Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 08:23 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,094,453 times

Advertisements

Earlier today at work there was a customer who claimed that she found an item in a different spot and wanted to get that item for that price, I've offered to take her over there but couldn't prove that she found it there and told her I couldn't give it to her for that price, she was annoyed by me refusing to give her the item at the price she found it at because I had no proof that she found it there and kept on persisting me to give it to her for that price

Then out of nowhere some rude, obnoxious employee got on my case and told me to give the nice lady the item for that price in such an arrogant manner and acted like I was getting into an argument with this lady, I was so upset and felt so disrespected with the way she (the employee) treated me because I have been told by one of the managers that we weren't allowed to give discounts to items that we have no proof that were misplaced there when I've dealt with another mean customer a month ago

Fortunately the customer of today didn't get irate towards me like that one customer did a month ago, for some reason I hate dealing with customers who say they found items in the wrong spot and there is no proof that it was there and they just wouldn't listen to reason, I really hate to get in trouble because the employee had the nerve to tell me I was arguing with her when I wasn't, she totally ruined my day and I thought I was doing what the manager told me to do a month ago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 10:01 PM

23,844 posts, read 24,087,427 times
Why would where the item is in the store have an effect on its price? Do your shelf tags not have product descriptions on them?

Old 05-28-2014, 10:09 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,860,696 times
Wouldn't scanning the barcode into the register bring up the correct price anyhow...? :/

Old 05-28-2014, 10:11 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,350,712 times
I assume this was all in the same store, not a price matching of another store. Sale or sticker price and the sticker wasn't there or was mislabeled? Item scanned at the regular price? "Sorry, but I'm just not authorized to do the price reduction, would you like me to get the manager?" The other employee was out of line. Communication between employees or employees and management is discrete unless there is a fire or robbery.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:23 PM

890 posts, read 1,849,050 times
A mislabeled or miscoded item is different than a misplaced one. Toward the end of my days in retail a customer insisted on getting the clearance price on an item because they found it in the clearance aisle. I verified the item was not on clearance and told the customer that it was misplaced and it's regular price. They persisted...I asked if they had found a clearance item in with the regular priced items, would they expect to be charged more? There was no reply.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:29 PM

103 posts, read 129,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
A mislabeled or miscoded item is different than a misplaced one. Toward the end of my days in retail a customer insisted on getting the clearance price on an item because they found it in the clearance aisle. I verified the item was not on clearance and told the customer that it was misplaced and it's regular price. They persisted...I asked if they had found a clearance item in with the regular priced items, would they expect to be charged more? There was no reply.
Hahaha, thanks for that laugh. Your response was genius.

OP,

Having worked in hospitality/CS for a few years, one of the most irritating things is following standard procedure (while showing empathy to the customer) then being interrupted by another team member who wants you to break the rules.

Not only do you then look like the bad guy for doing your job, the other person looks like a hero.

I feel your pain.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passion Fruit View Post
Hahaha, thanks for that laugh. Your response was genius.

OP,

Having worked in hospitality/CS for a few years, one of the most irritating things is following standard procedure (while showing empathy to the customer) then being interrupted by another team member who wants you to break the rules.

Not only do you then look like the bad guy for doing your job, the other person looks like a hero.

I feel your pain.
I did feel like I was the bad guy and did a poor job dealing with this customer when this employee stepped in and got on my case, the customer did claim she found the item in the clearance spot when it was located right next to the clearance spot but I didn't have prove that it was there, I've had another incident a month ago where a guy got irate with me when he showed me he found a particular item in the clearance spot but I didn't have proof that it was there and was told by the manager that we're not allowed to give discounts under these circumstances.

Every time I deal with these types of customers it reminds me of the movie "Fast Times At Ridgemont High" where this customer wanted his money back on a breakfast that he already ate 3/4's of.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
The customer I've dealt with today claims she found it in the clearance section but it was located in the next section over, I hate it when customers try to get an employee to give it to the at the discount price when the manager tells them they're not allowed to.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:16 PM

820 posts, read 1,208,759 times
Pos system should have the price... I notice you ignored that from other posters.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I assume this was all in the same store, not a price matching of another store. Sale or sticker price and the sticker wasn't there or was mislabeled? Item scanned at the regular price? "Sorry, but I'm just not authorized to do the price reduction, would you like me to get the manager?" The other employee was out of line. Communication between employees or employees and management is discrete unless there is a fire or robbery.
What happened was the customer claimed she found it in the wrong spot in front of the clearance price when I've seen it located right next to the clearance section.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business