favorites.' Sold 3 motorcycles for my Father in Law, a car, and bought and sold tools, cars for myself and family members, never one issue. All things sold were at my home, all things bought I drove to theirs. Once, even to top of state. When you find a great deal, the drive can be worth it. Wife loves that car!
Sorry for all who've had bad luck. Not me, and I will continue to use Craigslist.

edit: Even made friends with people who've responded to my ads/or me theirs. Lots of nice people go to Craigslist guys and gals. Don't get scared by the horror stories you read here, LOL!

Old 11-07-2017, 03:03 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,989,042 times
My coolest purchase off Craigslist was my 1914 Victrola with about 50 records for $150 bucks. I met at the seller's place and you could tell he was truly upset to be selling it. It was his grand parent's who bought it new in Chicago. It was passed down to his parents who passed it down to him. Now, none of his children wanted it so he was forced to sell due to him downsizing his house.

For my funniest Craigslist interaction, I was looking at used vehicles and I saw a used truck for a decent price. Judging from the pictures, it was a project truck but it looked to be complete at least. I emailed him asking what work was completed and what work still needed to be done. I got a reply minutes later that said. "You ask too many questions, I don't think this truck is for you." I doubt that this was some sort of scam because it was local and it was only 3,000. Of course, who knows.

Old 11-07-2017, 08:57 PM

17,708 posts, read 29,804,344 times
Nextdoor.com as the first place to sell stuff.
Doesn’t sell; it goes to the alley for “free”.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:49 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,940,183 times
I do craigslisting. I've only sold one item, a clarinet, but I've given away a lot of stuff on the curb free. And I've bought several pieces of used furniture.

And I enjoy browsing. It's amazing to me what lovely things people will give away free or really cheap vs. things that are a pile of crap they're trying to sell. Or pieces that NO ONE WILL WANT they're just trying to avoid dump fees.

And then "___" but it can probably be fixed easily. No it can't.

Fun to browse.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:23 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
I have been clearing my parents' house. Many items are simply packed for future distribution. Many items were given away free on Craigslist. And several items were sold on Craigslist.

I was under a lot of pressure to clear the place before renovations began. Some days I had 5+ buyers coming to the house for heavy items (appliances, furniture). Many of the buyers are really just kind of adventurers. Those with an interest in meeting/seeing what they have not seen before locally. Several tried to wander off and tour the house looking for perhaps things I would part with that were not advertised; I quickly learned to contain items to secured areas.

The email responses were so often just nuts; thought I would post a few silly email exchanges for your entertainment:

item: Last Chance! Wood Patio Settee..think its Redwood..moving tomorrow so great deal at $20
Buyer email: I live 2 hours away, can you deliver?
Me: sent to trash

item: Handmade Tiffany lamp, $15....so cheap because we are moving
Buyer email: Can you send me photos of other pieces made by the same artist?
Me: here's links to other things we are selling in stained glass, same artist
Buyer: Can you bring all your pieces to Sunnyvale so I can see them (2 hours south)

item: Wood podium/book stand. $45, value is over $200, perfect shape & we will even throw in the magnificent dictionary it is pictured with.
Buyer email: What dictionary is it?
My response: I'll reduce it to $35. Its Websters Third New International Dictionary, unabridged
Buyer email: What edition?
a reply from be as a Buyer and a Seller. As a buyer, the lack of info can be frustrating.

As Buyer
ad: 100 pounds of float copper (no photo; within an hour drive)
me: Do you have a photo? or if I am in the vicinity can I take a look.
Seller: they are in buckets and buried under snow.
me: sent to trash

As Seller
Item: Something worth roughly $50-$80. Posted with photos and a good description. Post for $60 stating it is fairly firm.
Buyer: I like it. Would you take $10?
me: sent to trash

On a related matter,
As a Landlord, I listed a place for $1200 rent and the two fell off. I started getting very weird calls asking about cramming six elderly and unrelated people on the same lease...then I visited the house and realized at $100 "advertised rent" I had entered the twilight zone of renters.

