Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 08:30 AM

10,393 posts, read 5,524,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_of_DC View Post
Oh, goodness... I know all of that already. I know it is not an alternative... as I stated, I meant SP... go back and read the original post... that might help you understand why my first post in this thread was worded the way it was.

But you seem "stuck" on what you want to believe: That only you can understand this information. Or that I don't, even if you don't know me.
When you made the following statement, it was pretty clear that you didn't know what you are claiming above.

Quote:
My business was a DBA for many, many years...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 09:16 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,820,334 times
When I started out I consulted with an attorney that specialized in LLCs and small business organization. In the end I decided to go the sole proprietorship route because the attorney explained in depth that an LLC poorly organized, improperly run, without actual partners, and finally co-mingling of funds from personal sources was too easy to "pierce" in the case of a liability suit. Since I started with my own money, was the lone entity with a pretty low impact product, I went SP and bought a good insurance policy.

At least consult with an attorney that specializes in small business set up to see what will work for you. Best of luck in your new business.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:46 AM

55 posts, read 136,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaekn View Post
Uh, no.

Please do not incorporate unless you must. There are very stringent guidelines in terms of business organization and paperwork/records you must keep. You will also be taxes at the corporate level and the personal level for wages you pay yourself. I can't tell you how many times I've seen 1-2 person companies who incorporate and ruin themselves.
AMEN & Thank you!!! Also, with a D.B.A vs LLC, to file a D.B.A is generally free and if you don't make any money, you don't make any money and file as such, with no penalties. However, with an LLC, you don't pay any money upfront...but it's different. You will be required to pay a huge fee the next year just for having filed as such (and they're not going to tell you-they assume you already know when you get the letter to pay them in the mail...) whether you make money..or you don't! It will come as a total shock, if you've never had to pay a fee with the state revenue for not making any money but If you file an LLC with your Secretary of the State...you will be forced to cough up $250 (or more) fee!

It just makes no sense to me to file higher than a Doing Business As license, if it's not financially necessary. It could work against you, rather than for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business