U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 10:44 AM

33,855 posts, read 62,837,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethe View Post
The logo alone is on life support. Only a week ago I was staring at that plain, boring, tired, box letter JC Penney sign thinking about how sad it looked. I shop there less and less, they need serious rebranding if they want to stay alive.
I wonder what percentage of the American public is shallow enough to avoid stores based on the individual store logos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
I can get anything that I can think off off the internet and at half the price and get it in 3 days or less. If I have to drive to a store and I factor in gas and operating expense of the car, it's far cheaper to buy on the internet.
I can't get service off the internet. I can't get a knowledgeable salesperson (which some departments at Sears and Penney actually do have) to help with a purchase or answer questions on the internet. I can't feel the weight of wooden blinds on the internet, or gauge the heft of a garden tool.

The internet is great if you're all-knowing and all-powerful ... or if you don't care that you might have to return a purchase because the product looked different in reality than it did in the pretty little picture on the computer screen.

Quote:
I just purchased a small tool at Sears (I was in town any way) and had to wait in line at the cash register for 10 mins because they only had one person checking people out. Every time I go there, I tell myself that I will never go back. I have never gotten in and out quickly.
You poor thing. Such a hardship!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2020, 07:47 PM

228 posts, read 11,738 times
JC Penney as well as Macy's are in trouble so keep an eye on them.

Old 05-15-2020, 07:09 PM

1,908 posts, read 1,184,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv1985 View Post
JC Penney as well as Macy's are in trouble so keep an eye on them.
Penney files for Chapter 11 protection (5/15). Store closings imminent. I guess time will tell how many total stores will go under (I didn't see {or overlooked} any hard projections in the articles I looked at).
I have a nostalgic appreciation for JC Penney, so I hope to some degree, they can survive the viral pandemic.. and I dread a dept store marketplace w/only Wal*Marts and dollar stores..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or