One more
My daughter is at a fundraiser selling donated goods for a student trip. They are selling pairs of jeans for $1. (I was thinking--why? It is a fundraiser. An old coot argues with one of the teen girls that he should get 6 pairs for $1. and underneath the pile of jeans were other things from the sale.

Humans. I think we are unlearning our ability to communicate with one another. We also suffer from mass delusions, such as getting $10,000 for a $100 item or Getting a $10,000 item for $100. And worse getting upset about not getting it.

They all come from the same Twilight zone where there is no recognition of reality.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:24 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,989,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post

Humans. I think we are unlearning our ability to communicate with one another. We also suffer from mass delusions, such as getting $10,000 for a $100 item or Getting a $10,000 item for $100. And worse getting upset about not getting it.

They all come from the same Twilight zone where there is no recognition of reality.
The worst part is if you really did have a 10,000 dollar item for sale at 100, you would still get those morons who would offer you 10 and then get mad when you don't accept it.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:24 AM

17,285 posts, read 22,013,755 times
visit don't even reply . com

He posts hilarious craigslist ads gone bad

Old 11-20-2017, 01:51 PM

3,417 posts, read 7,786,636 times
We retired and downsized from a 2500 sq ft house plus 1000 sq ft guest house into an RV and a 5X7 storage unit. Started decrapping several years beforehand so have experience with all types of oddities. Used eBay, CL, FB yard sale.

eBay-
Sold an antique juke box to an out of state buyer on a pickup only basis. He is buying it for his dad who has a winter home about 30 miles from me. Says his neighbor will pickup and have cash. Great, save PayPal fees. Neighbor shows up and we wrangle the jukebox into his SUV. Suddenly can't find the cash. I go to remove the jukebox. He looks again and miraculously finds it.

FB yard sale-
Did the most on here but learned a few things. I don't like haggling so price stuff very low. I put deadlines on things ie if you don't show up by 5PM without contacting me I will move on. Foolishly thought buyers would communicate with me promptly when they said they wanted an item. Actually would contact no shows and ask if they were still interested. No more of that.

Listed a beat up riding mower that needs a battery for $50. Guy offers me $60 if I can hold it a few days. I say OK. He lives about 60 miles away. Shows up as scheduled with his boys, oldest about 13, in his raggedy flatbed pickup with loose wooden boards for the bed. Seen the movie Deliverance? Pays me and he and the kids load it and drive off. Leaves an oil stain on the driveway.

CL-
Due to logistics one of the last things needed to get out of the house before closing was a 70s-80s desk and credenza, both extremely heavy. Listed on CL for free and stated bring muscle, I can't help you. Woman calls and is very interested. Explain again how heavy this is. Woman describes her 15 yo son as basically superman and can handle it. Make appointment for 7PM that night. About 730PM I text asking if she is coming. Replies she is in the next town over with a screw in her tire. She states she will come by with her son in the morning before school. Never shows or calls/texts.

In a stroke of luck the house buyers see the CL ad and say they want it so it is left in place.

Sold hundreds of dolls at $3/each to a woman wanting to start an online doll store. She shows up in a sedan with two other people and an empty trunk. Hundreds of dolls to go in the one empty seat and the trunk. Offers $50 if I will deliver them about 50 miles away. I agree. All cash paid on delivery so that went well.

I have learned that when a buyer says they will stop by to/from picking up their kids they will never show up. If they even mention their kids I can guarantee they will be a no show.

Biggest CL win-
Selling my old childhood toys with many pictures and individual pricing totaling about $3K.

Guy calls-a collector it turns out-and wants almost everything. Asks where I am. He's never heard of it. What? He is in a city 150 miles away. What?

I posted the listing in the wrong city!

I apologize and move the listing. A few days later he calls me still wanting the items and willing to make the trip. We talk about payment and, besides trying to hide this from his wife, can't get the total in cash. In the end he says about $2700 cash and the balance in PayPal. I agree but money must be in PP before he leaves.

Shows up as scheduled, buys nearly everything without haggling, and had the total amount in cash. Win-win!

Old 11-21-2017, 01:24 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,770,552 times
I have used CL several times, but I don't have any of the funny stories here to share. I never bought or sold expensive items via CL. Most of my transactions were seemingly normal. Reading this thread has been very amusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business