U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 08:08 PM

1,850 posts, read 2,601,676 times

Advertisements

I have extensive business experience . (Consulting, mergers, leveraged buyouts, etc...)

People approach me for advice and when I respond with- "call me at my office so I can put you on my calendar, I bill at $xxx.xx/hour and we can talk for as long as you need". People act put off because I charge to talk.

People seem to think I'm going to give away 20 years of experience for free.

Everyone wants to be a big shot deal maker but no one wants to put in the work nor pay for the expertise.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 09:08 PM

358 posts, read 607,800 times
Are these professionals that are balking at your rates?

Old 05-02-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideman View Post
Are these professionals that are balking at your rates?
Sideman-

Excellent question and great intuition.

That's the issue. They're rookies. Often times folks with a desire to do things in business but they generally don't have High level business experience and my background "fascinates" them. I can see dollars signs in their eyes. They already have the mansion picked out.

They want a fast track to the top. I've spent years developing my contacts and sharpening my axe. These "groupies" want to use me to take them from zero to a hundred million with "no money down".

Old 05-03-2014, 06:06 AM

176 posts, read 198,185 times
This reminds me of an old client I had at my company who went off and ventured to create her own business. I worked with her a lot in the past so she called me to ask me for advice on several things I have extensive experience with.

When I told her I charge a fixed rate for logistics/procurement consulting she was shocked, as if my time wasn't valued.

Old 05-03-2014, 06:17 AM

698 posts, read 456,756 times
The concept of charitable or pro bono work is no doubt already understood here. So it really comes down to what sort of mix of whom you can most easily live with.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VendorDude View Post
The concept of charitable or pro bono work is no doubt already understood here. So it really comes down to what sort of mix of whom you can most easily live with.

If you cannot afford an Acquisitions adviser you certainly cannot afford to acquire a fairly decent sized business or small business for that matter.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:09 AM

3,927 posts, read 5,285,647 times
As an appraiser and RE broker, I routinely charge for 'consulting' work. It is a fixed fee, and I disclose the fee up front. Yes, I will give out generalities at the beginning and not charge for it, but when we get into the nuts and bolts, its cash on the barrel head.

Old 08-08-2014, 04:35 PM

55 posts, read 70,836 times
My suggestion would be to start a consulting business on the side because you get this request so much you needed to start a consulting business. I frequently look at things from both perspectives, so from your perspective, I do agree with you charging people because your advice isn't free, however, from their perspective, its possible you look ingenuine and want to make a buck off of them. Therefore, if you had a consulting business, people will probably accept paying for your advice.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:38 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,338,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
People approach me for advice and when I respond with- "call me at my office so I can put you on my calendar, I bill at $xxx.xx/hour and we can talk for as long as you need". People act put off because I charge to talk.
If you offered me some 'talk time' for money. I would not be interested. But if you show me what you'll produce for my business then it becomes an asset that is of value. For example if you do profit impact from marketing strategy analysis. Then you say you'll provide a best approach strategy for my business. I would pay. Because I can easily know what you'll produce and I can then compare the results to expectations.

If you just talk to me leaving me to implement your explanation I'm not gonna' pay because you're suppose to be the expert and I want an expert doing the work. If I'm not the expert why would I have *me* do the work? That would be a poor approach to applying resources.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:30 PM

6,321 posts, read 5,196,091 times
This thread is interesting to me. I'm a mental health therapist and people ask me for advice/info on mental and developmental disorders all the time. I would never think to tell them my billing rate an call me when i'm working. Different types of work i guess . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business