U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-13-2014, 07:52 AM
 
1,318 posts, read 2,364,914 times
Reputation: 405

Advertisements

Hello,

A friend has been talking to me about affiliate marketing and the money we can make on a part-time basis when not working full-time, dealing with family, etc.

From those who has experience:

1. How much time is needed to obtain an decent income ($400-$600 per month)

2. Is there a need for affiliate marketing?

3. Is this industry over-saturated?

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-14-2014, 11:55 AM
 
Location: All Over
4,004 posts, read 5,002,974 times
Reputation: 3104
If you write about a topic your passionate about its not a waste of time but if you are getting into this solely to make money your going to be unhappy. Its gotten harder to make money. Adsense earnings are down across the board for bloggers. Affiliate program cookie length has gone in many cases from a month or two weeks are now 24 hour cookies. I used to make 300 plus a month easy and passively. Now Im lucky to squeek out a hundred bucks a month. Also dont expect this to happen overnight it takes a while to get a good pagerank and show up in search engines. To make money you have to be good with pay per actiom or affiliate programs as opposed to pay per click or ppc. Also it sounds like you dont really have a background in seo or blogging so youll take some time to learn those things. Im sure you see blogs and youtube vids with guys making 6 figures just from adsense in a month but those guys are the best of the best and probably from years ago when things were easier
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2014, 08:24 PM
 
1,318 posts, read 2,364,914 times
Reputation: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
If you write about a topic your passionate about its not a waste of time but if you are getting into this solely to make money your going to be unhappy. Its gotten harder to make money. Adsense earnings are down across the board for bloggers. Affiliate program cookie length has gone in many cases from a month or two weeks are now 24 hour cookies. I used to make 300 plus a month easy and passively. Now Im lucky to squeek out a hundred bucks a month. Also dont expect this to happen overnight it takes a while to get a good pagerank and show up in search engines. To make money you have to be good with pay per actiom or affiliate programs as opposed to pay per click or ppc. Also it sounds like you dont really have a background in seo or blogging so youll take some time to learn those things. Im sure you see blogs and youtube vids with guys making 6 figures just from adsense in a month but those guys are the best of the best and probably from years ago when things were easier
Thank you for the response.

Seems like alot of work. I also feel like I miss the boat with affiliate program. I have no internet experience or SEO and work full time as an electrical engineer.

I think I will just pass on this one. Seems like too much work for little additional income.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2014, 08:41 AM
 
Location: All Over
4,004 posts, read 5,002,974 times
Reputation: 3104
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell2525 View Post
Thank you for the response.

Seems like alot of work. I also feel like I miss the boat with affiliate program. I have no internet experience or SEO and work full time as an electrical engineer.

I think I will just pass on this one. Seems like too much work for little additional income.
Here's the thing about blogging. Some bloggers do make great money, most probably just make some beer money. If you enjoy writing in general and you wouldn't mind writing for free as a hobby then you may as well monetize your writing and try to make some money off of it. If you select a topic for your blog which your interested in you have knowledge in your head and don't have to research every article. You'll also already be keeping up with current events or new developments in that subject area so then its not work its pleasure or a hobby your making money off of. On the other hand if your simply doing this to make money I have a feeling you'll be disapointed with your earnings and will soon get tired and give up as it's really not worth the time and effort outlay if your just doing it for a check.

If your an electrical engineer would you have any interest blogging on that subject or is that more your job not something you enjoy? If your looking to make money publishing an ebook and putting it on amazon may be a better route than blogging as people have to pay to read your stuff vs just hoping to make some money off affiliate programs.

I have a few blogs on subjects I enjoy and have knowledge about so it's not really that much work as I have knowledge plus I enjoy the subject matter and enjoy chatting with others invovled in the same stuff so helps to build a community of readers.

Do a bit of research on amazon ebooks on the kindle kdp marketplace and that may be a better money maker for you. If you have any questions about that feel free to ask, I have about 8 ebooks published. I normally make like $150 a month off of them all together being sold. Not a ton of money but its recurring and passive income. Once you write the book thats your initial effort, after that the book is just sitting making money though if you really wnat it to sell well you should continue promoting it. Maybe start a blog that promotes your ebook or at least the subject of it. You can then run amazon ads on your blog and not only make money from your book sales but also make money from the affiliate program of selling your books so double your income.

Youtube is also a very powerful tool for ranking stuff on google. Because google owns youtube it ranks well so make videos to promote your ebooks or blog posts.

