U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 07:54 PM

1,948 posts, read 2,482,616 times

Advertisements

Sears just announced that they will be closing multiple stores before the end of the year. They will not announce which stores or when they will close them. They continued to say that they would just not open the next day and then post a message on the door that they are permanently closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 08:39 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
32,338 posts, read 58,955,542 times
I recently bought a shed kit from sears, but ordered it online and picked it up at the store, cost about half the Sears retail price. Before that I can't remember when I was there. I used to like Craftsman tools and still have some from the 70s but lately they seem to be crap. All of the Kmart's around here closed up years ago, and our Radio Shack closed a week or two ago. All this while other businesses, home sales, restaurants and upscale mall stores are thriving. Some companies have just not kept up with the changing economy and customer wishes. Some CEOs are well worth the millions they are paid, unfortunately others are not. Part of good management is where to place the stores, and closing those that don't perform. Perhaps central Oregon is a good customer base for Sears, I guess time will tell.

Everything must go: There's a flood of store closings - Mar. 7, 2014

Old 06-13-2014, 09:59 PM

164 posts, read 232,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I recently bought a shed kit from sears, but ordered it online and picked it up at the store, cost about half the Sears retail price. Before that I can't remember when I was there. I used to like Craftsman tools and still have some from the 70s but lately they seem to be crap. All of the Kmart's around here closed up years ago, and our Radio Shack closed a week or two ago. All this while other businesses, home sales, restaurants and upscale mall stores are thriving. Some companies have just not kept up with the changing economy and customer wishes. Some CEOs are well worth the millions they are paid, unfortunately others are not. Part of good management is where to place the stores, and closing those that don't perform. Perhaps central Oregon is a good customer base for Sears, I guess time will tell.

Everything must go: There's a flood of store closings - Mar. 7, 2014
I really hope a responsible guy will coming in and save Sears brand.

Old 06-14-2014, 02:11 PM

634 posts, read 768,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletchman View Post
All the K-Mart locations in central Ohio have been closing. All of them were built decades ago and never updated.
This is the issue with all these places, the 1970's are calling and they want their department stores back.

The logo alone is on life support. Only a week ago I was staring at that plain, boring, tired, box letter JC Penney sign thinking about how sad it looked. I shop there less and less, they need serious rebranding if they want to stay alive.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:14 PM

36,765 posts, read 11,752,930 times
I wish we still had some of the 70s department stores that we used to have --GEM's, Two Guys....And I couldn't care less about a store's friggin' logo, either.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:26 PM

1,948 posts, read 2,482,616 times
Brick and mortar stores are all closing up. With overnight delivery the Amazons, Parts tree, Parts train, etc., internet stores will take over.

I can get anything that I can think off off the internet and at half the price and get it in 3 days or less. If I have to drive to a store and I factor in gas and operating expense of the car, it's far cheaper to buy on the internet.

I just purchased a small tool at Sears (I was in town any way) and had to wait in line at the cash register for 10 mins because they only had one person checking people out. Every time I go there, I tell myself that I will never go back. I have never gotten in and out quickly.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:33 AM

36,765 posts, read 11,752,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
Brick and mortar stores are all closing up. With overnight delivery the Amazons, Parts tree, Parts train, etc., internet stores will take over.

I can get anything that I can think off off the internet and at half the price and get it in 3 days or less. If I have to drive to a store and I factor in gas and operating expense of the car, it's far cheaper to buy on the internet.

I just purchased a small tool at Sears (I was in town any way) and had to wait in line at the cash register for 10 mins because they only had one person checking people out. Every time I go there, I tell myself that I will never go back. I have never gotten in and out quickly.

At least they're busy. And I guess that might mean that they won't be closing any time soon.

As for me, I do no internet shopping. I want to see and inspect most of what I'm choosing to buy. Some stores will certainly close, but there will be plenty of brick and morter stores for people to shop at. You can make book on that.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:59 PM

381 posts, read 536,554 times
Retailers should take notice of Meijer here in the midwest. It's a regional superstore chain that frequently has sales and other in-store promotions.

Wal-Mart's prices have increased on many items and they certainly aren't the low price leader they claim to be. I've taken most of my business to Meijer, which is adding more stores in Ohio.

Just proves how the retail environment can change quickly and if a retailer makes the right moves they can capitalize.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:11 AM

14,925 posts, read 22,249,791 times
Not soon enough.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:28 AM

6,148 posts, read 7,500,901 times
Sears has turned into a junk store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or