U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 08:28 PM

1,850 posts, read 2,599,144 times

Advertisements

Why is it that when you're struggling with getting your business started, on the verge of getting evicted from your home, your car might get repossessed, credit card companies are calling,etc....no one is around.

After years of struggle, you hit your stride and have massive success with your business.....all of a sudden everyone wants to be your friend.

Why is that?

I would say this would be the worst thing about attaining massive success. The groupies come out of the wood work.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 08:35 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,337,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
Why is that?
It depends on how you go about starting the biz. If you do it with co-founders then it's not so lonely. But if done alone... well...

BTW I've noticed that companies who end up on the fast track to $1B are starting with much larger founding teams. It used to be 1 to 3 now it's approaching 5 to 7.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:30 AM

6,954 posts, read 20,496,735 times
So this post is really a "who is my true friend" issue? Asking why people don't want to engage with someone struggling and about to be evicted vs. wanting to engage with someone who has hit his stride and is happy and confident. Err.....gee I dunno..... rather be friends with someone who is overwhelmed and stressed over someone happy and confident? That's kind of a no brainer....

Old 08-04-2014, 10:01 AM

19,191 posts, read 58,323,386 times
"After years of struggle, you hit your stride and have massive success with your business.....all of a sudden everyone wants to be your friend.

Why is that?"

Centuries of epigenetics providing breeding rights and life to those who sucked up to the king or tribal leader. Those who didn't died or were killed off.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:05 PM

2,157 posts, read 2,883,545 times
The worst type of sucking up people are who you thought were close friends and your very own family members.

As I am starting my business venture at this very moment, not a single client are friends or family. They need the products I sell but they rather buy it from someone else. Hell, even if my prices are competitive or better, they still won't lift a finger to help. That's where I am at now. And all those time I fed them when they were hungry, housed them when they didn't have a place to live, lend them money or gave them money when they had none, and now they won't even lift a finger. Such ungrateful people.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:09 AM

5,389 posts, read 3,618,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
The worst type of sucking up people are who you thought were close friends and your very own family members.

As I am starting my business venture at this very moment, not a single client are friends or family. They need the products I sell but they rather buy it from someone else. Hell, even if my prices are competitive or better, they still won't lift a finger to help. That's where I am at now. And all those time I fed them when they were hungry, housed them when they didn't have a place to live, lend them money or gave them money when they had none, and now they won't even lift a finger. Such ungrateful people.
I have made it a policy not to sell to friends or family unless they beg me to, which they have at times. I just don't think it's a good idea to depend on your close circle for your income.

I know many business models expect you to market to people you know but it's just not my thing.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:14 AM

28,308 posts, read 30,868,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
"After years of struggle, you hit your stride and have massive success with your business.....all of a sudden everyone wants to be your friend.

Why is that?"

Centuries of epigenetics providing breeding rights and life to those who sucked up to the king or tribal leader. Those who didn't died or were killed off.
^^Best answer^^

Old 08-05-2014, 12:00 PM

8 posts, read 8,022 times
Direct sales and network marketing are very big on starting with friends and family. I don't like to mix them together. I need my friends and family to support me through hard times and its hard to do when you are trying to sell a business to them (especially if you approach them with multiple ventures). No one will buy into a business if the owner is struggling. They will think the business is not successful. So market to strangers that want what you have and use your family and friends for venting and celebrating.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:34 PM

4,590 posts, read 3,530,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
I would say this would be the worst thing about attaining massive success. The groupies come out of the wood work.
You can avoid this by not telling anyone know how successful you really are. I would prefer to have everyone (except spouse) think that I'm less successful than I really am. Fewer problems that way.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:52 PM

2,157 posts, read 2,883,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I have made it a policy not to sell to friends or family unless they beg me to, which they have at times. I just don't think it's a good idea to depend on your close circle for your income.

I know many business models expect you to market to people you know but it's just not my thing.
Now, if I was trying to push some over priced MLM products that can be purchased elsewhere cheaper. Yes, I can understand they not wanting to do business with me.

But that's not the case. For me, it's more on a personal level. Especially those that I helped along the way even when I didn't have much. But that's what you do for friends and family. You help. I gave money away to a lot of these people without ever having them repay me when they didn't have money to buy clothes, food, pay their credit card bill, pay their rent. All these people I stood by them when they where in a bottomless pit. Even when my wife was against it, I helped them anyway because that's what you do for friends and family. Never once ask it back. The one time I ask if they could scratch my back once. Not a single one of them volunteer.

I have other friends and other relatives that I didn't do much for them. I'm good with them. I gave none and I expect none from them. Those that was about to be homeless and I step in, those that didn't have money and I clothe them, and fed them. They should be more considerate and be like...man, all those years that Calnbs and his wife gave to us and helped us and never once ask for anything back....we should support them as a thank you since we are already buying these products from someone else already, lets support Calnbs' business....

I guess the saying is true, you don't know who your true friends and family are until you are in need of their help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business