As far as how to blog and stuff. It cant hurt to try and see what you think. Blogger is free and super easy to use. I'd suggest setting up a free blogger website. It will be for example...electricalengineering.blogspot.com though if you want you can pay just $10 or buy your own domain for like .99 cents and have a custom domain so just electricalengineering.com instead of .blogspot.com. It's very easy to setup and use and doesn't cost you anything so why not try, if you hate it your not out anything, if you like it maybe then invest in hosting and a domain, again not much money and give it a real go.

Social media is also a powerful way to drive traffic. Twitter, pinterest, instagram, etc. Facebook is a powerful way to do this if you setup groups in the same subject as your blog or book. HERE is some info on how to use social bookmarking

Backlinks are not as important as they used to be, however they still hav power with google as long as your getting good backlinks and not garbage links your buying from linkfarms. HERE is some info on what backlins are and how to use them.

HERE is a a few places where you can get good backlinks to your site from.

Lastly, HERE is some tips on how to boost your adsense revenue.

If you don't mind sharing some ideas of subjects you were thinking about writing about I'd be more than happy to offer some more relevant tips and ideas for you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2014, 05:08 PM
 
1,318 posts, read 2,364,914 times
Reputation: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
Here's the thing about blogging. Some bloggers do make great money, most probably just make some beer money. If you enjoy writing in general and you wouldn't mind writing for free as a hobby then you may as well monetize your writing and try to make some money off of it. If you select a topic for your blog which your interested in you have knowledge in your head and don't have to research every article. You'll also already be keeping up with current events or new developments in that subject area so then its not work its pleasure or a hobby your making money off of. On the other hand if your simply doing this to make money I have a feeling you'll be disapointed with your earnings and will soon get tired and give up as it's really not worth the time and effort outlay if your just doing it for a check.

If your an electrical engineer would you have any interest blogging on that subject or is that more your job not something you enjoy? If your looking to make money publishing an ebook and putting it on amazon may be a better route than blogging as people have to pay to read your stuff vs just hoping to make some money off affiliate programs.

I have a few blogs on subjects I enjoy and have knowledge about so it's not really that much work as I have knowledge plus I enjoy the subject matter and enjoy chatting with others invovled in the same stuff so helps to build a community of readers.

Do a bit of research on amazon ebooks on the kindle kdp marketplace and that may be a better money maker for you. If you have any questions about that feel free to ask, I have about 8 ebooks published. I normally make like $150 a month off of them all together being sold. Not a ton of money but its recurring and passive income. Once you write the book thats your initial effort, after that the book is just sitting making money though if you really wnat it to sell well you should continue promoting it. Maybe start a blog that promotes your ebook or at least the subject of it. You can then run amazon ads on your blog and not only make money from your book sales but also make money from the affiliate program of selling your books so double your income.

Youtube is also a very powerful tool for ranking stuff on google. Because google owns youtube it ranks well so make videos to promote your ebooks or blog posts.

As far as how to blog and stuff. It cant hurt to try and see what you think. Blogger is free and super easy to use. I'd suggest setting up a free blogger website. It will be for example...electricalengineering.blogspot.com though if you want you can pay just $10 or buy your own domain for like .99 cents and have a custom domain so just electricalengineering.com instead of .blogspot.com. It's very easy to setup and use and doesn't cost you anything so why not try, if you hate it your not out anything, if you like it maybe then invest in hosting and a domain, again not much money and give it a real go.

Social media is also a powerful way to drive traffic. Twitter, pinterest, instagram, etc. Facebook is a powerful way to do this if you setup groups in the same subject as your blog or book. HERE is some info on how to use social bookmarking

Backlinks are not as important as they used to be, however they still hav power with google as long as your getting good backlinks and not garbage links your buying from linkfarms. HERE is some info on what backlins are and how to use them.

HERE is a a few places where you can get good backlinks to your site from.

Lastly, HERE is some tips on how to boost your adsense revenue.

If you don't mind sharing some ideas of subjects you were thinking about writing about I'd be more than happy to offer some more relevant tips and ideas for you.
Thank you soooo much for responding. I just got back from vacation and late responding

I have a friend that does affiliated marketing and he is always telling me how well he does. Maybe like $500 week I think just promoting products online. Honestly, I don't have a passion for this, just thought the money seems cool.

