Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2019, 11:18 AM

119 posts, read 120,813 times

Advertisements

I have a few questions about others online businesses

1. Do you work a traditional job also?
2. Are you retired?
3. What is your NET average income each month from your online business?
4. What type of items do you sell? (speak in generalities)
5. Where do you source your products? (again, generalities)

I'll go first.
1. Do you work a traditional job also? Yes, I work 20 hrs a wk for income and benefits.
2. Are you retired? Only in my head
3. What is your NET average income each month? $1100 a month.
4. What type of items do you sell? (speak in generalities) Mainly, Health Supplements
5. Where do you source these items? (again, generalities) Surplus Sales
6. What other un-expected benefits, financial or otherwise, have you encountered selling online? See below
7. Do you work from home? Do you enjoy it? Yes I do this from home BUT also while on the clock at my other job.
My employer is fine with it.

I ensure to get far more done, each 20 hr shift, than I am expected.
My traditional job is one 20 hr shift each week though I occasionally fill in a shift for a co-worker
This 20 hr shift usually provides me around 2.5-3 hrs of extra down time.
Even after getting far more done during the shift, than expected
We were already spending about $200 a month on ourselves for health supplements.
Now supplements we personally consume
Are factored in as business expenses.
Increasing the true profit to around $1300 a month.
Another benefit is our energy level.
I've noticed my energy level is higher than before this online side gig due to the additional supplements consumed

This gig is more than worth my time.
I earn just $3 more than min wage at my hourly job

yet it affords me 4-5 hrs of sleep time each shift
In a comfortable bed, temp controlled room, w/ a desk, fast internet & a refrigerator.
It also affords a few hours of downtime to work on my own stuff.

To be able to increase your hourly wage, while on the clock already, does anyone else do this?

Last edited by MrsLakota; 04-16-2019 at 11:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 06:09 PM

1,195 posts, read 984,525 times
I work at a supplement company, it's my full time job. On the side I'm working on building an online business.

1. Do you work a traditional job also?
Yes, it's currently the income I rely on.
2. Are you retired?
I'm 35 years away from the retirement age, unless I secure my own retirement before that. I'm not counting on social security, as that will only be 1500/month, if it's even still there in 35 years.
3. What is your NET average income each month from your online business?
Zero. So far I've invested a few hundred.
4. What type of items do you sell? (speak in generalities)
Textile/linen products.
5. Where do you source your products? (again, generalities)
Mostly in USA. I want a consistent supply that's scale-able and not vulnerable to overseas shipping issues. Made in USA would also help assure quality to consumers.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:21 PM

119 posts, read 120,813 times
Thanks for the interesting information Kynight. That's exciting. I wish you the best with your new business!

I also fear there will be no Social Security when our son is retirement age. I'll be taking mine in 20 yrs.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:29 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLakota View Post
I also fear there will be no Social Security when our son is retirement age. I'll be taking mine in 20 yrs.
As we've been hearing for around 50 years.

I'd bet on a national pension of modest size and move on with other planning. If the US abandons such a thing in one form or another, the overall problems will be so large that it will be a world of utterly different rules, and not subject to any reasonable planning now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business