U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2014, 03:13 PM

3,770 posts, read 5,822,516 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am wanting to create 2 separate companies with similar products. They wouldn't directly compete, because one would be marketed wholesale to retailer and the other direct to consumer via internet each with their own product designs.

Here's an example: I make belt buckles. I have business A where I manufacture and sell to stores. I also have company B, where I manufacture and sell online direct to consumers. They are all belt buckles, but each company has their own designs. There are no overlapping exact same products.

Anyway, I am just one person for now. I want to do both businesses. For branding purposes, I don't want to look like I am the same person doing 2 businesses. So I will have 2 different websites, business names, mailing addresses and phone numbers. Does anyone see a problem with this?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 03:38 PM

9,261 posts, read 17,898,021 times
I don't see any issues for this sort of product. Some industries would require disclosure of this sort of activity but I don't think the belt buckle world is one of them.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:39 PM

3,866 posts, read 5,574,501 times
Yes. You'll be very, very busy!

Old 08-04-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
Yes. You'll be very, very busy!
lol....it does sound like twice the work. it wouldn't be for the long term. building up each business to be full time would take a while, could be months or years. so it would be nice to not put all my eggs in one basket and have possible 2 income streams.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:48 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
33,116 posts, read 60,126,875 times
I had a business for 17 years, and sold both wholesale and retail. While everything was custom made there was definitely overlap and in some cases I sold to a wholesale customer and directly to their retail customer without any problem. If it concerns you have one company with two DBA names, but many companies do both wholesale and retail successfully. In the end I found the wholesale business to be far more lucrative and far less work/hassle, and no longer do retail.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I had a business for 17 years, and sold both wholesale and retail. While everything was custom made there was definitely overlap and in some cases I sold to a wholesale customer and directly to their retail customer without any problem. If it concerns you have one company with two DBA names, but many companies do both wholesale and retail successfully. In the end I found the wholesale business to be far more lucrative and far less work/hassle, and no longer do retail.

Thanks, I favor the wholesale option too, for the same reasons. I would do retail, until wholesale built up in volume, because early on I'd have the extra time and need the retail income.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:51 AM

4,103 posts, read 4,594,200 times
I think in some business niches your retail customers will want you to sign an agreement that you wont sell your items retail. I cant think of any examples but Ive certainly heard of it. I think the reasoning is the retail customers don't want to be competing with you, their supplier.

Edit: I think guns are this way. If you contact Ruger or Winchester to try to buy directly from them they'll send you a generic "Were sorry, but due to the terms with our distributors you must purchase these items retail from one of our distributors. Thank you and blah blah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or