U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 02:48 AM

4,399 posts, read 9,601,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
Inventions are a really tough thing to break into. It's very expensive even just to make one prototype as you have to spend tens of thousands of dollars on molds and CAD drawing to make the molds. Not only is it very risky but its very expensive even just to get a prototype to maybe get someone to invest in or make your idea.

The other thing you need to do is get a patent, various types of patents. Patents generally cost a few thousand dollars if ou hire a lawyer even to do it yourself is not advised and pretty pricy in itself.

There are some services that advertise to help you however they all seem to be ripoffs from what I've heard.
You obviously wouldn't have a mold for a prototype. You would have the first part machined, or welded, sheetmetal or whatever.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 04:35 PM

280 posts, read 312,535 times
You can easily file a provisional patent by yourself which will protect your idea for a year, giving you time to access its viability. Go to the USPTO.GOV website and read about the process and fees. It's relatively cheap and easy. You can also search existing and pending patents to see if your idea is already out there.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:52 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,869,251 times
the people who make stuff like that are called machinists. Also makers, if you're talking plastics.

You may need a draftsman/engineer to draw up plans first, using solidworks or CAD or just paper. If you're worried about your idea getting stolen, you can include secrecy clauses, non-disclosure clauses in your contract, though, I think that only allows you to get your money back and damages if the guy steals your idea, it can't stop him from getting a patent if he goes that way.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:53 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,869,251 times
why don't you tell us what the idea is, or you could PM me/some of us the idea.

Sadly, you can feel secure doing this because your idea is probably stupid and not patentable (sorry, I don't mean it as an insult, it's just probably true)

Old 07-21-2014, 04:10 PM

25,625 posts, read 33,751,275 times
If you don't know how to make one, you really haven't invented anything. At this point you have an idea that might work or it might not.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:45 AM

125 posts, read 134,383 times
I am in the same boat. I am reaching out to a small business developer at a local university, patent agent, have done patent searches myself. But the first step for me is actually building it to see if it even works and is useful. I am using a product that already exists, taking the pieces from it that are transferrable and kind of building a prototype out of those, and other items. I will need molded plastic, but for now I am using wood that I am fabricating to mock the molded plastic pieces. This will give me a slightly heavier prototype, but if that works the lighter version of the real thing will only work better. Doing this mock build is actually cheap, and will cost me under $20 as I already have most of the items needed.

In the long run, I figure I will probably need to learn to weld (so a simple item I need I can make myself), find a manufacturer to build the plastic components, and a parts supplier. These are down the road items. Step 1, mock build it, does it work, is it actually useful. It might not work well, be completely useless, spending $20 to mock it up is better than thousands spent on patent searches, patent fee's.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:58 AM

6,321 posts, read 5,216,735 times
Is there a list of USA "makers" anywhere for items such as these? What about beyond plastic- wood or particle board?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or