No, I don't have a passion for blogging

I prefer to write a E-Book about trading the futures market. This is something I enjoy doing part-time with paper money until I develop my own strategy and am profitable month-to-month. I enjoying the markets each day and trying to make a profit all from just watch a chart and taking risk.

As far as blogging, I would only blog if I am profitable and making my own money. But that's a few years from now.

So in a nutshell, I rather write a E-Book and sell it.

Thanks for all your help thus far and any help you can provide.

Last edited by darrell2525; 07-20-2014 at 05:21 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2014, 09:13 PM
 
323 posts, read 374,522 times
Reputation: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell2525 View Post
Thank you soooo much for responding. I just got back from vacation and late responding

I have a friend that does affiliated marketing and he is always telling me how well he does. Maybe like $500 week I think just promoting products online. Honestly, I don't have a passion for this, just thought the money seems cool.

No, I don't have a passion for blogging

I prefer to write a E-Book about trading the futures market. This is something I enjoy doing part-time with paper money until I develop my own strategy and am profitable month-to-month. I enjoying the markets each day and trying to make a profit all from just watch a chart and taking risk.

As far as blogging, I would only blog if I am profitable and making my own money. But that's a few years from now.

So in a nutshell, I rather write a E-Book and sell it.

Thanks for all your help thus far and any help you can provide.
E-book on futures trading is a complete waste of time. esp since you only trade with monopoly money.

I think you have better chance with affiliate thing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2014, 06:35 AM
 
Location: All Over
4,004 posts, read 5,002,974 times
Reputation: 3104
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell2525 View Post
Thank you soooo much for responding. I just got back from vacation and late responding

I have a friend that does affiliated marketing and he is always telling me how well he does. Maybe like $500 week I think just promoting products online. Honestly, I don't have a passion for this, just thought the money seems cool.

No, I don't have a passion for blogging

I prefer to write a E-Book about trading the futures market. This is something I enjoy doing part-time with paper money until I develop my own strategy and am profitable month-to-month. I enjoying the markets each day and trying to make a profit all from just watch a chart and taking risk.

As far as blogging, I would only blog if I am profitable and making my own money. But that's a few years from now.

So in a nutshell, I rather write a E-Book and sell it.

Thanks for all your help thus far and any help you can provide.
Yeah sounds like blogging probably isn't for you. It's a lot of time and effort with not a lot of return for the vast majority of people. It's also an ongoing thing if you want to stay ranked.

You don't have to be in love with writing but you do have to enjoy it somewhat. As long as the niche or topic of your blog is something that interests you, it should still be enjoyable though.

An ebook on futures could actually do pretty well if you write it good and get a nice cover made and promote it a bit. Also an ebook is a one time outlay of effort and then its forever on the amazon kdp marketplace making you money hopefully.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2014, 08:31 PM
 
1,318 posts, read 2,364,914 times
Reputation: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhboy View Post
E-book on futures trading is a complete waste of time. esp since you only trade with monopoly money.

I think you have better chance with affiliate thing.
Its not a waste of time. Paper trading is how I perfect my strategy. Its win win, cause I am practicing under real day to day scenarios. once I acheive my goals with paper money, I move to real money. Once I achieve my goals with real money, I can share what I know.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2014, 08:33 PM
 
1,318 posts, read 2,364,914 times
Reputation: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
Yeah sounds like blogging probably isn't for you. It's a lot of time and effort with not a lot of return for the vast majority of people. It's also an ongoing thing if you want to stay ranked.

You don't have to be in love with writing but you do have to enjoy it somewhat. As long as the niche or topic of your blog is something that interests you, it should still be enjoyable though.

An ebook on futures could actually do pretty well if you write it good and get a nice cover made and promote it a bit. Also an ebook is a one time outlay of effort and then its forever on the amazon kdp marketplace making you money hopefully.
Thank you doodlemagic

Yes, I think ebook on futures is what I want to do. But I have some goals and challenges to accomplish first. I been doing it for about 2 years, and down about $2000.00 in real cash. So I am perfecting my strategy with paper money until goal is reached.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2014, 07:57 AM
 
Location: Wartrace,TN
6,295 posts, read 9,890,902 times
Reputation: 12378
Assuming you are profitable some day trading futures why would you bother with writing an "E-book"? A quick Google search for "Futures trading E-book" shows over 718,000 hits.

The entire trading subject is saturated with useless systems, educational vendors, trading rooms and magic "green light, red light" systems. Your E-Book would just be thrown on the manure pile of "trading vendors" even if it WERE a useful book.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:45 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top